Seasonal reads - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Any good stuff to read out there?

Currently lumbered with 'Normal People' by Sally Rooney, don’t have high hopes (seems to be about boring people in tedious relationships), but is it any good? 

May need to buy something more interesting before the shops shut, any suggestions? 

Currently reading His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet. Very good read. 

"The year is 1869. A brutal triple murder in a remote community in the Scottish Highlands leads to the arrest of a young man by the name of Roderick Macrae. A memoir written by the accused makes it clear that he is guilty, but it falls to the country s finest legal and psychiatric minds to uncover what drove him to commit such merciless acts of violence. Was he mad? Only the persuasive powers of his advocate stand between Macrae and the gallows.

Graeme Macrae Burnet tells an irresistible and original story about the provisional nature of truth, even when the facts seem clear. His Bloody Project is a mesmerising literary thriller set in an unforgiving landscape where the exercise of power is arbitrary."

Thanks for the suggestions so far... 

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

"The year is 1869. A brutal triple murder in a remote community in the Scottish Highlands leads to the arrest of a young man by the name of Roderick Macrae. A memoir written by the accused makes it clear that he is guilty, but it falls to the country s finest legal and psychiatric minds to uncover what drove him to commit such merciless acts of violence. Was he mad? Only the persuasive powers of his advocate stand between Macrae and the gallows.

Graeme Macrae Burnet tells an irresistible and original story about the provisional nature of truth, even when the facts seem clear. His Bloody Project is a mesmerising literary thriller set in an unforgiving landscape where the exercise of power is arbitrary."

You just reminded me, I bought this last year but never got round to reading it.... Must dig it out... 

On 12/23/2018 at 7:39 PM, exile said:

Meanwhile, started reading Normal People, awful, had to force myself to read past the first page. Not my cup of tea. 

Got to the end of it, can't see what the fuss is about.

Nothing really happens. 

Basically about two youngsters in an on-off relationship. You just wait for it to end, on on or off. 

Thanks for the link

1 hour ago, phart said:

I was hoping someone could explain it to me.

It looks a bit tricky to follow, to say the least, partly as the text is so dense, but you could try this which looks a bit easier to follow spread out over more pages.

http://www.rxiv.org/pdf/1312.0208v5.pdf

This one refers to yours but it's not just about photons and entanglement but puts it in a "higher-dimensional spacetime model" and "introduces a consciousness model" ... "integrating elements of physics, psychology, philosophy and metaphysics. Evidence from dreams is shown to correspond to both the physical model and the consciousness model." Keywords include dreams, branes and imaginary dimensions...

Maybe some resident TAMB physicists (or psychologists or philosophers) could help interpret?

On 12/23/2018 at 1:26 PM, EddardStark said:

I'm giving that a go. Is is a new release? That looks good.