Unpopular Opinions - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Unpopular Opinions

On 12/28/2018 at 7:41 PM, thplinth said:

When you look at the official history of Churchill versus who he was you see how history is a lie. This guy we are told is one the greatest British heroes of all time.... What does that say about the rest of what people are told.

History is a lie is also a very unpopular opinion. 

Churchill was a great leader for the very specific circumstances of the war. Basically he was a single minded bastard and that was what was needed. 

Can't remember the actual quote but history is written by the Victor and therefore cannot be relied upon. 

13 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Churchill was a great leader for the very specific circumstances of the war. Basically he was a single minded bastard and that was what was needed. 

Can't remember the actual quote but history is written by the Victor and therefore cannot be relied upon. 

Aye the Gallipoli Campaign in world war one was  a total shambles so Churchil made massive fuck ups as a leader too. Fortunately he made less than Hitler who was even more of an egomaniac so took more military decisions which turned out to be shit, instead of leaving it to his General's.

38 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Why ?

Cromwell kinda asked the same question in the 17th century and yet we still have it

It's more of the "will we" rather than "why" and since Canada and Australia seem to have no problem with a token monarchy we will too

To put it better if we were to run a referendum on Independence with abolishing the monarchy it would lose - as would any party with that in it's manifesto

People are strange

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:41 AM, hampden_loon2878 said:

We should keep the monarchy after independence 

I would say that it's not a popular opinion, however, to get independence I would be fine with it.

The end would justify the means, in this case.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:53 AM, exile said:

There's probably too much sports, including football, news and opinion on TV and radio. 

I wouldn't say that's an unpopular opinion. Probably the opposite, actually.

I probably made more of a conscious decision to sit and watch a game on the TV when it was only on once or twice a week but now there's a game on virtually every night, I rarely do. 

Also with the 24 hour news channels needing something to fill their time we are given things like interviews with witnesses of terrorist attacks or the Glasgow bus incident just minutes after them. It's all rather ghoulish.

On 1/1/2019 at 1:06 PM, Ally Bongo said:

To put it better if we were to run a referendum on Independence with abolishing the monarchy it would lose - as would any party with that in it's manifesto

I've often wondered if that was because of the Queen herself as a person seems popular. People don't feel the same way about Charles so when he takes over I think support for the monarchy will plummet. 

In for a penny then.

1-I support independence but the SNP leave me cold. 

2-Boris Island airport should have been given the go ahead.

3-The speed limits on motorways should be raised to 90. It’s what most of us do anyway.

4-Donald Trump is fantastic entertainment.

5-Nuclear power is a good thing and should be embraced.

6-Faith schools should be banned. Teach kids about religion by all means, don’t teach them to be religious. That’s a choice they can make as adults.

That's just off the top of my head. I’m sure if I thought about it there’s loads of unpopular crap in there.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:13 PM, rolaaand said:

In for a penny then.

1-I support independence but the SNP leave me cold. 

2-Boris Island airport should have been given the go ahead.

3-The speed limits on motorways should be raised to 90. It’s what most of us do anyway.

4-Donald Trump is fantastic entertainment.

5-Nuclear power is a good thing and should be embraced.

6-Faith schools should be banned. Teach kids about religion by all means, don’t teach them to be religious. That’s a choice they can make as adults.

That's just off the top of my head. I’m sure if I thought about it there’s loads of unpopular crap in there.

agree with pretty much all of that apart from the 90mph.  80 would be fair i think and what most people do.  90 is too fast.

8 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

agree with pretty much all of that apart from the 90mph.  80 would be fair i think and what most people do.  90 is too fast.

I think the reason they won't up it to 80 is that to all intents & purposes, the de facto speed limit is 80 on motorways already. Speedometers are designed to over-report speed (so if the needle is on 80, you're probably doing 75 - 78) & enforcement in a 70 zone doesn't kick in until at least 79mph (most forces use the 10% + 2mph formula)...so increasing the speed limit officially to 80 would mean they'd either have to accept cars doing 90 on a regular basis, or tighten up enforcement which I don't think anyone is mad keen on.

18 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I think the reason they won't up it to 80 is that to all intents & purposes, the de facto speed limit is 80 on motorways already. Speedometers are designed to over-report speed (so if the needle is on 80, you're probably doing 75 - 78) & enforcement in a 70 zone doesn't kick in until at least 79mph (most forces use the 10% + 2mph formula)...so increasing the speed limit officially to 80 would mean they'd either have to accept cars doing 90 on a regular basis, or tighten up enforcement which I don't think anyone is mad keen on.

yip, totally agree with that.  Another one to file under the law doesn't really make perfect sense but best to just keep as is and turn a blind eye to a certain extent.