Merry Christmas, Everyone! - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Merry Christmas, Everyone!

3 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

I was indeed including our planet Earth in that list. Yes, there are many ways I can prove the planets are made of solid matter.

1. We can actually bounce radio waves off them to measure how far away they are, just like RADAR. 
2. We have observed objects impacting their surface. Just like comet SL-9 smashing into Jupiter back in the mid-90s.
3. We have send multiple probes and rovers to the surface of various planets and moons (especially our Moon and Mars!). Just last week a team of people I work with saw the successful landing of one of their instruments on Mars as part of the InSight mission - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InSight
4. 12 men have actually walked on the Moon. I've met 2 of them.
5. We see the effects of their gravity. We wouldn't have tides on Earth if it wasn't for the gravity of the Moon for example.
6. We see them block the light from the Sun. This happens all the time with Lunar eclipses, but also we've recently seen it happen with the transits of Venus and Mercury.
7. We actually have pieces of Mars that fall to Earth. Pieces of the Martian surface that were release in collisions in the early life of the Solar System are still floating through space and sometimes they enter the Earth's atmosphere as meteorites.
8. We can see the effect their mass has on the light of distant stars. Mass bends spacetime, and you can actually see the way the massive objects in space (like the Sun and Jupiter) bend the light from stars that are behind them. 

No. That doesn't sound like fun at all.

To me Jesus is a biblical figure who is a symbol of hope to millions of humans. They believe he was the physical embodiment of God and he lived in a time when the existence of other planets was already a surprisingly well understood part of astronomy (they were named by the Ancient Greeks). The celebration of his birth gives rise to the most wonderful time of the year!

Only since 1995. I remain an eternal optimist.

Good luck with your evidence. There were two threads about the flatness of the earth,  in the summer, around July/August I think...

Edited by exile

2 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

5. We see the effects of their gravity. We wouldn't have tides on Earth if it wasn't for the gravity of the Moon for example.

That's the theory.

6. We see them block the light from the Sun. This happens all the time with Lunar eclipses, but also we've recently seen it happen with the transits of Venus and Mercury.

I can't explain that one. (I'll have to get back.)

7. We actually have pieces of Mars that fall to Earth. Pieces of the Martian surface that were release in collisions in the early life of the Solar System are still floating through space and sometimes they enter the Earth's atmosphere as meteorites.

How would we know?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/6105902/Moon-rock-given-to-Holland-by-Neil-Armstrong-and-Buzz-Aldrin-is-fake.html

8. We can see the effect their mass has on the light of distant stars. Mass bends spacetime, and you can actually see the way the massive objects in space (like the Sun and Jupiter) bend the light from stars that are behind them. 

This one is also beyond me (for now).

To me Jesus is a biblical figure...

Is Jesus God?

Only since 1995. I remain an eternal optimist.

Did you go to away games?

Do you know me?

2 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

I am a scientist who believes in what can be observed. 

And you believe that that's a superior position to faith?

Do you observe creation without a Creator?

Design without a designer?

Life from non-life?

The highly complex intelligent language of DNA as 'random'? 

I believe there is so much about this Universe that we don't understand, such as how it was created. What, or even who, started it? 

No, He told us.

What I find confusing is that if you do believe in God, why would you dismiss his marvelous creations, such as the other celestial objects? 

I don't.

Sun, moon, stars, wandering stars... it's all there.

It's like arguing that penguins don't exist! 

No, it's not like that at all.

It's like NASA saying this is a photo from the Curiosity rover on Mars, and me saying "No it's not."

mars-rodent-orig-rover-composite1.jpg?w=

Surely you should embrace these wonders...

I absolutely embrace creation. (Not lies about creation.)

In an earlier post you said to someone "That's only because you let others do your thinking for you.". 

Another poster actually said that to me first.

I was just being cute in my reply in pointing out that his worldview was faith-based also.

Heed you own warning. Do your own thinking. 

