Under 21 draw - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 21 draw

PASTA Mick

DuH2bsKX4AAzC6w.jpg:large

Tough group but always was going to be as we are a 4th seed.

However, it could have been much worse.  We could finish anywhere between 1st and 4th.

I'm not sure the next set of u21s will lose players to the first team at anywhere near the rate that the last group did (Teirney, Bates, McKenna, Souttar, McTominay, Burke, McBurnie, Morgan).

There are some really good players in the next set of u21s (Watt, Gilmour, Middleton, Johnston, Hornby, Brophy...to name a few) but I think the first team will have less spaces available than we've had in the last year or two.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

DuH2bsKX4AAzC6w.jpg:large

Tough group but always was going to be as we are a 4th seed.

However, it could have been much worse.  We could finish anywhere between 1st and 4th.

I'm not sure the next set of u21s will lose players to the first team at anywhere near the rate that the last group did (Teirney, Bates, McKenna, Souttar, McTominay, Burke, McBurnie, Morgan).

There are some really good players in the next set of u21s (Watt, Gilmour, Middleton, Johnston, Hornby, Brophy...to name a few) but I think the first team will have less spaces available than we've had in the last year or two.

Brophy is too old for under-21 now and Gilmour, Watt and Hornby have no or negligible first team experience. I wouldn't get wildly excited about our prospects but we're up against other countries with similar small populations so should be competitive at this level.

17 minutes ago, mcnish said:

Brophy is too old for under-21 now and Gilmour, Watt and Hornby have no or negligible first team experience. I wouldn't get wildly excited about our prospects but we're up against other countries with similar small populations so should be competitive at this level.

I really do wish more people would be like that and not get so excited and just let the young lads play and see how it goes.

Remember how we all got our hopes too high with the exploits of Archie Gemmill's Under 20 team ?

I also remember a certain poster on here who in a debate about the U21 team emphatically said that Ryan Fulton (now of Hamilton Accies reserves) and Kyle Cameron (now of Torquay Utd) would "go all the way". Dear oh dear.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

12 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I really do wish more people would be like that and not get so excited and just let the young lads play and see how it goes.

Remember how we all got our hopes too high with the exploits of Archie Gemmill's Under 20 team ?

I also remember a certain poster on here who in a debate about the U21 team emphatically said that Ryan Fulton (now of Hamilton Accies reserves) and Kyle Cameron (now of Torquay Utd) would "go all the way". Dear oh dear.

Depends what “all the way” means.  Fulton could yet play for the full team. Hard to tell for a goalkeeper at 22.

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

Depends what “all the way” means.  Fulton could yet play for the full team. Hard to tell for a goalkeeper at 22.

Well, at the moment he doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

Point I'm making is that wild predictions about how player x and player y are going to become key Scotland players in two or three years is never clever nor helpful. 

Nice to be positive though eh?

Haven't got a clue how good those teams are at U21 level but I'm enjoying watching this new group come through. Yeah you're always going to have high hopes for some that never make it but it's positive.

And there'll always be one that develops later and had little involvement at this level.