Unpopular Opinions - Page 12 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Unpopular Opinions

11 minutes ago, phart said:

Cultural Marxism was a phrase repeated over 100 times in that manifesto of his.

It's a bogey man phrase which has been used by loads of mentals like Brevik and Pat Buchanan but you can't find a real definition, apart from some nefarious communist scheme to infect academia or something.

So what?

Cultural Marxism is a subject far bigger than Anders Brevik.

He is a bogey man that you raised.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Ok but I am struggling to see why you name checked me in this post G-man. fuxsake.

Because I tried the *Candyman approach and looked in the mirror and called your name 5 times and you didn’t appear so I called you this way and heh ho, here you are. 😁😁😘  

I’ve not seen Candyman for years so may have muddled it up with other scary as feck films.

On 3/6/2019 at 6:36 PM, G-Man said:

I wouldn’t mind mixed toilets as long as it was all cubicles.

I didn’t know there were cases of children being given hormone blockers although I’m not surprised. In a world where people aren’t telling their new child’s sex so they aren’t ‘categorised’ my suspicion is more with the parents mental health than the child’s. Radio Scotland has a news report on a nursery in Edinburgh (of course it was) that no longer had gender defined toys or colours and then spoke to the parents who were all giving it “oh yes it’s fantastic. Horatio happily  plays with  a pram.” Then they spoke to wee Horatio and asked what his favourite toy was “I love the robot transformer, it turns into a car that shoots things.” Dad interrupts to say “But you like the tea set and Mimie doll?” I swear I could feel the puzzled slightly disgusted look Horatio gave the big drip as he replied “yeah okay but the čar shoots things.” 

My friend was born male but after years of misery, suicide attempts, psychiatric help and physical and mental abuse she was helped by the NHS to sort out a mistake that happened in her mother’s womb. She is now a gorgeous happy and settled wife and mum to her (adopted) son and she and her husband are foster carers. If she was a teenager today she wouldn’t have had to go through the nightmare she did have to endure but we’ve also discussed what would have happened to me. I hated being a girl, didn’t have girl pals, fought like a mad Taz devil and practísed blowing snot out my nose so I could do it when in goals for my school football team. And I won’t get into the batterings  I received for constantly trying to pee standing up and succeeding only in making our toilet reek of pee. We think our friendship was cemented by our masculine and feminine characteristics and oddities but unlike her I never ever considered physically changing my sex I just didn’t want to be a girl. I was just a tomboy and I’d hate it if wee girls couldn’t just be tomboys without people jumping on it as sexual identity problems.  But I’d detest it even more if we lived in a world where people don’t understand that things go wrong in the womb and they need to be sorted, understood and treated with the same understanding and sympathy that we give to all other ‘birth defects” (I use that term cautiously as I don’t like it but can’t think of another term. I’m sure you will thplinth and come along to tell me in your usual soft and tender manner) 

Stop it or I’ll challenge you to a peeing and snot blowing competition. Then the winner batters the loser and I’d hate to see you cry like a big lassie as I stand over your prostrate body with my foot resting on your hip and my arms held aloft while I make pretend crowd cheering noises.  

And I won’t be wearing lipstick!  😘😘

Good post Gman. 

11 hours ago, phart said:

Aye cause he's associated to the term.

https://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/276018/just-because-anti-semites-talk-about-cultural-marxism-doesnt-mean-it-isnt-real

It is an interesting read. He is defending against the smear of antisemitism but the arguments are the same.

"...savaging an idea on account of ignorant or deplorable motivations on the part of its most backward proponents can only be a mean-spirited debater’s trick or a textbook logical fallacy.

Had Moyn written an article (of the sort that Russell Blackford, whom I quoted from above, actually did write) that endeavored to separate the wheat from the chaff and denounced those fringe elements that perpetuated a conspiratorial or an anti-Semitic version of cultural Marxism, I would have had no cause for complaint. But to take a concept in use in academia, and that is now also regularly invoked by intellectuals and pundits on the totally mainstream right (though, of course, usually with a derisive connotation), and claim that the recognizable intellectual paradigm to which these thinkers are referring simply does not exist as anything other than “crude slander” is a kind of deceptive move that indicates a fealty to politics over truth."

Bit surprised at you man, straight to Anders Brevik....

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

https://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/276018/just-because-anti-semites-talk-about-cultural-marxism-doesnt-mean-it-isnt-real

It is an interesting read. He is defending against the smear of antisemitism but the arguments are the same.

"...savaging an idea on account of ignorant or deplorable motivations on the part of its most backward proponents can only be a mean-spirited debater’s trick or a textbook logical fallacy.

Had Moyn written an article (of the sort that Russell Blackford, whom I quoted from above, actually did write) that endeavored to separate the wheat from the chaff and denounced those fringe elements that perpetuated a conspiratorial or an anti-Semitic version of cultural Marxism, I would have had no cause for complaint. But to take a concept in use in academia, and that is now also regularly invoked by intellectuals and pundits on the totally mainstream right (though, of course, usually with a derisive connotation), and claim that the recognizable intellectual paradigm to which these thinkers are referring simply does not exist as anything other than “crude slander” is a kind of deceptive move that indicates a fealty to politics over truth."

Bit surprised at you man, straight to Anders Brevik....

I'm not savaging anything. I'm playing a word association game for what it actually is. As no definition and examples readily appear as they would for most defined theories.

