Unpopular Opinions - Page 14 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Unpopular Opinions

25 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Bit surprised at the complete acceptance of tabloid headlines as truth. Caroline Farrow, a god bothering right wing catholic fuckwit shit stirrer.

That was a genuine lol moment. 

Bit of a tangent but can I ask why you hate people who believe in God so much?

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

That was a genuine lol moment. 

Bit of a tangent but can I ask why you hate people who believe in God so much?

I don't think I really hate anyone. i just get a bit miffed with people passing off made up shite as some sort of truth and telling me I'm going to the burny fire if I don't follow their mental rituals.

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’d dare say the media reaction to 600 christians protesting the school would have been treated differently 

I would imagine there are lots of Christians hoping the Mussies get a result, also looking at each other wishing they had stuck to their traditional values of hating more stuff.

Just now, Eisegerwind said:

I would imagine there are lots of Christians hoping the Mussies get a result, also looking at each other wishing they had stuck to their traditional values of hating more stuff.

I’m no fan of organised religion but I have some sympathy with the parents here.

58 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

[Labour MP] Shabana Mahmood said: “None of my constituents is seeking particular or differential opt-outs at secondary school level. It is all about the age appropriateness of conversations with young children in the context of religious backgrounds.

So it's just a periodic sex education stushie. 

I mean, I don't see any particular problem for lefties, muslims or LGBTQ people in general, being any more controversial than conservatives having to choose between the Christian versus libertarian views on 'traditional sex education. 

2 minutes ago, exile said:

[Labour MP] Shabana Mahmood said: “None of my constituents is seeking particular or differential opt-outs at secondary school level. It is all about the age appropriateness of conversations with young children in the context of religious backgrounds.

So it's just a periodic sex education stushie. 

I mean, I don't see any particular problem for lefties, muslims or LGBTQ people in general, being any more controversial than conservatives having to choose between the Christian versus libertarian views on 'traditional sex education. 

It’s more than that I suspect, as the coming years will prove.

I'm fairly sure that back in the day sex education did not require a curriculum never mind classes ...........

WTF is going on with the world ?

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I'm fairly sure that back in the day sex education did not require a curriculum never mind classes ...........

Not sure about WTF is going on with the world, but pretty sure whats going on here is some old fucks whining on about how things ain't what they used to be in a world that isn't theirs anymore and now belongs to a different generation.

2 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Not sure about WTF is going on with the world, but pretty sure whats going on here is some old fucks whining on about how things ain't what they used to be in a world that isn't theirs anymore and now belongs to a different generation.

Cheers !

40 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Or people who don’t think primary school kids should be indoctrinated by activists. 

Dont need to be an old fuck to reject social engineering when you see it. 

58 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The bottom line is that only until fairly recently sex education, particularly in Scotland, has been extremely conservative.

If generations beforehand have done alright by this approach what has changed to make today's generation so different especially when there are resources today that were never available in the past ?

In the days of finding jazz mags in hedges or down the back seat of the bus was there uncontrolable teenage pregnancies or angst about gender ?

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The bottom line is that only until fairly recently sex education, particularly in Scotland, has been extremely conservative.

If generations beforehand have done alright by this approach what has changed to make today's generation so different especially when there are resources today that were never available in the past ?

In the days of finding jazz mags in hedges or down the back seat of the bus was there uncontrolable teenage pregnancies or angst about gender ?

Bravo’s sex on Sundays never did me any harm ...

My ten pennorth on this...

I've taught what is sometimes called pre-sex education to Year 5 (9-10 year-olds) in a class that was 60-70% Muslim. Although you don't go into sex education specifically, the teaching is all about your body, how it changes, the science of baby creation (humans & other animals) & so on. I didn't get a single complaint from any parent nor any wanting out for their kids. In fact, I even got one coming to share with me that their child had gone home saying "Mr H has been showing us dirty pictures."

There was a strong expectation that the teaching was about relationships & managing your own body throughout your life. It included a lesson where children were allowed to share all the 'rude' words they knew for bits of the body & identify whether they were scientific, stupid, crude, etc. One of the questions they were asked was 'would that be a good word to use if you had to talk to a doctor about your...?'

What was of note though was that Muslim children, boys as well as girls, were very...& I mean painfully...shy at observing what were, in fact, very stylised (not photos) of naked humans & when they had to draw (boys & girls were separated) a series of sketches to illustrate puberty, the girls would not let any males, me included, near what they had drawn & asked me to destroy it afterwards.

So, based on very limited observation, I think there's definitely an element to which some behaviours in some (possibly most) Muslim communities create a level of repressed feelings about aspects of 'mainstream' sexuality which is, without doubt, magnified when you get into issues such as LGBT, but I think it's very simplistic to say that there's a unified position across communities nor that whatever angst might exist can't be challenged over time.

11 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

We all turn into our Dads.

On 3/22/2019 at 7:50 AM, Huddersfield said:

My ten pennorth on this...

I've taught what is sometimes called pre-sex education to Year 5 (9-10 year-olds) in a class that was 60-70% Muslim. Although you don't go into sex education specifically, the teaching is all about your body, how it changes, the science of baby creation (humans & other animals) & so on. I didn't get a single complaint from any parent nor any wanting out for their kids. In fact, I even got one coming to share with me that their child had gone home saying "Mr H has been showing us dirty pictures."

There was a strong expectation that the teaching was about relationships & managing your own body throughout your life. It included a lesson where children were allowed to share all the 'rude' words they knew for bits of the body & identify whether they were scientific, stupid, crude, etc. One of the questions they were asked was 'would that be a good word to use if you had to talk to a doctor about your...?'

What was of note though was that Muslim children, boys as well as girls, were very...& I mean painfully...shy at observing what were, in fact, very stylised (not photos) of naked humans & when they had to draw (boys & girls were separated) a series of sketches to illustrate puberty, the girls would not let any males, me included, near what they had drawn & asked me to destroy it afterwards.

So, based on very limited observation, I think there's definitely an element to which some behaviours in some (possibly most) Muslim communities create a level of repressed feelings about aspects of 'mainstream' sexuality which is, without doubt, magnified when you get into issues such as LGBT, but I think it's very simplistic to say that there's a unified position across communities nor that whatever angst might exist can't be challenged over time.

it's the same as any minority community; they integrate to some extent then start to ham up the differences (especially social) that they see with the mainstream.  Unpopular opinion probably but there's no way many Irish catholics of generations gone by go to Church because they believe.  It's because it's a mark of our culture.  

Some Muslims are the same.  Liberal attitudes to sex is something not to be submerged with.