Billy Connolly... it's OK relax - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Connolly... it's OK relax

10 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

I'm a tad confused about what programmes I'm watching or expecting. I started this thread when i saw the one about him in the States. I thought this was the second episode of that, was this a seperate thing with another episode to come. Regardless, thought it was very good. found the meetings with the 'artists' a bit forced. Cried with laughter at the 'jesus suffering fuck' story but maybe the bits before that contributed.

You are not alone ....

His Tweet yesterday through his wife was brilliant!

Sitting on the porch playing that banjo saying “No deid, no slipping away, no dying. Sorry if I depressed you, maybe I should’ve phrased it better!” 😆👍🏼

On 12/23/2018 at 7:10 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Probably when he started swearing to get laughs - excessive swearing

Or there's the oft used Labour brainwashing favourite - I have more in common with a welder from Liverpool than i have with a (name your profession) in Scotland etc etc

In the 80s and 90s, Connolly seemed to be in a lot of conflict with Scotland and "Scottishness", he seems in later years to be a lot more at peace with that.    I wonder if that's got anything to do with his upbringing, abandoned by his mother and sexually abused by his father.

8 hours ago, aaid said:

In the 80s and 90s, Connolly seemed to be in a lot of conflict with Scotland and "Scottishness", he seems in later years to be a lot more at peace with that.    I wonder if that's got anything to do with his upbringing, abandoned by his mother and sexually abused by his father.

I'd say it would've been more to do with being immersed in the unionised world of the shipyards from a young age.  I'm sure many of his former colleagues would have gone down a similar route to the likes of Jimmy Reid as the decades passed.

8 hours ago, aaid said:

I wasn't going to bring up the sexually abused thing as it brings in Jim Fairlie however, since it has been brought up his wife (Pamela)s was a forerunner of the regressive memory therapy treatment that created mass panic about abuse. It's a pseudo-science now. Cost the industry millions in legal reparations etc.

There's no evidence to support the accuracy of the memories he has cause of the method used to recover them. Either way it's heartbreaking.

Brandon Report stated " advised psychiatrists to avoid use of RMT or any "memory recovery techniques", citing a lack of evidence to support the accuracy of memories recovered in this way."

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/psychiatric-bulletin/article/reported-recovered-memories-of-child-sexual-abuse/84BC8C848C1B977F5C9C86E9CB9B1151

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-488623/20-000-payout-woman-falsely-accused-father-rape-recovered-memory-therapy.html  Jim's story

23 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I'd say it would've been more to do with being immersed in the unionised world of the shipyards from a young age.  I'm sure many of his former colleagues would have gone down a similar route to the likes of Jimmy Reid as the decades passed.

You could be right but I was thinking more in general rather than specifically to do with independence or politics.  

I remember when I went to see him once time in the nineties and the Daily Record had had a go at him that day about something he'd said, I can't remember what it was about but I remember thinking that it was a big of a hatchet job.  He went on a - albeit funny - rant about it in his act.

He was also on Who Do You Think You Are a while back and he turned out to be a lot more Scottish and a lot less Irish than he'd previously thought so at might have something to do with it as wel.

9 hours ago, aaid said:

You could be right but I was thinking more in general rather than specifically to do with independence or politics.  

I remember when I went to see him once time in the nineties and the Daily Record had had a go at him that day about something he'd said, I can't remember what it was about but I remember thinking that it was a big of a hatchet job.  He went on a - albeit funny - rant about it in his act.

He was also on Who Do You Think You Are a while back and he turned out to be a lot more Scottish and a lot less Irish than he'd previously thought so at might have something to do with it as wel.

He's certainly always been a mess of contradictions.  Portraying himself as a streetwise Glaswegian suspicious of kilt wearing outsiders, yet he's been happy to be wrapped in tartan throughout his career and has a lot of Highland blood in him, particularly on his mother's side.

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

He's certainly always been a mess of contradictions.  Portraying himself as a streetwise Glaswegian suspicious of kilt wearing outsiders, yet he's been happy to be wrapped in tartan throughout his career and has a lot of Highland blood in him, particularly on his mother's side.

He also discovered he has a bit of Indian ancestry too didn't he ? 

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We are all mainly African if you go back far enough. And part Neanderthal (some more than others ;)). 

Well I was thinking a bit more recent than that. :-)) Just gave it a google. Connolly's great-great-great grandmother was indeed Indian.

On the previously mentioned subject of Connolly's one time rather strong hostility towards those from the highlands and islands, I believe he once mentioned that when he was a wee boy at school there was a nun from the highlands there who used take pleasure in brutally beating the schoolchildren for the slightest of things, and it made him for years afterwards hostile to people from there. He got over it years ago thankfully and enjoyed his recent visit to the Western Isles.

13 hours ago, phart said:

I wasn't going to bring up the sexually abused thing as it brings in Jim Fairlie however, since it has been brought up his wife (Pamela)s was a forerunner of the regressive memory therapy treatment that created mass panic about abuse. It's a pseudo-science now. Cost the industry millions in legal reparations etc.

There's no evidence to support the accuracy of the memories he has cause of the method used to recover them. Either way it's heartbreaking.

Brandon Report stated " advised psychiatrists to avoid use of RMT or any "memory recovery techniques", citing a lack of evidence to support the accuracy of memories recovered in this way."

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/psychiatric-bulletin/article/reported-recovered-memories-of-child-sexual-abuse/84BC8C848C1B977F5C9C86E9CB9B1151

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-488623/20-000-payout-woman-falsely-accused-father-rape-recovered-memory-therapy.html  Jim's story

His wife always did strike me as being a bit creepy. Isn't she heavily into all that "new age" stuff as well ?

Billy has always been my favourite comedian bar none, his coments during indy ref hurt me a bit to which put me off of him slightly, however he seems to have came to some sort of “peace” with nationalism and seems to see it from a different angle nowadays even indicating a growing realisation its the way forward.

The two episodes of made in scotland were very good tv and is a throw back to when tv actually was worth watching, it showed all thats good with scotland(refreshing), I really enjoyed it and for a man who says he has no patriotic bone in his body he sure has made a few episodes that has pulled out every patriotic part of my body, a true scottish legend he really is a national treasure, thank you bill 👍