Mikey Johnston. Thoughts.. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mikey Johnston. Thoughts..

Big Ramy 1314

1 hour ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Elephant in the room here, but I'm going to ask anyone.

Is this chap a real, proper Celtic man? I must have this information before I can champion him for a starting place

I hear he votes Tory and supports Rangers when they play in Europe.

4 hours ago, Chripper said:

Why?

Personally I would rather him go to Germany, Spain or Italy, but if he does move to a Scottish club then I hope it's Celtic. It's undeniable that Rodgers has improved his Scottish players.

I’d prefer him to be playing a higher quality of opposition like Andrew Robertson is.  

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I’d prefer him to be playing a higher quality of opposition like Andrew Robertson is.  

Agreed.

That's why I respect Henderson, Bates, Gauld, St Clair so much, they've bypassed the easy route of going to England and have chosen the road less travelled. I wish more Scottish players would follow suit.

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

There was a story but no reason at all to believe there is anything behind it. 

Aye my thinking is he has been capped for Scotland from a young age presumably so you would think there would be a sense of loyalty already there. Obviously it's highly unlikely he's ready or good enough for the first team squad at the moment with a lot of players in front of him however if he continues to impress over the next few months and with the Irish at a low point and a new manager I could see them chancing it and asking him for the March qualifiers which aren't far away now. 

16 minutes ago, JECK said:

Aye my thinking is he has been capped for Scotland from a young age presumably so you would think there would be a sense of loyalty already there. Obviously it's highly unlikely he's ready or good enough for the first team squad at the moment with a lot of players in front of him however if he continues to impress over the next few months and with the Irish at a low point and a new manager I could see them chancing it and asking him for the March qualifiers which aren't far away now. 

Personally I think he's good enough for the squad right now. Rodgers had GMS and obviously didn't rate him, and yet he's willing to play Johnston as a striker... okay, it might be a case of needs must, but still.

17 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Aye let's not even consider a boy who was playing out of position in Celtic's worst away performance of the season.

Agreed, we shouldn’t be considering him.  If he becomes a first team regular for Celtic he might come in to consideration.  We don’t need to pick Celtic reserves, we have enough talent elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Mikey who?  I believe he was playing today but don’t think he touched the ball!  Not good enough yet but maybe one for the future.

Didn't watch the game so will catch the highlights. However the reports I read suggested he didn't get much of the ball so couldn't really be blamed. 

11 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Didn't watch the game so will catch the highlights. However the reports I read suggested he didn't get much of the ball so couldn't really be blamed. 

I’m not blaming him, and I’m sure he may well turn out to be a good player.  The point I’m making is that he is not at a high enough level to impose himself in a top level match, and I appreciate he is out of position.  Too early for talk of Scotland.

To be fair, Johnston  did no worse than seasoned players like Forrest or Christie. None of them imposed themselves.

Rangers just wanted it more everywhere on the park. Celtic were over-ran from the very first minute.

The only Celtic player who didn't let themselves down was Craig Gordon, without Gordon it would've been 4 or 5.

57 minutes ago, Chripper said:

To be fair, Johnston  did no worse than seasoned players like Forrest or Christie. None of them imposed themselves.

Rangers just wanted it more everywhere on the park. Celtic were over-ran from the very first minute.

The only Celtic player who didn't let themselves down was Craig Gordon, without Gordon it would've been 4 or 5.

Calum McGregor was Celtic's best player, along with Gordon. Your point still stands about Johnston though