There is no dark side of the moon - Page 24 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

There is no dark side of the moon

On 7/18/2020 at 2:46 PM, phart said:

I love that one of the authors says “I don’t think this is very likely either” 😂

My personal opinion, at the moment is that life might be very common, but the huge majority of it will be single called, primordial soup style life. On earth, it took a few hundred million years for life to occur, but it then took two and a half billion years to make the step from single celled to multi celled life. When that step happened, the diversity of life forms went crazy. Loads of cycles of dominant life forms, then when something with the potential for intelligence arrived, it only took a few million years, a blink of an eye to get technological. So I suspect the big jump is single to multi cell. If that’s the case, there will be system after system which has primordial oceans, but virtually no advanced civilisations.

• 1 month later...

So, you know that whole ‘we’re all living in a computer simulation’ idea? Turns out that the code needed to get quantum computers to work is the same as the corrections needed in the hologram attic theory of space time, where space and time are illusions caused by the corrections which keep quantum dimensions stable.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-space-and-time-could-be-a-quantum-error-correcting-code-20190103/

9 hours ago, biffer said:

So, you know that whole ‘we’re all living in a computer simulation’ idea? Turns out that the code needed to get quantum computers to work is the same as the corrections needed in the hologram attic theory of space time, where space and time are illusions caused by the corrections which keep quantum dimensions stable.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-space-and-time-could-be-a-quantum-error-correcting-code-20190103/

Once we are smart enough to discover how it works, is that when they just destroy us with some virus or other, then they build a new one?

10 hours ago, biffer said:

Man checking all the links and their links sends you down a rabbit hole. I forgot what i started watching!

On 9/17/2020 at 7:36 AM, Orraloon said:

Once we are smart enough to discover how it works, is that when they just destroy us with some virus or other, then they build a new one?

That's an interesting question. It would depend on their ethical stance. There are ongoing discussions on whether, if an AI achieves sentience, we have the right to turn it off. That also drives what we might be able to do with simulations as computing power expands - should we construct self aware 'consciousness' within a computer programme which has free will within the limited constraints of that environment, only to destroy it once we have finished with our own interests? What's the difference between that and creting pseudo humans with limited life spans for other experiments? A similar thing could apply to whoever wrote our code, if it were to be the case that we're just a simulation. 

3 hours ago, biffer said:

That's an interesting question. It would depend on their ethical stance. There are ongoing discussions on whether, if an AI achieves sentience, we have the right to turn it off. That also drives what we might be able to do with simulations as computing power expands - should we construct self aware 'consciousness' within a computer programme which has free will within the limited constraints of that environment, only to destroy it once we have finished with our own interests? What's the difference between that and creting pseudo humans with limited life spans for other experiments? A similar thing could apply to whoever wrote our code, if it were to be the case that we're just a simulation. 

Voyager 1 has crossed the 14 billion miles away mark this week

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status/

Edited by phart

1 hour ago, phart said:

Voayger 1 was sent to explore the outer solar system.

That web page just gives it's tracking numbers.

I tried to look it up what it's actually doing, just curious.
I take it it's not sending photos or anything back? I also read it's gonna run out by about 2025?

25 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I take it it's not sending photos or anything back? I also read it's gonna run out by about 2025?

The original mission of Voyagers 1 and 2 was to explore Jupiter and Saturn but they are still sending back data as they continue their journey into interstellar space.

Considering that these spacecraft were launched in 1977, I think that is pretty impressive.

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/

13 hours ago, Kirk said:

As a wean, I used to collect Brooke Bond cards as my folks drank their tea.  One set was on space vehicles.   Apollo was all the rage then.

The last few cards were just cartoons of future projects such as the voyager series.   As As the years rolled by, the images of the planets and their moons from Voyagers and others have been an absolute joy.

On 9/19/2020 at 9:28 AM, Orraloon said:

The original mission of Voyagers 1 and 2 was to explore Jupiter and Saturn but they are still sending back data as they continue their journey into interstellar space.

Considering that these spacecraft were launched in 1977, I think that is pretty impressive.

Yeah, the Voyager 1 completed its primary mission in 1980, Voyager 2 in 1989 (even though Voyager 2 was launched first). But these missions are built with significant redundancy where possible, so all the kit just keeps working, for more than 40 years now. So seeing as they were still going, it made sense to keep using them for opportunistic measurements, like trying to identify at what distance the suns particle emission is balanced by the general particle flow outside our solar system. A lot of these missions go way past their original projected lifetime, for example the Hubble telescope is way past it’s projected lifetime but we might still get another ten years out of it so long as nothing critical fails. My favourites though are the Spirit and Opportunity rovers on Mars. They were originally designed for a 90 day mission starting in January 2004.   Opportunity finally lost contact in June 2018, having pootled around on the surface of Mars for 5111 days (Mars days that is, equal to 5498 earth days).

On 9/19/2020 at 9:28 AM, Orraloon said:

Aye it's pretty impressive, just genuinely had nae idea what they were all about. Never been that interested in space etc.

7 hours ago, biffer said:

Yeah, the Voyager 1 completed its primary mission in 1980, Voyager 2 in 1989 (even though Voyager 2 was launched first). But these missions are built with significant redundancy where possible, so all the kit just keeps working, for more than 40 years now. So seeing as they were still going, it made sense to keep using them for opportunistic measurements, like trying to identify at what distance the suns particle emission is balanced by the general particle flow outside our solar system. A lot of these missions go way past their original projected lifetime, for example the Hubble telescope is way past it’s projected lifetime but we might still get another ten years out of it so long as nothing critical fails. My favourites though are the Spirit and Opportunity rovers on Mars. They were originally designed for a 90 day mission starting in January 2004.   Opportunity finally lost contact in June 2018, having pootled around on the surface of Mars for 5111 days (Mars days that is, equal to 5498 earth days).

Imagine still using a phone, camera, computer from 1977...

8 hours ago, exile said:

Imagine still using a phone, camera, computer from 1977...

It's probably even earlier than that, when you take into account build time, testing time etc, it's maybe 1973!

These missions, and similar ones, were key in driving things like the development of digital cameras.

Edited by biffer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, exile said:

For our round earthers to enjoy

I was in Kenya in February out in the middle of nowhere and it's amazing to look up and see the cosmos with no light pollution. You really understand why so many of our ancestors had such rich culture about it.

Breathtaking!

• 1 month later...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/watch-japan-hayabusa2-mission-deliver-ryugu-asteroid-samples-earth-live-stream-today-2020-12-05/

A Japanese capsule returned to Earth on Saturday carrying a special delivery: the first rock samples from beneath the surface of an asteroid. When it plummeted to Earth, the capsule provided a stunning show above the Australian outback, streaking across the sky as a dazzling fireball. 

Project manager Yuichi Tsuda called the mission a "rare event in human history." It marks just the second time pristine, untouched material directly from an asteroid has been brought back to Earth. 

• 2 weeks later...