Transfer Tall Tales and Players Your Club Nearly Signed - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfer Tall Tales and Players Your Club Nearly Signed

Heard Aberdeen were offered a young Henry & Trezeguet

Klinsmann before he went to spurs

Rangers:

Eoin Jess

Scott Booth

Stephen Glass

Zander Diamond

Ach forget it, I’ll be here all night listing any prospect that we’ve ever had  

Celtic: As above but more recent prospects

A few that are bobbing about archived pages on the internet and others my mates suggested:

Mark Bosnich was offered the chance to go on a season long loan to Celtic in 2000 but turned them down. Celtic panic bought Rab Douglas shortly afterwards.

About 2001, A young Dutch striker called Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink was watched for a while by Rangers.

Colin Cameron was wanted by both the Old Firm in 2001 but was keen to go to England instead.

Don Hutchison publicly pleaded with Rangers to sign him circa 2002/03

Celtic definitely had at least one bid knocked back for a young Kevin McNaughton.

A large number of Injuries and suspensions among the Celtic squad in 2004 stopped Shaun Maloney going on loan to Aberdeen and Aiden McGeady going on loan to Livingston.

11 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Savio??

Aye that's the fella. I did a bit of digging last night. Seems like he had a great career without it being stellar ala Messi or say Zidane. Still he won 3 European Cups at Madrid before starring for Zaragoza and eventually returning to Flamengo. Definitely one of the best players I've ever seen in the flesh and individually easily the most skillful performance I've ever seen that day. 👍

Apparently we weren't too far away from getting him.......a case of what might have been.

21 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

And of course there was Jardel who was a bawhair away from signing for Rangers and went on be one of the most prolific strikers in Europe for a spell!

Couldn't get a work permit I'm sure? Trained with Rangers while he had a broken bone in his foot and Archie Knox apparently said "This lad couldn't trap a bag of cement."

Mind when Stephen Pearson looked like he was going to be a cracking player ?

From October 2003

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/3217529.stm

Rising star Stephen Pearson has been warned that he could lose his place in the Motherwell first-team unless he signs a new contract.
Manager Terry Butcher has become frustrated at Under-21 international Pearson stalling on a new deal as up to 14 English Premiership and top European sides reportedly monitor his progress.

Butcher denied suggestions that midfielder Pearson had been relegated to training with the club's reserves, or that he was close to axing him from the first-team.

But he told BBC Scotland: "I will have to seriously consider selecting someone who is not fully committed to the club."

Leicester City had a £250,000 bid for Pearson turned down during the summer and there was increased speculation about his future when Scotland team-mate James McFadden was sold to Everton for £1.5m.

Motherwell said at the time that they were confident that Pearson would sign an extension to his contract, due to end next summer.
However, McFadden's success at Goodison Park has perhaps increased Pearson's confidence that he would not be overawed by a move to a bigger club.

Now, Celtic, Rangers, Blackburn Rovers, Leeds United, Southampton and West Ham United, plus the likes of Cologne, Kaiserslautern and Schalke 04, are said to be interested.

It appears that Pearson's new agent, Willie McKay, has urged Pearson to wait until the January transfer window before deciding on his future.

He could leave Motherwell next summer for a nominal compensation fee.

McKay told the Daily Express: "At the moment, Stephen is employed by Motherwell and they are entitled to play or rest him as they please.

"But, in my opinion, he is far too good a player not to be used."

Pearson scored a brilliant equaliser against Rangers in Motherwell's last league match.

Butcher holds out more hope of concluding negotiations soon about new contracts with Scotland Under-21 regular Steve Hammell and fellow defender Martyn Corrigan.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Josimar is the classic one for United, but we also had a guy called Edison Machin from Uruguay on trial at the same time as we signed Victor Ferreyra, around 1992.  He played one reserve match in which I was one of a crowd about 2,000, and he looked like he might be the greatest player we’d ever sign. 

What happened next I don’t remember exactly, but it was something like he went back to uruguay to collect his shit, and when he reappeared at Edinburgh Airport they discovered his passport was a fake and that was the end of him. Something like that. 

PS - with hindsight I think the Josimar thing was just his agent trying to put him in the window.  He was never coming to Scotland.  

Also - Peter Bonetti and Charlie George, although those actually happened.