Trivia Question - Cancelled Friendly Matches - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Trivia Question - Cancelled Friendly Matches

ErsatzThistle

Heard these two interesting claims last night but I don't know if they are true or a lot of pish ?

1) Scotland were going to play a friendly away against Egypt in late 2001 but the fixture was scrubbed after the 9/11 attacks.

2) We also had a fixture arranged away against the Basque national team circa 2002 or 2003, either in what must have been either the last few months of Brown's management or the first few months of Vogts management but the SFA ultimately cancelled it owing to political violence in the Basque Country at the time.

So is there any truth in these claims or not ?

I never heard anything about playing the Basque national team, but the rumours about Egypt away were widespread and it was certainly discussed here on the TAMB.

Was there any truth in it? I think there probably was.

As to why it may have been cancelled, I don't know.

Obviously, people start discussing travel options when these rumours start and I think it was Paul NATA who got caught out when someone posted 'Whatever you do, don't get the Night Boat To Cairo - it's Madness'.

Only for Paul to reply, 'Why? What's wrong with it?'

26 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I never heard anything about playing the Basque national team, but the rumours about Egypt away were widespread and it was certainly discussed here on the TAMB.

Was there any truth in it? I think there probably was.

As to why it may have been cancelled, I don't know.

Obviously, people start discussing travel options when these rumours start and I think it was Paul NATA who got caught out when someone posted 'Whatever you do, don't get the Night Boat To Cairo - it's Madness'.

Only for Paul to reply, 'Why? What's wrong with it?'

Banter