Unpopular Opinions - Page 18 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Unpopular Opinions

9 hours ago, aaid said:

People who get banned from Internet forums and then create new accounts and continue the behaviour that got them banned are sad individuals who are more to be pitied than scorned. 

Maybe not such an unpopular opinion?

14 hours ago, Pocketrocketman1888 said:

Hardly banning behaviour to have a differing opinion on womans football / it appears that the rest of the country has been brainwashed into thinking its the dogs baws but that 2nd jamaican goal would have embarassed a primary school team

Who was banned for having a different opinion on woman’s footballs?

id be willing to bet that not why they have been banned.

56 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Kicked out of class for saying there are only 2 genders apparently 

He should keep his culture wars out of the class room.

Teacher under paid with fuck all resources getting shit from parents etc when not following the curriculum has to deal with the classroom "scientist" (who probably can't solve a quadratic equation) spouts the talking points of one side of American culture war.

The pupils twitter is almost exclusively shit about in America and race war, culture war stuff.

Edited by phart

3 minutes ago, phart said:

Maybe the teacher should first.  He was disagreeing after the teacher said there were more than two. Why are you chastising the pupil, a child, to keep his culture wars out the classroom and not the paid professional?

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Maybe the teacher should first.  He was disagreeing after the teacher said there were more than two. Why are you chastising the pupil, a child, to keep his culture wars out the classroom and not the paid professional?

Where is the video of what was said in the class. I'm commenting on what i saw.

7 minutes ago, phart said:

Teacher under paid with fuck all resources getting shit from parents etc when not following the curriculum has to deal with the classroom "scientist" (who probably can't solve a quadratic equation) spouts the talking points of one side of American culture war.

Isn’t it more than an American culture war when it’s making its way into school curriculum in different parts of the world?

Without knowing more context to the incident, I’m not sure kicking the kid out of the class for wrongthink is the best way to deal with the situation. Although I do have sympathy with the teacher. 

3 minutes ago, phart said:

Well let's see the Curriculum then. Instead of half a story videos, let's see what is taught or is it just a rush to outrage about poor children etc maudlin levels set to overload.

The teacher said it himself, unless he is mistaken or has a personal interest in this. 

But I’ll have a look online shortly.

So they got into a rammy about whether there are more than 2 genders, which there are depending on who's definition you pick. 

A teenager taking an absolutist position in a class-room about concepts he poorly understands happens everyday in Teaching (I know i saw).

Not sure why this is a big deal.

2 minutes ago, phart said:

So they got into a rammy about whether there are more than 2 genders, which there are depending on who's definition you pick. 

A teenager taking an absolutist position in a class-room about concepts he poorly understands happens everyday in Teaching (I know i saw).

Not sure why this is a big deal.

Probably because 20 years ago you wouldn’t have got kicked out of class for saying there was only 2 genders. 

Mind you my history teacher kicked me out the class for asking the date so maybe it’s not a big deal ha. 

9 minutes ago, phart said:

OK transcript from 20 seconds on

Ok at 24 he says there are more than one gender. What's wrong with that?

I think he means say two not one in the heat of the argument. Saying one does not actually make a lot of sense as who would disagree. He later says just a few seconds after 37s in your your opinion there is only two and that is not very inclusive... it is obvious from the whole argument that he means more than two and the boy is saying only two. 

13 hours ago, phart said:

Well let's see the Curriculum then. Instead of half a story videos, let's see what is taught or is it just a rush to outrage about poor children etc maudlin levels set to overload.

There’s this 

https://www.gov.scot/news/lgbti-education/

From reading this I can see why the teacher acted like he did. 

19 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Probably because 20 years ago you wouldn’t have got kicked out of class for saying there was only 2 genders. 

Mind you my history teacher kicked me out the class for asking the date so maybe it’s not a big deal ha. 

40 years ago you got thrashed with the belt and told to shut the fuck up for disagreeing with the teacher.  Pupils have never had it so good at schools these days from an open and inclusive perspective. 

I havent seen the video in the classroom so cannot comment on this incident specifically but I imagine the teacher is trying to open the minds of the pupils from the traditional 2 genders and  and this guy is constantly dragging it back to his set way of thinking. If he was holding the lesson back then IMO he should be kicked out, as Phart says there are limited resources and modules have to be covered  in a set period of time.  

But without seeing what actually happened in the class I don't really think anyone can make an informed opinion.  

I got the belt a few times including once at primary school. Kids today have no idea as I had no idea...

I don't think anyone objects to or even gives a fuck about anyone promoting tolerance and 'inclusivity'. Nearly every one would agree with that. But teaching that there are more than two genders... is that not factually incorrect, total bullshit.

So why should people put up with this nonsense? It is great we are all tolerant but does that mean we have to start accepting intellectual gobbledygook? Not just accepting it but having it rammed down your throat at the threat of 'exclusion'... how ironic.

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

40 years ago you got thrashed with the belt and told to shut the fuck up for disagreeing with the teacher.  Pupils have never had it so good at schools these days from an open and inclusive perspective. 

I havent seen the video in the classroom so cannot comment on this incident specifically but I imagine the teacher is trying to open the minds of the pupils from the traditional 2 genders and  and this guy is constantly dragging it back to his set way of thinking. If he was holding the lesson back then IMO he should be kicked out, as Phart says there are limited resources and modules have to be covered  in a set period of time.  

But without seeing what actually happened in the class I don't really think anyone can make an informed opinion.  

Granted it’s only a short clip but I don’t get the impression the teacher is interested in opening minds. 

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

I got the belt a few times including once at primary school. Kids today have no idea as I had no idea...

I don't think anyone objects to or even gives a fuck about anyone promoting tolerance and 'inclusivity'. Nearly every one would agree with that. But teaching that there are more than two genders... is that not factually incorrect, total bullshit.

So why should people put up with this nonsense? It is great we are all tolerant but does that mean we have to start accepting intellectual gobbledygook? Not just accepting it but having it rammed down your throat at the threat of 'exclusion'... how ironic.

It's all about definitions. Definitions change over time. There are lots of reasons why definitions change. In science it's often because we have more data and information based on research. But it can also be just because attitudes of society change. Lots of scientific discussion gets bogged down arguing about definitions.