Unpopular Opinions - Page 19 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Unpopular Opinions

Quite a few things.

1. Don't care much /at all for womens fitba.

2. Other than about 5 songs Oasis were pish.

3. Quite like listening to Trump and Farage (british politics need a good hard look in the mirror) 

4. There is only 2 genders

5. Voted for independence and voted for brexit. 

6. Don't care much for the snp

14 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Granted it’s only a short clip but I don’t get the impression the teacher is interested in opening minds. 

Perhaps not, none of us know as we were not there and have no idea on his teaching ability.

I just find it strange that a pupil has been chucked out of class for merely stating his opinion. Sounds more to it than that. 

I will try to  keep an open mind however 🙂

12 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I'm not sure that teaching ever has been about "opening minds".

You dont think teaching is about opening minds? 

Dont you think poetry, the arts etc is about opening minds and  allowing pupils to interpret things differently ? 

The sciences about stretching the mind to drive changes in medicine, technology etc? 

12 hours ago, Rohan said:

4. There is only 2 genders

reply not really in response to the video as I havent watched it.

But even if we are talking absolutes, there arent just 2 genders.

roughly 1 in every 2000 born in the UK are Intersex - ie share some sort of variation of typical gender physical traits.

Even scientifically there are rarely absolutes, there are always exceptions 

So thats not someone identifying as something, thats physically / chemically being a mix of both to some degree.

Edited by The Golden Vision

22 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You dont think teaching is about opening minds? 

Dont you think poetry, the arts etc is about opening minds and  allowing pupils to interpret things differently ? 

The sciences about stretching the mind to drive changes in medicine, technology etc? 

I suppose I should be a bit more specific about what I mean by "teaching". I was referring to our education system. I think our primary and secondary education system is more about training people to fit into our society and, maybe more importantly, measuring people to help decide where in our society they should fit. The only person who can "open your mind" is yourself. It is possibly to teach in a way that helps people to do that but I don't think that's how our education system works. Most of the teachers, that I know, are some of the most "closed minded" people I have met.  

24 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I suppose I should be a bit more specific about what I mean by "teaching". I was referring to our education system. I think our primary and secondary education system is more about training people to fit into our society and, maybe more importantly, measuring people to help decide where in our society they should fit. The only person who can "open your mind" is yourself. It is possibly to teach in a way that helps people to do that but I don't think that's how our education system works. Most of the teachers, that I know, are some of the most "closed minded" people I have met.  

Because teachers aren't incentivised to do anything other than teach the curriculum. A nice day one day, so you decide to take the class a walk along the canal banks see what you can see and discuss.

Guaranteed if you're at a school with any sort of teacher/parent discourse someone's parent will complain that you weren't teaching to the exam.  Demand to know why etc.

Teachers as a profession are fucking fed up in this country.

I'd have have wrote Gamette,sex,gender on the board and got the pupil to explain his "science" to me. You can have 1 gamette 2 sexes and no gender. Native Americans had a third gender in their society.

But the details are unimportant the culture war, to divide is what is important in this particular argument.

17 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I pretty much agree with what you say, though in fairness to the education system they need to have some sort of structure in place or there would be chaos .   

Teaching is much like any other job, there are those who are good at what they do and there are those who are there simply because it is a job and do the least they can get away with.

I do however think good teachers can open minds, some people need a little help  to give them the confidence to open their mind. 

I also think teaching is a profession where you can be ground down over the years , your enthusiasm for the job wanes and a closed mind perhaps sets in . This is a bit of a sweeping generalisation I know, there will be many excellent experienced teachers out there. 

I am probably a bit sensitive on the subject as my daughter is an English teacher. I know how hard she works and what they have to put up with. 

Sorry, I have taken this conversation all a bit off course. 

34 minutes ago, phart said:

Teachers as a profession are fucking fed up in this country.

I don't think it is just teachers. In my experience, I just hear about them more because they do like to have a moan. I think it might be part of their training?;)

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think it is just teachers. In my experience, I just hear about them more because they do like to have a moan. I think it might be part of their training?;)

Aye but most jobs don't have to deal with parents as parents.

3 hours ago, The Golden Vision said:

reply not really in response to the video as I havent watched it.

But even if we are talking absolutes, there arent just 2 genders.

roughly 1 in every 2000 born in the UK are Intersex - ie share some sort of variation of typical gender physical traits.

Even scientifically there are rarely absolutes, there are always exceptions 

So thats not someone identifying as something, thats physically / chemically being a mix of both to some degree.

I've watched the video and didn't really have much of an opinion on it, I've seen loads of other videos regarding the 2 gender debate and yes I take your point in intersex but this crap this gets spouted of having 71 genders is absolute rubbish

1 hour ago, Rohan said:

I've watched the video and didn't really have much of an opinion on it, I've seen loads of other videos regarding the 2 gender debate and yes I take your point in intersex but this crap this gets spouted of having 71 genders is absolute rubbish

There is at least 71 different genders on this board.

37 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

There is at least 71 different genders on this board.

