Somerset Park - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Somerset Park

Back in the 90s when clubs were redeveloping their stadiums, many were being built by Barr’s including Easter Road and Starks Park.

Billy Barr who was heavily involved with Ayr Utd, he may even had owned the club was building stadiums for everyone else but why did he not redevelop Somerset Park?

Was it purely down to their was little profit in it for him personally?

Rebuilt Rugby Park as well which must've stuck in the craw of many an Ayr fan.

IIRC he was involved in a long running squabble with the local authorities over plans to move the stadium to an out of town development which were continually rejected. 

Edited by Toepoke

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Is the stadium Premiership compliant, or has that rule gone? Never been down that way for football unfortunately. 

Apparently / suprisingly so...
If they get promoted I quite fancy an away trip down there

Not many chances to stand on terraces in a tight old school ground left

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ayr-uniteds-somerset-park-fit-13671640

1 hour ago, Haggis_trap said:

Apparently / suprisingly so...
If they get promoted I quite fancy an away trip down there

Not many chances to stand on terraces in a tight old school ground left

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ayr-uniteds-somerset-park-fit-13671640

Cheers

I keep saying I’m gonna make a point of going down to rugby park, but there’s always something clashes, or I can’t be arsed getting up at 6am on a Sunday to travel down. 

End of the day these clubs paid Barr to build their stadiums, so hardly a case of he built them for the same of it.

Problem is Barr wanted add on’s to the new stadium so it would be self financing (talk was Barr wanted planning for a retail park on same site as stadium which club would own and make money from, which would finance the stadium) and South Ayrshire Council refused planning permission at every turn.

Last talk (about 2009ish) was a Hamilton Accies style ground on a site up towards the Prestwick side of the town, but again has gone nowhere.