Unpopular Opinions - Page 21 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Unpopular Opinions

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I know loads of teachers. Some of them do a lot of hours. Lots of them just do the basic minimum. They don't need to do extra hours unless they want to scale the ladder to promoted posts. Plenty teachers are quite happy to just remain being basic teachers. They will put in a few extra hours here and there to make themselves feel a wee bit better. You have got to try quite hard to get sacked from teaching. Until recently it was almost impossible to get sacked. 

A lassie that was in my class at school got the bullet quite easily 

I wish there was teachers like that when I was at school 

Edited by UpTheSlope

7 hours ago, Alan said:

Teachers as a collective are moaners. Always have been.  Half of them are teachers as they couldn't get any other job.  Think back at school and how many were genuinely competent.  Everyone has been to school so they have a rough idea of job and then when they start work they have forgotten about environment, work and stress while ignoring fantastic holidays, decent pay and teaching hours 9 to 3:30 with 1 hour lunch.  The constant holidays messes up families with big childcare issues.  It's a job that can be done by unqualified people via home schooling and results of kids largely depends on their family circumstances and postcode so is overrated in skill.

I'm not sure any of the un-sourced points are true in this.

Yeah not much to say the axioms are all wrong so therefore the output is all wrong, shite in shite out as they say in computing.

A pal of mine has went back to University to get his chemistry degree and become a high school chemistry teacher. I''ve told him I hope to feck he knows what he's going to be walking into in a couple of years when he does his first placement but he's quite optimistic. He's quite a blunt laconic sort of guy so I think he should do OK.

I have a cousin who is a primary school teacher in Sussex and they start every day by shaking the teachers hand as they come into class one by one and saying "Good Morning Miss" :)

When I was at school we actually started classes at 08:45 and finished at 3:30, except on Wednesdays and Fridays when we finished at 2:45. We didn't get a full hour for lunch, just 45 minutes. Did anyone else's school do that ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

A pal of mine has went back to University to get his chemistry degree and become a high school chemistry teacher. I''ve told him I hope to feck he knows what he's going to be walking into in a couple of years when he does his first placement but he's quite optimistic. He's quite a blunt laconic sort of guy so I think he should do OK.

I have a cousin who is a primary school teacher in Sussex and they start every day by shaking the teachers hand as they come into class one by one and saying "Good Morning Miss" :)

When I was at school we actually started classes at 08:45 and finished at 3:30, except on Wednesdays and Fridays when we finished at 2:45. We didn't get a full hour for lunch, just 45 minutes. Did anyone else's school do that ?

We were 8:40 to 3:45 ever day bar wednesday. got 50 mins lunch. wednesday was 6 periods instead of 10. Peroid was 35 mins.

Edited by phart

Don't worry picking up a typo in debate with me is a common occurrence. If you hadn't pointed it out I would have been very disappointed.

EDIT: Also ofc nothing personal we have no idea who each other is, just debating ideas/politics. :)

Edited by phart

On 6/16/2019 at 11:06 PM, Rohan said:

Quite a few things.

1. Don't care much /at all for womens fitba.

2. Other than about 5 songs Oasis were pish.

3. Quite like listening to Trump and Farage (british politics need a good hard look in the mirror) 

4. There is only 2 genders

5. Voted for independence and voted for brexit. 

6. Don't care much for the snp

Number 2 is absolute nonsense, but out of interest, what were the 5 songs?

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Number 2 is absolute nonsense, but out of interest, what were the 5 songs?

Honestly think there were only three - Slide Away, Live Forever and Half the World Away. Never understood the massive following, most of their stuff I found average at best. Not a patch on the Stone Roses.  

33 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Honestly think there were only three - Slide Away, Live Forever and Half the World Away. Never understood the massive following, most of their stuff I found average at best. Not a patch on the Stone Roses.  

I respect your opinion, it’s wrong, but I respect it 😂

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Not at all, Noel was a fantastic songwriter. You just don’t know what you’re talking about. 

No mate, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, and Shane Macgowan are fantastic songwriters. Noel was decent but thats it

Saw Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds support U2 three times a couple of years ago.

They've got some really strong tunes in their own right. I was very impressed.

Loving their new song (Black Star Dancing). Heard it a few times and really liked it, but only found out who it was about a week later.

You'd never believe it was Noel Gallagher.

This romantic veneration of the House of Stuart annoys me. 

The Highland Clearances would likely still have taken place under the Stuarts.

Although many of their followers were anti-Union, Charles Edward Stuart and his father never had any intention of dissolving the union of 1707.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

Saw Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds support U2 three times a couple of years ago.

You've been to three U2 gigs? Yellow card right there :P