You could probably define a sliding scale of gender and folk could slot themselves into different ranges? 

It might be a bit like how we perceive light. We often think of red and blue as very different colours but they are just very tiny ranges of wavelength in the EM spectrum. They are actually very close together but we see them differently. As we learn more about stuff we can separate things into different categories using new definitions. Today there is no black or white, today there is no wrong or right, only shades of grey.

There's not 71 genders. You can't be a gender of 1.

Obviously there is no universally agreed upon definition of Gender which is part of the problem, but for me you can't just invent them and their pronouns as you wish.

At some point reality has to take precedence. For example a prisoner convicted of murder isn't allowed to just identify as innocent person and walk free.

Sort of reminds me of the thing about how folk would take Acid and think they can fly so jump off buildings, but if you could really fly you'd just take -off from wherever you are like every other thing that can fly naturally.

36 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You could probably define a sliding scale of gender and folk could slot themselves into different ranges? 

It might be a bit like how we perceive light. We often think of red and blue as very different colours but they are just very tiny ranges of wavelength in the EM spectrum. They are actually very close together but we see them differently. As we learn more about stuff we can separate things into different categories using new definitions. Today there is no black or white, today there is no wrong or right, only shades of grey.

In any given day I alone can experience at least 5 different genders,  anything ranging from crazy female bitch to wee butch ladette. But yes that would be an interesting  challenge. And of course,  most importantly , very inclusive ...🙂

29 minutes ago, phart said:

There's not 71 genders. You can't be a gender of 1.

Obviously there is no universally agreed upon definition of Gender which is part of the problem, but for me you can't just invent them and their pronouns as you wish.

At some point reality has to take precedence. For example a prisoner convicted of murder isn't allowed to just identify as innocent person and walk free.

Sort of reminds me of the thing about how folk would take Acid and think they can fly so jump off buildings, but if you could really fly you'd just take -off from wherever you are like every other thing that can fly naturally.

🤫 I think we can eliminate you from the ‘flying gender’ on the sliding scale in that case. 

Might manage to squeeze Ramy or Rolling Hills into that category. 

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

In any given day I alone can experience at least 5 different genders,  anything ranging from crazy female bitch to wee butch ladette. But yes that would be an interesting  challenge. And of course,  most importantly , very inclusive ...🙂

When you say "experience" ........................?

Interesting challenge indeed.;)

17 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Are they not just different personality traits of the same gender?

12 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Are they not just different personality traits of the same gender?

🙂 well yes, I was being tongue in cheek as  I think 71 genders is a stretch of the imagination. For the avoidance of doubt I don't actually think there is a flying gender either. 

I do believe however there is more than the traditional 2 gender theory. I have fook all to back it up , but , for example, I dont think simply because you are born with female sexual organs you are simply a female.

I am ( allegedly) a woman, I wear make up and like to look nice,  but I am much more ‘male’ than most of my friends. None of them would dream of coming on this website they think I am mad. Truth is I would rather be on here than on something like mumsnet. I don't feel comfortable in large groups of women even though I am a confident person. I don't look like a man , least I don't think so, but even as a teenager I preferred boys company. And I don’t mean  in a sexual way , I had loads of boys who were friends and I hung about in groups of boys. 

This may be classed as personality trait, but I think it is more gender driven. I touch more testosterone and Tracey could be Tommy. 

I realise this is all very basic,  but I don't think it is a simple as male or female.  

There are two genders.

True, you will get rare genetic mutations (correct use of the word) but that doesn't change the answer IMO. 

People can identify as whatever they want, I don't care one little bit. thats entirely up to them. But in plain terms, if you have a knob and can't piss for an easy example, you will see someone trained in male specific medicine, and the opposite for female issues. We can be inclusive to people, without needing to create new genders, it just seems a load of new shite to me.

3 hours ago, kumnio said:

There are two genders.

True, you will get rare genetic mutations (correct use of the word) but that doesn't change the answer IMO. 

People can identify as whatever they want, I don't care one little bit. thats entirely up to them. But in plain terms, if you have a knob and can't piss for an easy example, you will see someone trained in male specific medicine, and the opposite for female issues. We can be inclusive to people, without needing to create new genders, it just seems a load of new shite to me.

The Emperors wearing no clothes ?

3 hours ago, kumnio said:

There are two genders.

Are you talking about Gamete, sex or gender when you say there is two genders? Cause the above is pseudo-science if we're talking strict biology. Mutations affect the Gamete or the sex, it has nothing to do with gender. All these word are going to be weapons if the Yank Culture hits us as well and it's a total shit show.

As Paris says the folk pushing the 70 odd Genders are terrible authoritarians who will label you all sort of terrible things even if you make an honest mistake. I've already read up like fuck to make sure when you go at these authoritarians no silly mistakes will derail me.

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s the authoritarian side that is the concern. Someone can identify as whatever they want, and people can play along with it as well but it shouldn’t mean that the rest of us have to. 

There is a hige authoritarian side to this, hysteria sweeping America, and we'll no doubt feel the waves.