Unpopular Opinions - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Unpopular Opinions

16 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Still Game is shit. 

From series 5 onwards I agree

Series 3 was Still Games peak, series 4 had its moments such as Big Innes’ toley and Mrs Begg but then it was mind numbingly guff from then on in, it’s even worse now. The last series saw them trotting out 20 year old material from a live show.... South Africa

Edited by DoonTheSlope

2 hours ago, aaid said:

I was just looking at Twitter and I saw a tweet on my timeline from an account called @shamimauk.   It's an obvious parody account and from its content it's been set up to show her in a bad light.   Nothing particularly unusual about that, it happens all the time on Twitter.

However, what is unusual it that it was a promoted tweet, ie. someone had paid Twitter to put it on my - and presumably others - timelines.  Makes me wonder who's behind this and why they're prepared to spend money on it.   I'd also wonder whether its in Twitter's terms to promote tweets for parody accounts.

I just went to try and report it - and got an unknown error - and the account is no longer visible, which makes me think Twitter's deleted it - presumably due to other complaints.

Hiya Lee

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Funnily enough I rewatched compilations of chewin the fat on YouTube recently and laughed a lot more than I expected for an old sketch show.

Chewin the Fat was class. The Scottish James Bond, The Mosspark bowling club, sock puppets, the boy watching the other ha’en a shite while eating an orange, the fishermen on the pearly necklace and the Largs B&B.

Fucking quality!

On 2/17/2019 at 1:43 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

She is British. Syria shouldn’t have to deal with her extremist views. 

according to some the home office have written to her family and it seems she is having her citizenship revoked, which should be illegal.

So we'll waste a fortune fighting it in the courts.

Also as i stated earlier this discussion was had a couple of years ago and legislated for as well under Operation Constrain. so weird to have it all play out in the open as if they hadn't already discussed it.

2 minutes ago, phart said:

according to some the home office have written to her family and it seems she is having her citizenship revoked, which should be illegal.

Also as i stated earlier this discussion was had a couple of years ago and legislated for as well under Operation Constrain. so weird to have it all play out in the open as if they hadn't already discussed it.

This government has shown on numerous occasions - particularly but not exclusively related to Brexit - that they are content to fight cases in the courts they have little chance of winning purely to play for time.   When this ultimately goes through and they lose, there will be some other cause celebre occupying the media but the Saj will have been able to look tough, which is what it's all about. 

33 minutes ago, phart said:

beat the ITV video by 10 mins yay me.

33 minutes ago, aaid said:

This government has shown on numerous occasions - particularly but not exclusively related to Brexit - that they are content to fight cases in the courts they have little chance of winning purely to play for time.   When this ultimately goes through and they lose, there will be some other cause celebre occupying the media but the Saj will have been able to look tough, which is what it's all about. 

it's clearly for political gain, considering this has all been legislated for in the past anyway. As you say it's for appearances.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

UK law is pretty flexible I understand. If parliament passes a new statute they can make it legal to revoke the citizenship of the wee ISIS loving scrote or pretty much anything they want.

This is all pantomime though thplinth. They have all the arrangements in place already under operation constrain. So they knew what they would do anyway. This is just introducing another polarising debate.

Yep - all smoke and mirrors

How many others have they allowed back in and not withdrawn citizenship ?

Not saying that i want her back however there should have been an example set at the beginning

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/jihadis-suspected-of-fighting-in-syria-could-jump-queue-for-council-houses-and-get-help-finding-jobs-a3670946.html

British jihadis suspected of fighting in Syria could be offered help with finding jobs and counselling, it has been reported.

A Government strategy named Operation Constrain could also see extremists jump the queue for council houses, according to the Mail on Sunday.

The newspaper said it has seen official documents which show up to 20,000 fanatics, previously investigated by the security services, will be targeted to persuade them to reject violence.

11 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

From series 5 onwards I agree

Series 3 was Still Games peak, series 4 had its moments such as Big Innes’ toley and Mrs Begg but then it was mind numbingly guff from then on in, it’s even worse now. The last series saw them trotting out 20 year old material from a live show.... South Africa

Mrs Begg was in series two and Big Innes was in series three btw :ok:

The first three series are superb. There is some truly wonderful writing and acting on display there.

There were even some really tender, sensitive moments such as when Victor & Jack spend hours waiting at Central Station for Vic's son and his family but who never show up and when Jack thinks he's found love again with Barbara only to find out that she's married.

Every episode of series four was rank rotten, particularly the hospital radio episode.

Series five had a couple of really good episodes particularly the ones where the lads "redecorate" Isa's flat and go boating down the Kelvin but the decline in quality and I think lack of enthusiasm on the part of Hemphill and Kiernan that they once had was there to see.

They also never followed up at all on Victor's son promising to visit him after he finally shows up or on Navid and Isa's New Year's snog. That was lazy.

The squeezing in of celebrity guests, who seldom improve the show, is annoying. The storyline where Tam and Francis have a baby was bloody dreadful and tedious - did anyone else notice how they've actually now written the baby out of the show ?

