There is no dark side of the moon - Page 22 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

There is no dark side of the moon

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

Correct.

'God' is my God, and 'science' (appears to be) your god.

Your worldview holds 'science' above God, whereas I hold an omnipotent God above what you believe passes for science.

It's my belief that the answers you are looking for can't truthfully be found within what you are willing to accept.

I'm not making any statement for against religious belief, or even stating one is 'above' the other. I'm simply pointing out that if you believe ultimately everything has a supernatual explanation that lies beyond the realm of science, then there is no need to appeal to science or struggle to show that your beliefs are supported by science.

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

Circumnavigation would be the same on a flat earth as it would be on a globe.

One would just (generally speaking) follow the lines of latitude.

If you're thinking that I'd hit Antarctica on a flat earth, then that could only occur if I were heading South, and not East.

Thanks!

So can you tell me why, on a flat earth, a ship sailing due east on a completely straight course, would feel a tug on its rudder that would drag it round in a perfect circle as it circumnavigated the south seas? What force would be tugging on the rudder to make it veer to the left, rather than travel straight on to point b?

This could be done as a real experiment...

antarctica test 3.jpg

Edited by exile

7 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Last time you tried, it was demonstrated that you were wrong.

2 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

If you can remember where you posted that video before you will see.   (Not this thread, I think.)   You also had the photo of the ships bobbing up and down in the swell.

I think that was the discussion about how that long bridge was two inches longer at road level than at sea level. He was confusing curvature with distance I think.

No where in that video is the height of the observer mentioned. Horizons vary according to how high you are. I don't think he can grasp this stuff.

The Mathematics behind this Calculation

Diagram

This calculation should be taken as a guide only as it assumes the earth is a perfect ball 6378137 metres radius. It also assumes the horizon you are looking at is at sea level. A triangle is formed with the centre of the earth (C) as one point, the horizon point (H) is a right angle and the observer (O) the third corner. Using Pythagoras's theorem we can calculate the distance from the observer to the horizon (OH) knowing CH is the earth's radius (r) and CO is the earth's radius (r) plus observer's height (v) above sea level.

Example

Sitting in a hotel room 10m above sea level a boat on the horizon will be 11.3km away. The reverse is also true, whilst rowing across the Atlantic, the very top of a mountain range 400m high could be seen on your horizon at a distance of 71.4 km assuming the air was clear enough.

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm

4 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Not surprisingly, I subscribe to the Biblical explanation,  however, if you were to search 'the moon doesn't reflect the sun' you'll get loads of information that challenges that the moon reflects sunlight.

Here's just one take...

There's zilch in there that proves anything or puts forward any even remotely plausible theory of why the Moon shines. However, credibility flies out of the window early on with the statement that the Moon is "observably not a solid body" and "largely transparent". This is actually pretty straightfoward to disprove with basic observation skills as the Moon eclipses background stars almost continously; and most evidently when it's a crescent up to half. Star charts can give you clear predictions of when this will happen, and precise times they will emerge from the eclipse.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

It's a remarkable light source that can do this...

Phasesmoon-1024x439.jpg

You can even see shadows the sun casts on the craters in those photos.

And it looks different from where I live. 

That is really remarkable. 

18 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

If you can remember where you posted that video before you will see.   (Not this thread, I think.)   You also had the photo of the ships bobbing up and down in the swell.

Was this one I think...

Edited by Toepoke

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Was this one I think...

Aye that was part of the nonsense. I was mainly thinking of the video about being able to see New Orleans skyscrapers 40km away. Thplinth's geometry above helps explain.

2 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Aye that was part of the nonsense. I was mainly thinking of the video about being able to see New Orleans skyscrapers 40km away. Thplinth's geometry above helps explain.

Aye you are welcome I have been working on it a while. (Hat-tip: Pythagoras).

edit: so I guess this means that even looking at the moon from earth you are not looking at the whole circumference of the moon but a lesser horizon view?

Edited by thplinth

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Aye you are welcome I have been working on it a while. (Hat-tip: Pythagoras).

edit: so I guess this means that even looking at the moon from earth you are not looking at the whole circumference of the moon but a lesser horizon view?

I have a suspicion about the accuracy of the calculations though.   At least on my computer's calculator here.   What resolution do you get when comparing (radius of the earth)squared with (radius of the earth + height of skyscraper or mountain)squared?

And re. the moon, aye you'll be right, except for the mountains keeking over the edge.   I'll let you do the sums 😋

On 4/9/2020 at 3:59 AM, Scotty CTA said:

Hi Nobby, 

Hope you, your wife, and your two boys are all doing well.

God Bless.

Scotty

All good thanks Scotty, hope you well ! I've got three boys, all of whom are currently in lockdown with me and my partner and her 3 kids,  its interesting !!!

Hope you and yours are well and keep safe !!

Been following Elon Musk's evil genius plan to monopolise global communications....

https://inews.co.uk/news/science/starlink-satellites-tracker-elon-musk-spacex-satellite-how-see-uk-tonight-2545078

That's going to be some amount of hardware up there for future rocket launches to try and dodge.  Going to cause problems for observing the night sky too.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Been following Elon Musk's evil genius plan to monopolise global communications....

https://inews.co.uk/news/science/starlink-satellites-tracker-elon-musk-spacex-satellite-how-see-uk-tonight-2545078

That's going to be some amount of hardware up there for future rocket launcheave you seen the s to try and dodge.  Going to cause problems for observing the night sky too.

Have you seen them yet? Much brighter than expected.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Have you seen them yet? Much brighter than expected.

Had a look the other evening but the sky wasn't really dark enough.  By the sounds of it they'll be viewable on an increasingly regular basis though!

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

That's going to be some amount of hardware up there for future rocket launches to try and dodge.  Going to cause problems for observing the night sky too.

Heard of Kessler Syndrome?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

It's also making astronomy much harder just at a time when we're getting really interesting info in that field.

It's not going to happen with just these but we're filling the jug so to speak.

Edited by phart

11 minutes ago, phart said:

Heard of Kessler Syndrome?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

It's also making astronomy much harder just at a time when we're getting really interesting info in that field.

It's not going to happen with just these but we're filling the jug so to speak.

Yeah, it's starting to get a bit busy up there. They are talking about maybe eventually having about 30,000 of these Starlink satellites up there. At about 230 kg each, that's a lot of stuff.

56 minutes ago, Farcity said:

I went out last night around half nine and never seen anything. Venus, however, has been incredibly bright. 

Apparently it's around 3am when they are visible in GB. There is a website which gives you times when they are passing over this part of the world.

45 minutes ago, jailender said:

Apparently it's around 3am when they are visible in GB. There is a website which gives you times when they are passing over this part of the world.

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/

I think it's various times. 

Who would've thought that pubs being shut would lead to men countrywide standing in their garden and staring into the night sky looking for something, anything, to help them through this most testing of times. 

17 hours ago, Farcity said:

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/

I think it's various times. 

Who would've thought that pubs being shut would lead to men countrywide standing in their garden and staring into the night sky looking for something, anything, to help them through this most testing of times. 

That website is brilliant. Overlaying the satellite's track over a google street view image of your house is very clever. 

43 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

That website is brilliant. Overlaying the satellite's track over a google street view image of your house is very clever. 

Just had a look couldn't be more user friendly Goof find farcity.