There is no dark side of the moon - Page 11 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

There is no dark side of the moon

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_impact_craters_on_Earth

It's not a subject that makes pleasant reading and i cant remember exactly but since the dinosaur killer 65 million years ago there have been something like 70 or 80 similar sized meteor hits from then till now

So it works out that they happen every 800,000 years or so on average

Humans in our current form have only been around 200,000 years max so the odds of one of us experiencing a major extinction event in our lifetime are very small.

Arguably humanity could survive a big one - it all depends where it hits

Think that's why the dinosaurs were fucked - they were unlucky

The debate around how long dinosaurs survived after the impact is interesting. The different factors that affected different creatures (falling temperatures, loss of habitat, impact on the food chain, etc.) has led to speculation that their demise could have taken anything from a few years to 10,000+ years. Inevitably, different species probably shuffled off the planet in different timescales.

I read something a while ago as well that said that had the dinosaurs in the vicinity of the hit been sufficiently sentient to be able to look at the sky & make observations, they'd still probably never have known it was coming, as the compressed air would have vapourised them before they'd have spotted it.

I think what humanity possesses that dinosaurs (obviously) didn't is the capacity to predict, control & alter our environment so that if we predict an impact, the preparation time would still allow for some salvaging of the human race.

24 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Yeah, but why didn't they evolve to have better brains and form  an advanced society, were they all full on Thatcherites.

Think it's to do with the oxygen levels at that time and that they didnt need to

It's like Crocodilians - while they have still evolved over time they havent changed much because they are really succesful at exploiting a niche and their habitat hasnt changed dramatically

We are their greatest threat

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Think it's to do with the oxygen levels at that time and that they didnt need to

It's like Crocodilians - while they have still evolved over time they havent changed much because they are really succesful at exploiting a niche and their habitat hasnt changed dramatically

We are their greatest threat

What was the lifespan of yer average dinosaur. Second thoughts I should really read a book! Third thought , new thread.

10 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

What was the lifespan of yer average dinosaur. Second thoughts I should really read a book! Third thought , new thread.

Depends which dinosaur and it's metabolism

T Rex - about 30

Diplodocus about 70 ... unless it got eaten

Edited by Ally Bongo

52 minutes ago, thplinth said:

How real is that image? I read it was 26 thousand light years away. Surprised you can achieve this resolution without heavy manipulation to get the result you think you should be seeing. 

You could ask "how real is any image?". It's an image based on radio signals. Those signals will have been enhanced by computer to produce a picture that we can "see". I would say that using the word "photographed" might be a bit misleading?

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

How real is that image? I read it was 26 thousand light years away. Surprised you can achieve this resolution without heavy manipulation to get the result you think you should be seeing. 

Is it not an image generated by Radio telescopes? I believe the collaboration was called "Event Horizon"  and involve multiple arrays  aso the fella on the news mentioned 50 million light years away.. 

23 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

The debate around how long dinosaurs survived after the impact is interesting. The different factors that affected different creatures (falling temperatures, loss of habitat, impact on the food chain, etc.) has led to speculation that their demise could have taken anything from a few years to 10,000+ years. Inevitably, different species probably shuffled off the planet in different timescales.

I read something a while ago as well that said that had the dinosaurs in the vicinity of the hit been sufficiently sentient to be able to look at the sky & make observations, they'd still probably never have known it was coming, as the compressed air would have vapourised them before they'd have spotted it.

I think what humanity possesses that dinosaurs (obviously) didn't is the capacity to predict, control & alter our environment so that if we predict an impact, the preparation time would still allow for some salvaging of the human race.

Not only that - but "usually" when big objects from space hit they usually plump down and the massive explosion of rock and gasses goes straight up into the air - like a nuclear bomb (and as seen with the crater photos previously).

That's why scientists were not convinced for ages that it was wholly responsible for the end of the dinosaurs

But they have discovered with the Chicxulub hit is that the crater, rather than being circular, is oval shaped like an egg.

This means that before the impact it was travelling downward and horizontally meaning that the blast went somewhat sideways and out rather than straight up

That was the rub it would seem

1 minute ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

"Event Horizon"  

Freaked the shite out of me and i've never been able to watch it again

I suppose it's difficult to say what we mean by an "image" if it's from radio signals but if it's all part of the electromagnetic spectrum. then it can be "seen" as just another kind of "light". I suppose it depends if you consider an infra red/thermal image/night vision as "seeing". Its not what you actually see, obviously, but its what you "would" see if you had eyes that detected that part of the spectrum. 

Even for things we can actually see things are not necessarily clear cut - we can see starlight that is trillions of miles away and we can definitely "see" that - so definitely "real" - no fakery or conspiracy required - but even so what is it we are actually seeing? - a blurry dot, probably distorted and our eyesight may not be great in the first place. 

But I admit it's hard to conceive of resolution at those distances. 

Edited by exile

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Pushed back til Thursday due to high altitude winds.

Also tomorrow is the Israeli moon landing...

It's pretty mad (in a good way) all these different countries are sending missions to the moon now. Let's hope it's a success. Making travel to the moon common is the first big step in spreading our fledgling space wings.