Merry Christmas, Everyone! - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Merry Christmas, Everyone!

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

:sing: I'm gettin' nuttin' for Christmas (cause I ain't been nuttin' but bad)

:sing: Somebody snitched on me...

😇 And that children, was the tale of Scotty and Macy.

After a difficult start in life,  one took the road of God. The other didnt . 

🙂

4 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

Once again scotty merry Christmas whos the lassie singing what a voice 👍

Taya Smith singing in Australian Christian group 'Hillsong Worship'. 

Merry Christmas, 'WTP'!

4 hours ago, bonzo said:

Aw the best Scotty and a merry Christmas to all the tambers. 

Merry Christmas, Bonzo! :ok:

Found my favourite bible verse.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Kings+2%3A23-24&version=NIV

2 Kings 2:23-24 New International Version (NIV)

Elisha Is Jeered

23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

48 minutes ago, phart said:

Found my favourite bible verse.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Kings+2%3A23-24&version=NIV

2 Kings 2:23-24 New International Version (NIV)

Elisha Is Jeered

23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

Yeah that is great.

42 bears boys.. 42...weird. Is that one of those myth embedded precession linked numbers I wonder.

Edited by thplinth

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Yeah that is great.

42 bears boys.. 42...weird. Is that one of those myth embedded precession linked numbers I wonder.

Looking into it, baldness could be a sign of leprosy back then so that's why you get the shouting, just such a weird story bald guy gets heckled and god sends 2 bears to maul them, 42 specifically. A weird number.

4 hours ago, phart said:

Looking into it, baldness could be a sign of leprosy back then so that's why you get the shouting, just such a weird story bald guy gets heckled and god sends 2 bears to maul them...

Why did the Prophet Elisha curse the “youths” for making fun of his baldness (2 Kings 2:23-24)?

Question: "Why did the Prophet Elisha curse the “youths” for making fun of his baldness (2 Kings 2:23-24)?"

Answer: 
There are a few key issues we must understand in regards to this account of the youths cursing Elisha. The text reads, “From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. ‘Go on up, you baldhead!’ they said. ‘Go on up, you baldhead!’ He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.” It seems unbelievable that God would cause two bears to maul a group of children for making fun of a man for being bald.

First, the King James Version has done us a disservice by translated the term as “children.” The Hebrew word can refer to children, but rather more specifically means "young men." The NIV, quoted here, uses the word “youths.” Second, the fact that the bears mauled 42 of the youths indicates that there were more than 42 youths involved. This was not a small group of children making fun of a bald man. Rather, it was a large demonstration of young men who assembled for the purpose of mocking a prophet of God. Third, the mocking of “go on up, you baldhead,” is more than making fun of baldness. The baldness of Elisha referred to here may be: 1) natural loss of hair; 2) a shaved head denoting his separation to the prophetic office; or more likely, 3) an epithet of scorn and contempt, Elisha not being literally bald. The phrase “go up” likely was a reference to Elijah, Elisha’s mentor, being taken up to Heaven earlier in 2 Kings chapter 2:11-12. These youths were sarcastically taunting and insulting the Lord’s prophet by telling him to repeat Elijah’s translation.

In summary, 2 Kings 2:23-24 is not an account of God mauling young children for making fun of a bald man. Rather, it is a record of an insulting demonstration against God’s prophet by a large group of young men. Because these young people of about 20 years of age or older (the same term is used of Solomon in 1 Kings 3:7) so despised the prophet of the Lord, Elisha called upon the Lord to deal with the rebels as He saw fit. The Lord’s punishment was the mauling of 42 of them by two female bears. The penalty was clearly justified, for to ridicule Elisha was to ridicule the Lord Himself. The seriousness of the crime was indicated by the seriousness of the punishment. The appalling judgment was God’s warning to all who would scorn the prophets of the Lord.

42 is a very interesting number. It is the sum of the first 6 even numbers, amongst other interesting things.

I'm not sure that bears ( either wild ones or the Rangers variety) can count up to 42 though? Although they would only need to count up to 21 each, right enough, but even that would be a bit of a stretch, I think.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

42 is a very interesting number. It is the sum of the first 6 even numbers, amongst other interesting things. 

Indeed it is. And 36 is the sum of the first 6 odd numbers.

Infact :

4+2 = 6

3+6 = 9 

69. Another interesting number. A very lucrative summer for Bryan Adams, amongst other interesting things . 

😕, I really need to get back to work.  

On 12/29/2018 at 1:49 PM, thplinth said:

42...weird. Is that one of those myth embedded precession linked numbers I wonder.

On 12/29/2018 at 3:19 PM, phart said:

...42 specifically. A weird number.

On 12/29/2018 at 8:18 PM, Scotty CTA said:

Yeah, it's all a bit 'Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy'. 

The multiplication of sin (6) and perfection (7) perhaps.

The first 3 celebrity deaths of 2019 were all 76.

7x6... 7x6... 7x6...

(Can't think of any meaning, though.)

On 12/30/2018 at 7:12 PM, TDYER63 said:

69. Another interesting number. A very lucrative summer for Bryan Adams, amongst other interesting things . 

😕

Apparently he needed a tongue transplant after that.