Unpopular Opinions - Page 9 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Unpopular Opinions

4 minutes ago, derekfaejapan said:

How many transgender people have you met in your life?

As i work in a large organisation and a building of roughly 800 people i have came across two in my time

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Unless you’re talking about intersex wouldn’t science agree that you’re biologically a man or women?

In the last several decades scholars and activists have come to understand gender to be a “social construct.” This means that gender is a socially agreed upon set of rules and behaviors. Because these rules vary between different cultures and change over time, many have argued that gender doesn’t have the biological basis that people have traditionally thought.

This doesn’t mean that gender isn’t real. It has very real impacts on our lives and how we experience the world. It just means that it doesn’t have a strong demonstrable basis in human nature.

The second component to gender is what’s known as gender expression. Our gender expressions fall along the spectrum of masculinity and femininity, and don’t necessarily need to align with our gender identities. This means that not all people who identify as men have a masculine gender expression, and not all people who identify as women have a feminine gender expression. Because masculinity and femininity exist along a spectrum, people can fall further toward masculinity, further toward femininity, or anywhere in between.

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

In the last several decades scholars and activists have come to understand gender to be a “social construct.” This means that gender is a socially agreed upon set of rules and behaviors. Because these rules vary between different cultures and change over time, many have argued that gender doesn’t have the biological basis that people have traditionally thought.

This doesn’t mean that gender isn’t real. It has very real impacts on our lives and how we experience the world. It just means that it doesn’t have a strong demonstrable basis in human nature.

The second component to gender is what’s known as gender expression. Our gender expressions fall along the spectrum of masculinity and femininity, and don’t necessarily need to align with our gender identities. This means that not all people who identify as men have a masculine gender expression, and not all people who identify as women have a feminine gender expression. Because masculinity and femininity exist along a spectrum, people can fall further toward masculinity, further toward femininity, or anywhere in between.

Yeah that sounds like it was written by an activisit, not a scientist or medical professional. 

4 minutes ago, exile said:

There is a Glossary of terms here

https://lgbtqia.ucdavis.edu/educated/glossary

I see there is a 'bear community'... (I think that may have come up on another thread)

“Our vision for the LGBTQIA+ Resource Center is a space that not only fights against sexism, cissexism/trans oppression/transmisogyny, heterosexism, monosexism, and allosexism, but also fights racism, sizeism, ableism, classism, religious oppression, ageism and nationalism/isolationism.”

They’d be a right laugh down the pub. 

20 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Yeah that sounds like it was written by an activisit, not a scientist or medical professional. 

As i said earlier google is your friend

Plenty of scientific research online 

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

As i said earlier google is your friend

Plenty of scientific research online 

I’m not ignorant of the topic. And I’m not sure how much scientific research id find that would back up your quote about gender being a social construct. 

33 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’m not ignorant of the topic. And I’m not sure how much scientific research id find that would back up your quote about gender being a social construct. 

Took me 2 minutes

https://twitter.com/WiringTheBrain

DTSE2a3WsAAiQC1.jpg

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

As i work in a large organisation and a building of roughly 800 people i have came across two in my time

That's not science though, that'll be from social scientists who the replication crisis is showing us aren't scientists.

2 minutes ago, phart said:

read this 3 or 4 times now what is it meant to demonstrate. It's talking the difference between sexes (male and female) between mammals and also humans. I've missed a part of the debate it seems, but can't figure out where i'm going wrong.

Glad it’s not just me.

On 3/4/2019 at 4:04 AM, thplinth said:

Do you have mental health issues for thinking you are a man Derek? 

biology is not black and white. This is how you get two fucking heads on one fucking body.

the chimera hypothesis on homosexuality is interesting and and I dare say trans is in there as well.

Been a while since you’ve quoted me on here. I hope you’re well, man!

Well, how many genders are there?

If someone is born with two heads then we can all see and accept they have two heads...If someone is born with a penis then they aren’t suddenly a woman just because they want to be.

Edited by derekfaejapan

Isn't it just obvious there are two biological sexes and a kaleidoscope of personality traits.  These traits now being grouped into stereotypes and generalised as gender.

This letting biologically male people into women's sports is not right.  Surely it's possible to be open-hearted and see the problem with this.  Maybe i am behind the times.  I'm not going to be zealous about it but i'll be interested to know how my attitudes change if at all.  Many, many, many people were against gay marriage not 15 years ago.  Almost to a person they'd be in agreement now.  This seems different though as the sport thing doesn't seem fair. 

Edited by PapofGlencoe

2 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Isn't it just obvious there are two biological sexes and a kaleidoscope of personality traits.  These traits now being grouped into stereotypes and generalised as gender.

This letting biologically male people into women's sports is not right.  Surely it's possible to be open-hearted and see the problem with this.  Maybe i am behind the times.  I'm not going to be zealous about it but i'll be interested to know how my attitudes change if at all.  Many, many, many people were against gay marriage not 15 years ago.  Almost to a person they'd be in agreement now.  This seems different though as the sport thing doesn't seem fair. 

The problem with these SJW’s, extreme lefties and ‘look at me and how nice I am’ folk on social media is that. Thankfully this is isn’t a society issue here in Japan, not yet anyway.

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I consider it immoral in fighting to allow it. Male humans evolved to have distinct advantages over their female counterparts in combat. Just in the same way Woman have the advantage when you go into extreme endurance events.

2 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

51 minutes ago, phart said:

I consider it immoral in fighting to allow it. Male humans evolved to have distinct advantages over their female counterparts in combat. Just in the same way Woman have the advantage when you go into extreme endurance events.

Couldn’t agree more. But you’re both transphobic and have just committed violence on the trans community. Please attend your local LGBTQISPHY centre for thought crimes and re-education therapy. 

I am curious about why people are so concerned with this issue, why not just let people be? 

If people are so concerned about sports and toilets, what if all were simply made gender-neutral? 

Just now, exile said:

I am curious about why people are so concerned with this issue, why not just let people be? 

Because some people want to control speech and what people think, if you don’t agree 100% your a bigot. In my experience it’s the activists who aren’t even trans who make all the noise and are using Trans people to further some agenda. 

What an adult does with their bodies is there choice but giving hormone blockers to childen and other forms of treatment is child abuse.