Transfer Tall Tales and Players Your Club Nearly Signed - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfer Tall Tales and Players Your Club Nearly Signed

A timewasting thread for Christmas.

Can you remember from the past any big potential transfers concerning Scottish teams only

a) that were widely rumoured (with or without foundation) 

b) genuinely did almost happened but for whatever reason fell apart.

My Uncle was telling me that in 1996 there was a lot of talk in the papers and on the radio that Paul McGrath was due to have talks with the late, much missed Tommy Burns about signing for Celtic. Their fans even chanted "ooh aah Paul McGrath" at a match that took place in the meantime. 

A few days later it was announced on Clyde that there was big news from Celtic Park, a new player had been signed ................. but it was only David Hannah from Dundee Utd. 

Who could possibly forget Jabba Traynor's repeated assurances near the end of season 2006/07 that - "Rangers will announce the signing of Scott Brown within the next week" :whistling:

Or how about the Record's almost weekly "updates" during season 2007/08 that Hibs and Real Madrid were "discussing a fee" for Steven Fletcher :-))

Must have plenty from the crazy days of the 1980s and 1990s.

Apparently McLeish was offered Samuel Eto'o while he was still at Malaga (Or Mallorca?) and opted for Stevie Thomson instead!

There's also an old article knocking about where we were sniffing around a young Leo Messi but unsurprisingly Barca were a bit reluctant to let him come to Scotland!

Klinsman to Aberdeen was the craziest rumour.i heard. 

I did hear a crazy one the other day, Sam allardyce almost signed lewandowski. I'm not sure which club he was at at the time because I missed the rest of that report on the radio

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I did hear a crazy one the other day, Sam allardyce almost signed lewandowski. I'm not sure which club he was at at the time because I missed the rest of that report on the radio

I think that was at Blackburn. I bet Lewandowski regrets that missed opportunity...

1 minute ago, Clyde1998 said:

Aye - I've got a season ticket and travel to the occasional away game. Not been going so well this season. 😓

I get invited a lot but it's always bad timing. A few lads I work with are season tickets holders too. 

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I get invited a lot but it's always bad timing. A few lads I work with are season tickets holders too. 

I guess they're trying to find people to take their tickets off them. 😅 We've been devoid of any real quality, but a couple of the young lads have breaking through and Tom McIntyre is the first of our Scottish youth contingent to make is debut - so there's something to keep my interest. If you're ever at a game, feel free to say hi. 👍

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

He was due to fly over for signing talks but his flight was cancelled due to the Icelandic volcano  

We played Flamengo of Brazil in a pre-season the year we were at Hampden. They had a winger in their ranks who turned in one of the best individual performances I’ve ever seen. As the story goes, we tried to buy him that day and encouraged by Tommy Burns wee Fergus was ready to write a cheque for £1.5 m on the spot. They hunted us after a bit of swithering. I think he ended up at Real Madrid eventually. I dunno what became of him there but what a player he was! Wish I could mind his name lol

20 minutes ago, slasher said:

We played Flamengo of Brazil in a pre-season the year we were at Hampden. They had a winger in their ranks who turned in one of the best individual performances I’ve ever seen. As the story goes, we tried to buy him that day and encouraged by Tommy Burns wee Fergus was ready to write a cheque for £1.5 m on the spot. They hunted us after a bit of swithering. I think he ended up at Real Madrid eventually. I dunno what became of him there but what a player he was! Wish I could mind his name lol

Savio??