...um... :banghead:

(No one thinks like me.)

Observe this wonderful Universe around you. No matter who or what created it, it's real and you can see it and touch it.

I already do that.

Now... where are you going to spend eternity?

8 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Life from non-life?

No, He told us.

I don't.

It's like NASA saying this is a photo from the Curiosity rover on Mars, and me saying "No it's not."

I was just being cute in my reply in pointing out that his worldview was faith-based also.

(No one thinks like me.)

I already do that.

Hahaha I wish there was something I could do to convince you I'm not a liar, and that me and my fellow astrophysicists are just a disparate bunch of nerds who are full of the wonder of the Universe, rather than an organised shady illuminati spreading misinformation and the word of Satan. Believe me, we don't have the funding! 

Anyway, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year when it gets here. 

10 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Hahaha I wish there was something I could do to convince you...

I'm going to look into points #6 and #8.

13 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

...me and my fellow astrophysicists are just a disparate bunch of nerds who are full of the wonder of the Universe...

The wonder of creation should naturally be dwarfed by the wonder of the Creator.

16 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

...an organised shady illuminati spreading misinformation and the word of Satan.  

Nicely put.

(I was hoping you'd address the fake stuff.)

17 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Believe me, we don't have the funding! 

If NASA is only going as far as 'Baffin Island' then there'll be a few pennies left over.

18 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Anyway, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year when it gets here. 

And you!

18 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

But the Earth is flat. Just get your spirit level out and you can see that as clear as day! 

They call it sea LEVEL for a reason.

8 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Life from non-life?

No, He told us.

I don't.

(No one thinks like me.)

I already do that.

Looking like the burny fire for Mr mmiaboc.

10 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

But the Earth is flat. Just get your spirit level out and you can see that as clear as day! 

Yes although I think it may also depend on surface temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure  or some such. I think the Bedford Levels experiments, and Southern hemisphere airline schedules, and the view of southern hemisphere stars have all been deployed as arguments, all to no avail. 

On 12/19/2018 at 4:53 AM, Scotty CTA said:

Wonder if there are any more 'awakenings'.

(There must be.)

Well, that didn't take very long... 

The unborn baby spends around 37 weeks in the uterus (womb), but the average length of pregnancy, or gestation, is calculated as 40 weeks. This is because pregnancy is counted from the first day of the woman’s last period, not the date of conception which generally occurs two weeks later, followed by five to seven days before it settles in the uterus. Since some women are unsure of the date of their last menstruation (perhaps due to period irregularities), a pregnancy is considered full term if birth falls between 37 to 42 weeks of the estimated due date. 

A baby born prior to week 37 is considered premature, while a baby that still hasn’t been born by week 42 is said to be overdue. In many cases, labour will be induced in the case of an overdue baby.

Next...

Knowing that Jesus was really born on September 11th, what if Jesus' incarnation (and not His birth) took place on December 25th?

So what would be the amount of time from an incarnation on December 25th to a birth on September 11th?

Answer...

37 weeks and 1 day

Pretty much (if not) the shortest full term pregnancy possible.

Wow... Just WOW!!!

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

Well, that didn't take very long... 

The unborn baby spends around 37 weeks in the uterus (womb), but the average length of pregnancy, or gestation, is calculated as 40 weeks. This is because pregnancy is counted from the first day of the woman’s last period, not the date of conception which generally occurs two weeks later, followed by five to seven days before it settles in the uterus. Since some women are unsure of the date of their last menstruation (perhaps due to period irregularities), a pregnancy is considered full term if birth falls between 37 to 42 weeks of the estimated due date. 

A baby born prior to week 37 is considered premature, while a baby that still hasn’t been born by week 42 is said to be overdue. In many cases, labour will be induced in the case of an overdue baby.

Next...

Knowing that Jesus was really born on September 11th, what if Jesus' incarnation (and not His birth) took place on December 25th?

So what would be the amount of time from an incarnation on December 25th to a birth on September 11th?

