There is no dark side of the moon - Page 10 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

There is no dark side of the moon

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Bamboozling stuff.

Have to admit in my hungover state I can't spot the difference here...

darkmatter.gif

If I had to guess I'd say the one on the left is gradually getting dragged into the centre without constant replacement, whereas the one on the right has new material always forming. So the one on the right is like a continuous loop that would have no break, whereas the one on the left, if left to run, would gradually diminish. That would also fit with the graphs. 

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Bamboozling stuff.

darkmatter.gif

The spiral arms of the galaxy on the right are moving much faster inwards than the ones on the left. They invented dark matter to explain why this happens.

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Bamboozling stuff.

darkmatter.gif

That could also be what you might see in a hungover state, staring up at the stars with double vision and the whole sky rotating above. 

5 hours ago, phart said:

Another meteor in Russia this one fizzled out before it got to ground though, getting closer, just need a slightly bigger one and then everything changes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/ba63l7/new_meteor_in_russia_krasnoyarsk_3_hours_ago/

I know you're a man of science, phart, so you'll appreciate that "getting closer" isn't really a very scientific way to look at this.

I used to drop in & out of meteor watching when I was younger, & that looks to me like a pretty run of the mill event. We would record meteors & fireballs according to magnitude, start/end point, angular distance, etc. & send them off somewhere or other if we spotted anything a bit unusual. That looks to me like it has a magnitude of (give or take) -10 & a fairly low angular distance, so it's well within normal parameters for a fireball event.

I believe that in Russia it is now compulsory to have a dashcam, hence the proliferation of Russian car smash videos on YouTube, but it also means that fireballs are getting picked up on camera in a way that they never were before; it doesn't mean they are any more frequent, closer or more dangerous.

Of course, it doesn't mean something nasty won't hit us, but the statistical likelihood is exactly what it was before YouTube.

5 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I know you're a man of science, phart, so you'll appreciate that "getting closer" isn't really a very scientific way to look at this.

I used to drop in & out of meteor watching when I was younger, & that looks to me like a pretty run of the mill event. We would record meteors & fireballs according to magnitude, start/end point, angular distance, etc. & send them off somewhere or other if we spotted anything a bit unusual. That looks to me like it has a magnitude of (give or take) -10 & a fairly low angular distance, so it's well within normal parameters for a fireball event.

I believe that in Russia it is now compulsory to have a dashcam, hence the proliferation of Russian car smash videos on YouTube, but it also means that fireballs are getting picked up on camera in a way that they never were before; it doesn't mean they are any more frequent, closer or more dangerous.

Of course, it doesn't mean something nasty won't hit us, but the statistical likelihood is exactly what it was before YouTube.

It was the nihilist speaking not the scientist lol

9 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Nothing has ever (or will ever) hit the earth.

I'll bite

How did meteor craters get to be where they are ?

Is this going to be the same response as to dinosaur fossils - as in billions being spent going around the world planting them ?

636404742115100135-meteor-crater-aerial.

wolfe-creek-crater-image-2.jpg

250px-STS009_Manicouagan.jpg

Impact craters reveal one of the most spectacular geologic process known to human beings. During the past 3.5 billion years, it is estimated that more than 80 bodies, larger than the dinosaur-killing asteroid that struck the Yucatan Peninsula 66 million years ago, have bombarded Earth. However, tectonic processes, weathering, and burial quickly obscure or destroy craters. If Earth weren't so dynamic, its surface would be heavily cratered like the Moon or Mercury.

22 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I'll bite

How did meteor craters get to be where they are ? (Why even call them that?)

Is this going to be the same response as to dinosaur fossils - as in billions being spent going around the world planting them ?

(Nope, I've never given that response. In fact, I doubt that dinosaurs ever existed.)

636404742115100135-meteor-crater-aerial.

wolfe-creek-crater-image-2.jpg

250px-STS009_Manicouagan.jpg

Impact craters reveal one of the most spectacular geologic process known to human beings. During the past 3.5 billion years (pah-lease) it is estimated that more than 80 bodies, larger than the dinosaur-killing asteroid (pah-lease) that struck the Yucatan Peninsula 66 million years ago, (pah-lease) have bombarded Earth. However, tectonic processes, weathering, and burial quickly obscure or destroy craters. If Earth weren't so dynamic, its surface would be heavily cratered like the Moon or Mercury.

As I'm sure you know, calling it a 'meteor crater' doesn't mean that it's a meteor crater.

If they are 'meteor craters', where is the meteor (or the meteor pieces?)

It looks like something that has bubbled up (lava?) and left a pit (like acne).

13 hours ago, phart said:

Sunlight hits it everyday.

Yes, but I first responded to you 'meteor' post, so you know I was referring to a solid that could leave what is being referred to as 'impact craters'.

8 hours ago, Denny’s Yard said:

Genesis 19:24-25

Revelation 8:1-13

Excellent! Great job! :ok: 

(+1)

The example from Genesis tells of God's judgement on two cities by sulphur and fire.

The example from Revelation tells of God's wrath during the Great Tribulation.

(I'll have to reword my post now... )

"No meteor or asteroid (random or otherwise) has ever or will ever hit the earth."

12 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

As I'm sure you know, calling it a 'meteor crater' doesn't mean that it's a meteor crater.

If they are 'meteor craters', where is the meteor (or the meteor pieces?)

Meteor is short for Meteoroid - a small rocky or metallic body in outer space

Most are fragments from Comets or Asteroids - most are small and burn up or explode when they hit earth's atmosphere

Bits of the big ass meteors are still in the craters where they exploded and broke up

There are thousands of meteor pieces around the world - for sale

http://www.meteoritemarket.com/

One exploded over Siberia in the last 48 hours

https://www.sciencealert.com/another-large-meteor-has-exploded-over-siberia

39 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

(Nope, I've never given that response. In fact, I doubt that dinosaurs ever existed.)

So how have all these pesky bones turned up all over the World - which brings us back to someone planting fakes if they never existed.

Not only have they turned up but now that excavation technology has reached incredible levels they are turning up more frequently than ever before

meteors are stuff that don't hit the surface Meteorite's do hit the surface and there are loads of pieces of it.

Scotty you've cloaked yourself in wilful ignorance for so long these conversations now pass you by. There are over a thousand tracked and witnessed Meteorite falls that also resulted in specimen collection.

They've literally tracked and watched a hit then went there and found pieces more than a thousand times. Yet you armed with an incomplete book edited by persons unknowns you can't even read without someone translating it for you can make the declaration that nothing has hit the earth ever, even though you've only been on earth 50 years or so.

It's ridiculous and merits no real response or answer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_impact_craters_on_Earth

It's not a subject that makes pleasant reading and i cant remember exactly but since the dinosaur killer 65 million years ago there have been something like 70 or 80 similar sized meteor hits from then till now

So it works out that they happen every 800,000 years or so on average

Humans in our current form have only been around 200,000 years max so the odds of one of us experiencing a major extinction event in our lifetime are very small.

Arguably humanity could survive a big one - it all depends where it hits

Think that's why the dinosaurs were fucked - they were unlucky

1 minute ago, Eisegerwind said:

Feeling even more insignificant now. How come they never evolved into something more advanced like us fine creatures given all that time?

They did and they built the pyramids then left earth.

8 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Feeling even more insignificant now. How come they never evolved into something more advanced like us fine creatures given all that time?

It's a brain thing

Being 20 feet tall and having 13 inch teeth in some cases is pretty advanced .....