Emirates A380 from Glasgow - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Emirates A380 from Glasgow

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

So Glasgow Airport is spending £8million to help out the airline while Dubai upgrades its runway.

Who knows, maybe it was investment already needed or already planned or committed, to upgrade infrastructure in readiness for other things? 

And it's an advertisement of sorts that Glasgow is open for business for handling big planes?

Edited by exile

On 12/17/2018 at 9:00 PM, Grim Jim said:

So Glasgow Airport is spending £8million to help out the airline while Dubai upgrades its runway.

I work for a sister company of Emirates so I'm delighted with this.  Gives me more chance of hitting my bonus this year!!

When I first moved to London I stayed in Chiswick for the first few months, right on the flight path into Heathrow, and in the first month of unemployment I'd sit on the balcony, wee cup of tea, couple of fags and watch the flights come in. I think at that time (2010) it was only Emirates that operated them and watching them come in, dwarfing every other plane before and after them was great. I couldn't believe how quiet they were despite their size, a magnificent feat of engineering, having it depart in and out of Glasgow is great for the airport even if it is on a temporary basis.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

When I first moved to London I stayed in Chiswick for the first few months, right on the flight path into Heathrow, and in the first month of unemployment I'd sit on the balcony, wee cup of tea, couple of fags and watch the flights come in. I think at that time (2010) it was only Emirates that operated them and watching them come in, dwarfing every other plane before and after them was great. I couldn't believe how quiet they were despite their size, a magnificent feat of engineering, having it depart in and out of Glasgow is great for the airport even if it is on a temporary basis.

Used to go to the Far East with work a lot and always went through Dubai so was on these a few times from London to Dubai when they were first introduced, you're right about how quiet they are, also I was amazed how smooth the landings were as well.  The bar upstairs is pretty cool as well.

You need to see one parked up next to a 747 to get a feel for how big they are. 

Edited by aaid

38 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't understand why drones are more dangerous than birds and there are millions of them flying about.

I assume it's because, in theory, you could strap some sort of device to a drone and control its location where as you can't do that with a bird, unless it's a pigeon of course.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I don't understand why drones are more dangerous than birds and there are millions of them flying about.

Birds aren't usually made of metal and have very light delicate bones to allow them to fly. Reports are that the airport drones are big commercial ones too, who knows what it's all about. Doubt it is someone doing it for a laugh because if you heard you could/would get 5 years for it you would stop immediately and hide.

A bloke I used to work with who lives reasonably close to Gatwick has pointed out that they have recently announced plans to increase flights by using the emergency runway and that this has gone down very badly - for obvious reasons - with local residents. Could be a motive for the disruption today.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/18/gatwick-plans-using-emergency-runway-to-increase-flight-capacity

13 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Ugly bassas though.   Size is not everything  :mellow:

Gimmee lovely early jets anytime...

86707d3a05404429f0cc0551477e11e1.jpg

...without the dodgy square windows :(

Was it not the square windows that were the cause of all the crashes involving early Comets?  Stress concentrations at the corners of the apertures causing cracking and decompression I think it was.

26 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Was it not the square windows that were the cause of all the crashes involving early Comets?  Stress concentrations at the corners of the apertures causing cracking and decompression I think it was.

That was my belief when I posted too, but seems we were wrong.   I had a quick read on Wiki, and yes the window corners increased stress there, but turns out other areas of the fuselage failed first under the pressurisation tests they did following several accidents.