Star Sixes - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just noticed that it starts tonight and Scotland are playing twice

Not too shabby a line up

Rab Douglas

Barry Ferguson

James McFadden

Don Hutchison

Mark Burchill

Jackie McNamara

Simon Donnelly

Lee McCulloch

Charlie Miller

Stephen McManus

The Rest of The World side has Albertz, Negri, Petrov, Ronald de Boer, Mendieta and Van Hoojidonk amongst others

DwArPiHV4AIITwa.jpg

DwDZzwBX4AAyTZC.jpg

Edited by Ally Bongo

I managed to catch most of the games last night.  Scotland were solid if unspectacular against ROI (although McCulloch's first goal had definite shades of his cracker against Ukraine!) and definitely benefited from Hunt getting sin binned.  NI got leathered by ROW in the first game and a Scotland win seemed a certainty however for some reason Matteo decided to play a 1-3-1 formation and every time NI came forward it was 2-3 vs 1 and they took advantage easily.  McFadden and Miller were honking.

51 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm going Sunday. 

McFadden was a waste of a shirt. 

You’d have thought a player like him would excel in this format.

Was Owen Coyle playing for RoI or did I imagine him in the team.

Quite a few ex ‘well players in the squads. Jones from NI played for us in the 2011 Scottish cup final. Apparently scored more goals last night than in his Motherwell “career”.

:lol:

15 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

You’d have thought a player like him would excel in this format.

Was Owen Coyle playing for RoI or did I imagine him in the team.

Quite a few ex ‘well players in the squads. Jones from NI played for us in the 2011 Scottish cup final. Apparently scored more goals last night than in his Motherwell “career”.

Coyle and Niall Quinn both I the ROI squad!  McAteer said his sole reason for picking Quinn is that he likes a beer and is good on the Karaoke!! 

Charlie Miller and Simon Donnelly were both ridiculously hyped up by the Glasgow press when they were youngsters weren't they ? Made silly predictions for their future and wild comparisons with great players of the past. 

Another lesson for us never to get too excited and not to burden our young Scots players of today with unrealistic sky high expectations.

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Charlie Miller and Simon Donnelly were both ridiculously hyped up by the Glasgow press when they were youngsters weren't they ? Made silly predictions for their future and wild comparisons with great players of the past. 

Another lesson for us never to get too excited and not to burden our young Scots players of today with unrealistic sky high expectations.

See also John Fleck, Mark Burchill, Tony Watt...etc etc etc!!

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

Sadly reminded me of his latter days in a Scotland shirt.

He didn’t really get latter days in a Scotland shirt due to Levein and injuries.

Realky enjoyed that Scotland v England game, I don’t think they were expecting Scotland to be quite as up for it.

36 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Got a wee chuckle at Ferguson and McCulloch pulling out the squad when we weren’t making the final...

Some things never change.

Both denied they were out last night, both pulled up injured within 10 minutes 😂😂😂

39 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Got a wee chuckle at Ferguson and McCulloch pulling out the squad when we weren’t making the final...

Some things never change.

I had a chuckle when Ferguson was saying he’d make sure they weren’t in the bar last night!! 

On 1/6/2019 at 9:57 PM, sbcmfc said:

Btw, Scotland were robbed of a place in the final by the refs  decision  to send off Mcateer but not Owen.

not that mcateer made much of it.

I don't think the ref was going to do anything until McAteer booted Owens backside. 

Typical Owen though. Got a wee snidey kick in then bottles it when he's confronted. 

Apparently Owens mate was there and giving McAteer verbals from the sidelines too which is partly what enhanced the meltdown.