Unpopular Opinions - Page 23 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Unpopular Opinions

4 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Been 10 years since I left Oz, it wasn’t a very tolerant society back then. I’ve met Aussies on travels over the last few years, and it doesn’t seen much better. 

I don’t think it’s any less tolerant than other countries I’ve lived and traveled in. 

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Australian rugby player, banned for posting that meme on his social media.

Sorry should have been more clear in my first post*

Trust me. It’s news here.

Sorry that was my fault. I thought I was in a different thread. Didn't realise you were going for "unpopular".

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

Been 10 years since I left Oz, it wasn’t a very tolerant society back then. I’ve met Aussies on travels over the last few years, and it doesn’t seen much better. 

I was visiting relatives in Perth in 2000.  My aunt and uncle moved out there in the early sixties, my cousin's a couple of years younger than me and was born there.   They were going to take me out one night and before we left my cousin said to me - "just so you know, this was not my idea". 

We went to what was apparently a Perth institution, it was a sort of variety theatre and because they were closing down after decades, they were doing a sort of "greatest hits" compilation of shows from years gone bye.

It was one of those times when you my jaw literally dropped as it was one of the most racist shows I'd ever seen in my life.  I can't remember the number of times that I turned to my cousin and mouthed WTF.  It was like a combination of Mind Your Language, Love Thy Neighbour and the Black and White Mistrel show.,

The crowd were lapping it all up.

The guy behind all was a Glaswegian ex-pat, name of Max Kay. 

Just googled him and it looks like he died recently. As you can see he was"much loved".

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/perth-bids-farewell-to-much-loved-entertainer-max-kay-ng-b881223891z

Edited by aaid

It was Perth that I stayed for the best part of a year. I was treated fine, as I am white, and not quite a pommie, but even I got annoyed at the anti British shite during the Olympics. 

I worked with a Botswanan, he used to get a ridiculous amount of racist shite. The general population seemed to hate the Japanese and Koreans, and pretty much everyone was homophobic. The aboriginal community were treated like utter shite.

There were 4 Aussies on my tour of North Korea last year, you’d think the people into that kinda thing would be a bit more worldly, but 3 were outright bigots, the other guy was fine. 

Great country, ruined by the settlers. 

5 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Israel Folau should be allowed to continue playing rugby 

Banned On 10 April 2019, in another Instagram post, Folau posted a screenshot of a meme which listed various groups, including “homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves”, bearing the words, “WARNING: HELL AWAITS YOU. REPENT. ONLY JESUS SAVES”.

Isn't that a genuinely held belief by a lot of people? Probably including pillars of society, British politicians (e.g. DUP?). Hate speech or freedom of speech??

7 minutes ago, exile said:

Isn't that a genuinely held belief by a lot of people? Probably including pillars of society, British politicians (e.g. DUP?). Hate speech or freedom of speech??

Probably. Across different religions. 

He wasn’t targeting anyone in particular, his beliefs should be ridiculed not silenced or censored. And he shouldn’t lose his livelihood over it either. 

Problem with hate speech is you’re allowing the state or someone in a position of power to define what it is. 

41 minutes ago, exile said:

Well boris doesn't like black people, muslims or us jocks so you're probably right.

45 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Probably. Across different religions. 

He wasn’t targeting anyone in particular, his beliefs should be ridiculed not silenced or censored. And he shouldn’t lose his livelihood over it either. 

Problem with hate speech is you’re allowing the state or someone in a position of power to define what it is. 

I tend to agree (in principle; I haven't checked the case details). It must depend on the detail though. 

Hatred is a feeling; or attitude; can you be punished for that? A threat of, say, violence, is criminal anyway, whoever it's directed against.

In this case the threat was of something nasty in the afterlife, somewhat outside the jurisdiction of legislation. 

3 minutes ago, exile said:

I tend to agree (in principle; I haven't checked the case details). It must depend on the detail though. 

Hatred is a feeling; or attitude; can you be punished for that? A threat of, say, violence, is criminal anyway, whoever it's directed against.

In this case the threat was of something nasty in the afterlife, somewhat outside the jurisdiction of legislation. 

I don’t think there’s much more to it. His card was probably marked when he said in 2017 he wouldn’t support gay marriage for religious reasons. 

I refuse to believe that most gay people care what a Rugby player thinks. 

Most people are living in sin according to these folk. 

7 hours ago, kumnio said:

Easily the most racist western country I have experienced.  Even more racist than France.

It seems almost everyone who's visited Australia has a racism story. Mine is seeing a jackbooted skinhead in Melbourne randomly abusing Asians in the street, calling them cockroaches.

PIAK, i think you need to go outside your outback conspiracy bunker more often. :P

5 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

It seems almost everyone who's visited Australia has a racism story. Mine is seeing a jackbooted skinhead in Melbourne randomly abusing Asians in the street, calling them cockroaches.

PIAK, i think you need to go outside your outback conspiracy bunker more often. :P

Good job you're not dyslexic 🤔

2 hours ago, bonzo said:

Good job you're not dyslexic 🤔

Had no idea what you meant, then coming back to read Tidier's post i finally got it.

Might not be dyslexic, but definitely a bit slow. :lol:

On 6/25/2019 at 11:10 PM, Dave78 said:

Sssshhhh that bunker is a secret ...

I'm not saying there aren’t racists in Australia, you get them everywhere but I don’t think it’s anymore racist than other western countries. 

12 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Sssshhhh that bunker is a secret ...

I'm not saying there aren’t racists in Australia, you get them everywhere but I don’t think it’s anymore racist than other western countries. 

Have you been to Darwin , nt , northern queensland , even Perth was mental for it am going back a few years right enough

always thought it bizzare tho the difference btwn oz & nz indig

9 minutes ago, Pocketrocketman1888 said:

Have you been to Darwin , nt , northern queensland , even Perth was mental for it am going back a few years right enough

always thought it bizzare tho the difference btwn oz & nz indig

My sister lives in North Queensland so been there a fair bit, lived rurally for work as well. Lived in NZ too and you’re right  about the differences in terms of indigenous relations but it’s a complicated one 

On 6/18/2019 at 2:36 PM, kumnio said:

There are two genders.

True, you will get rare genetic mutations (correct use of the word) but that doesn't change the answer IMO. 

People can identify as whatever they want, I don't care one little bit. thats entirely up to them. But in plain terms, if you have a knob and can't piss for an easy example, you will see someone trained in male specific medicine, and the opposite for female issues. We can be inclusive to people, without needing to create new genders, it just seems a load of new shite to me.

It is not even debatable.