Still we got a definition from the above

" In brief, it is a belief that cultural productions (books, institutions, etc.) and ideas are emanations of underlying power structures, so we must scrutinize and judge all culture and ideas based on their relation to power. Following from this premise, advocates for the persecuted and oppressed must attack forms of culture that reinscribe the values of the ruling class, and disseminate culture and ideas that support “oppressed” groups and “progressive” causes."

"

In the second of a series inspired by Paul Berman’s opus on ‘The State of the Left,’ a conservative writer argues that while the term ‘cultural Marxism’ has been appropriated by some bigots and conspiracists, the existence of the ideology is a matter of historical record

He's not argued it very well. If they had been a philosopher or a historian rather than someone who calls academia acadumbia.

I'll have to go back as he referenced folk I have never heard of and some folk i only know  a little of.

I don't think it exists because this person or that person says so. I think it exists because of what I see happening. I of course do not expect other people to believe it is going on just because I do. Nor am I seeking to convince anyone.

I will say I very much doubt the people pushing it all are actually marxists with a supposedly 'noble' end product in mind (which only killed 100m people). 

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

I don't think it exists because this person or that person says so. I think it exists because of what I see happening. I of course do not expect other people to believe it is going on just because I do. Nor am I seeking to convince anyone.

I will say I very much doubt the people pushing it all are actually marxists with a supposedly 'noble' end product in mind (which only killed 100m people). 

It doesn't help it is seemingly built from the skeletons of nazi political theory that there is a leftist (marxism is jewish apparently to nazi's)jewish plot in the same vein. It was called Kulturbolschewismus  Which is cultural bolshevism.

It's even got the same area of academia, the humanities and arts as the spreading point.

As such i'll need more information.

Edited by phart

13 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Nicola Sturgeon is slave to all this shit. She is going to blow any chance of independence before folk see it. 

It's all based on opinions not science body dysmorphia is real. A lot of this other stuff is completely random.

Also that Census is going to get trolled to fuck. look how many folk put jedi down for a laugh. That was in 2001 and didn't have any of the same weight, just word of mouth and a few message groups, still almost 400,000 people put it down in England and Wales alone.

" In April 2009, it became known that eight police officers serving with Scotland's largest police force, Strathclyde, listed their official religion as Jedi in voluntary diversity forms. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon

Edited by phart

Ok so back to unpopular opinions.

What i find so odd about BREXIT is that all (or seemingly all) the SNP folk hate it. Yet I would argue that BREXIT was really England voting YES to independence. (They don't give a shit about what we want and are surprised we see things differently so we get dragged along as usual but yeah that is what BREXIT was to them, it was idyref1 and unlike us did not flinch.) Bizarrely the SNP have totally missed the neo-nationalism boat. NS & the SNP are much more Macron, Merkle.  While the real nationalism in Europe is focused on strengthening...well, the existence of nation states and not eradicating them in all but name. Nigel Farage (reviled on here by all) is 100 x the 'nationalist' than NS and the SNP.

14 hours ago, thplinth said:

Ok so back to unpopular opinions.

What i find so odd about BREXIT is that all (or seemingly all) the SNP folk hate it. Yet I would argue that BREXIT was really England voting YES to independence. (They don't give a shit about what we want and are surprised we see things differently so we get dragged along as usual but yeah that is what BREXIT was to them, it was idyref1 and unlike us did not flinch.) Bizarrely the SNP have totally missed the neo-nationalism boat. NS & the SNP are much more Macron, Merkle.  While the real nationalism in Europe is focused on strengthening...well, the existence of nation states and not eradicating them in all but name. Nigel Farage (reviled on here by all) is 100 x the 'nationalist' than NS and the SNP.

Not sure it that's an unpopular opinion, a lot of it is simply fact. There are clearly parallels between Brexit and Scottish independence. But there are also differences between continental nationalism and SNP view or Greens for that matter. NS has said she's not a nationalist of the Farage type and Patrick Harvie has said he's not a nationalist, period. So those are simple facts I think.

So for me the question becomes why/not. Probably many answers but one would be that larger nations on the continent that already exist as nation states clearly have the advantage of existing already and can/could exist more readily without the EU, whereas Scotland has to make the case to convince people it can be independent of rUK. Ireland is also a smaller nation but is happy to be part of the bigger club (but not the British one). Norway are happy to be independent of EU but also happy to be part of its ways.  I'd say it's not surprising that Scotland 'nationalism' is more like Ireland or Norway than France or Serbia. 

Finally a lot of it is surely simply politics and tactics. They bank on there being more votes in the pro EU stance.

Edited by exile

Animals should be given more human rights.

Robots/artificial intelligences should be given some human rights.  

All humans should have the same human rights.

Edited by exile

On 3/9/2019 at 10:43 AM, thplinth said:

Type the following into Google search then click 'images':

Asian woman and baby
Black woman and baby
White woman and baby

WTF?

Did anyone try this? 

Open up a google search tab for each one line above, then tap google images ... Then what do you see?

Edited by thplinth
too argumentative - peace!

14 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Did anyone try this? 

Open up a google search tab for each one line above, then tap google images ... Then what do you see?

You could just tell us...?

...what is the unpopular opinion? 

Edited by exile

21 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Did anyone try this? 

I did, dont really know what to say about it to be honest.

8 hours ago, thplinth said:

Did anyone try this? 

I’m not surprised. 

Not sure what to say about it either. 

Maybe there’s is an agenda going on and by the time we know about it it will be too late.