Leigh Griffiths - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Leigh Griffiths

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Best of luck to him and I hope he beats his demons whatever they are and get's back playing ASAP.

Some horrible rumours going round which I hope are utter shite.

Yes, I heard one in particular from a guy (who I think may be pretty well informed) a couple of weeks back. Hopefully he gets left alone so he at least has a chance to sort it out.

Good luck to him. With 5 young kids he's not going to be short of hard work without the football. 

My sister in law met him a while ago at a function with the Scotland team at the time. She said he was a lovely boy who spent time with my nephew and really seemed happy to be there. 

If what I've heard is true then I hope hes getting the help he needs and it does sound like the club are providing that. 

What this news does do though, is prove that McLeish was right not to play him and was probably just looking after Griffiths. 

I hope he pulls through this. It's a bad situation for anyone to deal with mental problems, particularly when you're in such a high profile occupation. It's important the he gets what ever help he needs and it's right that he's given time out of the game to do allow for that.

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

One thing I found strange was the fact he's been battling it for a while yet he's still put on media duties the other day where anything he says is twisted.

Fingers crossed he's back fighting fit in no time.

I found that strange as well but suppose it's possible the club have only just found out the extent of the issues and he's been trying to downplay it and carry on as "normal".

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

How does having a gambling problem stop you playing football?:blink: I would have thought a football pitch would be the best place for him. Nae puggy machines on a football pitch.

Being up to your eyes in debt, being stressed out your nut due to the debt? Owing the wrong folk money? Plenty of reason why gambling can spiral out control.

I know a few folk from back home that have killed themselves due to gambling debt. It's not a laughing matter.

2 hours ago, dan cake said:

any excuse to avoid playing against the team he loves

Aye, that's it.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

55 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Being up to your eyes in debt, being stressed out your nut due to the debt? Owing the wrong folk money? Plenty of reason why gambling can spiral out control.

I know a few folk from back home that have killed themselves due to gambling debt. It's not a laughing matter.

Aye, that's it.

Aye, I know all that, but how does stopping playing football help him solve any of those problems. It will just give him even more time to sit about worrying about stuff and adding to his problems. And physical exercise is one of the best ways to try to combat stress. It just doesn't make sense to me. 

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, I know all that, but how does stopping playing football help him solve any of those problems. It will just give him even more time to sit about worrying about stuff and adding to his problems. And physical exercise is one of the best ways to try to combat stress. It just doesn't make sense to me. 

They're not making him train with the kids or anything; I'd imagine he's still a fully integrated member of the squad. He'll just be taking a leave from the matchday squads until he gets his head together*. Doing the business on the park is one less thing he's got to worry about.

*Not trying to make light of the matter. Just couldn't think of a better phrase.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

It's good that Griffiths recognised that he needed help, spoke up and now something is being done about it.

Sadly, there are still far to many adult males out there today who think things like clinical depression or bipolar disorder are to be dismissed and that *"real men"* don't get such things. "We didnae huv this in ma day, we jist got oan wi it." what do you do with attitudes liket hat ?

There's a painfully long list on wikipedia of professional fitba players who took their own lives including including Scots like "Wembley Wizard" Hughie Gallacher, Erich Schaedler, Paul McGrillen, Charlie Adam Snr and Chris Mitchell.

In the million to one shot that you actually read the TAMB, Griff, your a wee bugger alright but those two free kicks against England were absolutely fucking brilliant and made every Scotland feel like they were on top of the world, I must have watched them a  thousand times over and I wish you all the best for the future.

*whatever the feck that actually means.

52 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I thought you had a fair point.  I certainly don't understand mental illness and would never profess to but i know if i get a bit stressed then some form of exercise makes me feel a lot better as does hanging out with mates and a bit of normality.  I'd have thought a change in routine and circumstances could possibly have an adverse effect?  Like i say, i have no idea what he is going through but i wish him all the best.  Will be great to see him back in a Scotland shirt and sooner rather than later.

Edited by SMcoolJ

10 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I thought you had a fair point.  I certainly don't understand mental illness and would never profess to but i know if i get a bit stressed then some form of exercise makes me feel a lot better as does hanging out with mates and a bit of normality.  I'd have thought a change in routine and circumstances could possibly have an adverse effect?  Like i say, i have no idea what he is going through but i wish him all the best.  Will be great to see him back in a Scotland shirt and sooner rather than later.

He'll not be sitting on his arse, he's getting professional help.

I don't think running out into a football stadium when you've had issues he's had would be remotely beneficial. Can just imagine Ibrox at the end of the month.

He's being getting plenty exercise, hanging about with mates and every you've said above and there still was  a situation that was grave enough for his friends/family to report him missing.

You don't report a grown adult missing to the police after a few hours unless you have grave concerns over their welfare.

That's all i'll say on the matter.

Had heard the rumours that he had a gambling problem; that Celtic were aware of, and helping him deal with months back.

Apparently Celtic had given him an advance to clear debts...

So I suspect there has been further developments of some sort, either a relapse or he’s just struggling to cope while in the public eye.

As others are saying above, perhaps he’s being taken out of the spotlight rather than being put on leave.

I’d imagine the added pressure of playing for a club like Celtic wouldn’t help him.

Good luck to the guy getting his self better.