I hate that "creepy undertaker" character they introduced in the last series. The character just does not work at all.

Reading that back, there is a lot of criticism there but I really do love what Still Game once was and I hope this final series is a worthy send off.

9 hours ago, phart said:

This is all pantomime though thplinth. They have all the arrangements in place already under operation constrain. So they knew what they would do anyway. This is just introducing another polarising debate.

Oh one thing is for sure the UK will treat them like royalty whilst treating its ordinary citizens like utter shit.

When you consider the mind bending atrocities committed by ISIS I really can't understand why they are not turned over to the Syrians, Iraqis and let them do with them what they want. I personally would applaud if they all were thrown into a dungeon for the rest of their miserable cunt lives. Or give them to the parents of the 1,700 young cadets ISIS slaughtered in Iraq for example. Show these inhuman cocksuckers the same mercy they showed when they had power over innocents.

Instead they will get given priority for a council house - hell maybe get some young white girls for them to groom while the authorities look the other way again, would not want to upset them.

5 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The first three series are superb. There is some truly wonderful writing and acting on display there.

There were even some really tender, sensitive moments such as when Victor & Jack spend hours waiting at Central Station for Vic's son and his family but who never show up and when Jack thinks he's found love again with Barbara only to find out that she's married.

Every episode of series four was rank rotten, particularly the hospital radio episode.

Series five had a couple of really good episodes particularly the ones where the lads "redecorate" Isa's flat and go boating down the Kelvin but the decline in quality and I think lack of enthusiasm on the part of Hemphill and Kiernan that they once had was there to see.

They also never followed up at all on Victor's son promising to visit him after he finally shows up or on Navid and Isa's New Year's snog. That was lazy.

The squeezing in of celebrity guests, who seldom improve the show, is annoying. The storyline where Tam and Francis have a baby was bloody dreadful and tedious - did anyone else notice how they've actually now written the baby out of the show ?

I hate that "creepy undertaker" character they introduced in the last series. The character just does not work at all.

Reading that back, there is a lot of criticism there but I really do love what Still Game once was and I hope this final series is a worthy send off.

Series 4 must have been shite!

What series was Robbie Coltrane driving the sunshine bus?

On 2/20/2019 at 4:40 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

it was better before it went to a uk audience.  not wanting to get political but it became pantomime rather than things your grandad would say.

Isa jumping over the bar to save a ball was the shows equivalent of jumping the shark.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:31 AM, thplinth said:

Oh one thing is for sure the UK will treat them like royalty whilst treating its ordinary citizens like utter shit.

When you consider the mind bending atrocities committed by ISIS I really can't understand why they are not turned over to the Syrians, Iraqis and let them do with them what they want. I personally would applaud if they all were thrown into a dungeon for the rest of their miserable cunt lives. Or give them to the parents of the 1,700 young cadets ISIS slaughtered in Iraq for example. Show these inhuman cocksuckers the same mercy they showed when they had power over innocents.

Instead they will get given priority for a council house - hell maybe get some young white girls for them to groom while the authorities look the other way again, would not want to upset them.

or when the lured a busload of children off a bus to a car bomb.

4 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

it was better before it went to a uk audience.  not wanting to get political but it became pantomime rather than things your grandad would say.

Isa jumping over the bar to save a ball was the shows equivalent of jumping the shark.

I would agree with that. 

The cramming in of celebrity guests was what annoyed me. 

The first three series also have quite a noticeable gloomy, rainy, streetlights on at 3PM, "Glasgow in the winter" feel about them that adds to the atmosphere which the other series don't have.

On 2/20/2019 at 10:17 AM, DoonTheSlope said:

Series 4 must have been shite!

What series was Robbie Coltrane driving the sunshine bus?

Series 4 was the worst of them all.

The episode with Coltrane was in series 4. Awful stuff.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:13 PM, rolaaand said:

In for a penny then.

1-I support independence but the SNP leave me cold. 

2-Boris Island airport should have been given the go ahead.

3-The speed limits on motorways should be raised to 90. It’s what most of us do anyway.

4-Donald Trump is fantastic entertainment.

5-Nuclear power is a good thing and should be embraced.

6-Faith schools should be banned. Teach kids about religion by all means, don’t teach them to be religious. That’s a choice they can make as adults.

That's just off the top of my head. I’m sure if I thought about it there’s loads of unpopular crap in there.

I like this one. My retort for them in order:

1 - Agree and agree they are utter shite

2 - No opinion

3 - I think 70 is fine but certainly should be more leniently applied rather than authorities trying to flex muscles based on benchmark fads (e.g 55mph zone on M74 Glasgow)

4 - He is way ahead of everyone in terms of how he gets himself out there for publicity. He has enough of a tribal segment of supporters to do well and he caters for them in a way that pushes his agenda across globally. Business 101

5 - I think as long as it's properly regulated and controlled (e.g effective waste management)

6 - Absolutely. The fact that we still have state funded faith schools is archaic and not productive to the fully equal and inclusive society we continue to strive towards. Some of the focus from that perspective is indeed very selective.