Answer...

37 weeks and 1 day

Pretty much (if not) the shortest full term pregnancy possible.

Wow... Just WOW!!!

You've gone too far. No way that Jesus was involved in 9/11! 

Merry fucking Christmas my arse. Yesterday I spent the day with children, singing Christmas carols and having lots of fun. Left work feeling very tired but for once, feeling the Christmas spirit, goodwill to all etc. Then I popped into town for a few things on the way home..........and encountered ignorant, selfish, cuntish fucktards who are obviously too important to stand in a fucking queue without jostling for position and muttering under their breath. Do such people never ever go shopping or use public transport ? What did you want the butcher to do ? How dare I ask for 3 fucking things ???????? I'm talking about the impatient bastards in life who are so self-obsessed that anything that doesn't suit their selfish agenda is 'a disgrace' or 'ridiculous'. Really ????

As for the grumpy old bastard in Markies who did a big 'Och !" because she thought I should literally move myself and my trolley out of her way when I was literally in at the checkout belt ? 🤔 I'd had enough at this point and I cracked. Burst out laughing, wished her a Merry Christmas and backed out and insisted she go first 😇😂

4 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I popped into town for a few things on the way home..........and encountered ignorant, selfish, cuntish fucktards who are obviously too important to stand in a fucking queue without jostling for position and muttering under their breath. Do such people never ever go shopping or use public transport ? What did you want the butcher to do ? How dare I ask for 3 fucking things ???????? I'm talking about the impatient bastards in life who are so self-obsessed that anything that doesn't suit their selfish agenda is 'a disgrace' or 'ridiculous'. Really ????

Jesus came to save us from ourselves (because we can't).

As for the grumpy old bastard in Markies who did a big 'Och !" because she thought I should literally move myself and my trolley out of her way when I was literally in at the checkout belt ? 🤔 I'd had enough at this point and I cracked. Burst out laughing, wished her a Merry Christmas and backed out and insisted she go first 😇😂

Merry Christmas, Brother! :ok:

Is there anything but grumpy old bastards in M&S Food halls ? That shop really does attract more than their fair share of torn faced old codgers , and they dont save them up purely for Christmas.

It is rare to see someone under the age of 40 in there, if they are they are usually navigating their maw around , taking up the entire width of the aisle with their individual trollies and matching hairstyles , just different shades of blonde. 

Anyway, well done on your restraint. I would probably have lobbed my frozen turkey at her.  Not content with filling up the Get it off your chest ‘ thread with all my complaints I seem to have meandered onto the Christmas thread too.

Merry Christmas everyone, especially Scotty for whom it probably means the most to. ❤️Hopefully Santa will bring me a cheery disposition. And a new packet of hankies for the train. 

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Is there anything but grumpy old bastards in M&S Food halls ? That shop really does attract more than their fair share of torn faced old codgers , and they dont save them up purely for Christmas.

It is rare to see someone under the age of 40 in there, if they are they are usually navigating their maw around , taking up the entire width of the aisle with their individual trollies and matching hairstyles , just different shades of blonde. 

Anyway, well done on your restraint. I would probably have lobbed my frozen turkey at her.  Not content with filling up the Get it off your chest ‘ thread with all my complaints I seem to have meandered onto the Christmas thread too.

Merry Christmas everyone, especially Scotty for whom it probably means the most to. ❤️Hopefully Santa will bring me a cheery disposition. And a new packet of hankies for the train. 

I'm not sure new hankies are the best idea? I would have thought used ones would be much more effective.

Luke 2:8-14 King James Version (KJV)

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

Merry Christmas Scotty & everyone else on here from your Southern neighbour.

I am facing my own personal hell this year - Town relegated, our EPL place likely to be taken by Leeds. If there is a God in Heaven, stop that happening. Or Buddha, Allah, Santa or the Good Witch of the West (Yorkshire)...I'm not proud who I have to pray to.