Andew Robertson - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andew Robertson

Chripper

On 12/15/2018 at 11:56 AM, Chripper said:

So, he played on the left and sometimes inside forward?

Yes, those are literally miles away from being a winger.

Do you know who Kimmich is? He's the German equivalent of Andy Robertson (maybe even better), who scores more goals than Robertson, sets up as well or maybe more and bombs down the right, he's been moved in the anchoman role and he's thriving. Chances that he'll be the German anchorman for the next 7+ years.

To play In the anchorman role you need an engine, you need to have fire in your belly and competitiveness and you have to have good ball retentive skills. Robertson ticks all the boxes. McGregor might be able to play the role in Scotland, but international football is a few steps up. Celtic would be mad to let Scott Brown go.

Lucky for us we have Tierney.

Yeah. I know. How could I claim to be a Scotland (and football fan) when I know nothing about football. I saw "Baxter" and I instantly thought of soup. I know that it sounds strange but when I think of soup the next thing that I think of chicken wings, why? Well, if you cook a dozen chicken wings in a pan, add a can of Baxter's (tomato, usually) soul, add either taco mix (I'll give you my own recipe if you want) or curry powder (any will do, as they usually contain pretty much the same spices: Paprika, Onion powder, Garlic powder, Cumin, Mustard seeds, Chilli powder, Salt, Sugar, nutmeg... am I forgetting anything? No. I don't think so.) Two or three tablespoons will do. If you want to add a little bit of extra richness to the dish then I would recommend a cup or two of coconut milk.

Anyway. Cook all that up in a pan with a lid for 20-25 minutes, add roughly cut opinions (One brown and one red), cook some brown rice (or if you work out, like me, use Quinoa as it's loaded with protein) I assume that you know how to cook rice, right? (add double the quantity of water. Example: If you use one cup rice then add two cups of water). Oh, remember to first steep the rice in water prior to cooking, as it heals to clean them.

So yes. This is the recipe to "Baxter's Wingers"

All my football knowledge comes to recipes and dishes. You should try my Spaghetti Balotelli, Cesar Salah, Chicken with Aguero sauce or Beef Lukaku. Delicious.

:)

Yes, left half is miles away from a winger.

jim Baxter, left half, number 6

willie Johnstone, left wing (outside left), number 11

Left half is a central midfielder in today’s terminology.  Back then, most Scottish teams played w m formation

Goalkeeper

right back    Centre half       Left back

Right half    Left half

Inside right   Inside left

outside right  centre forward  outside left

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Yes, left half is miles away from a winger.

jim Baxter, left half, number 6

willie Johnstone, left wing (outside left), number 11

Left half is a central midfielder in today’s terminology.  Back then, most Scottish teams played w m formation

Goalkeeper

right back    Centre half       Left back

Right half    Left half

Inside right   Inside left

outside right  centre forward  outside left

That doesn't constitute "miles", though.

It's not like it's opposite ends of the park.

Besides, I'm younger than most people here, so excuse my ignorance. ;)

6 hours ago, Chripper said:

That doesn't constitute "miles", though.

It's not like it's opposite ends of the park.

Besides, I'm younger than most people here, so excuse my ignorance. ;)

Goalie isn’t miles away on the park from centre half but they are quite different jobs 😊

look, I think we all get the point you are making.  I have seen players be reinvented in new positions before but it’s the exception rather than the rule as to it working out better.  In Robertson’s case if Klopp were to see something that made him convert Robertson in to  the new pirlo then great, otherwise he should stick at left back.

Edited by Malcolm

12 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Goalie isn’t miles away on the park from centre half but they are quite different jobs 😊

look, I think we all get the point you are making.  I have seen players be reinvented in new positions before but it’s the exception rather than the rule as to it working out better.  In Robertson’s case if Klopp were to see something that made him convert Robertson in to  the new pirlo then great, otherwise he should stick at left back.

Actually, I'm glad you said that. Pirlo started his career with Brescia and Inter Milan as an attacking midfielder, it was AC Milan that pushed him into an anchorman position.... to dazzling results.

The football knowledge of some people in this place is strange. They think that players are unable to play in more than one position.

5 minutes ago, @neaver82 said:

Worth upwards of £80m, best left back in the world, tired looking at him etc etc etc. And yet 1 misplaced pass at Hampden and you hear voices in the crowd saying he is shite for Scotland :spin: :lol: :hammer:. Darren Fletcher used to get the same treatment.

I know.

Darren Fletcher literally put playing for Scotland ahead of his health. I remember that he drove from Manchester to Glasgow and he made about 10 or 12 bathroom stops along the way. It's a pity the illness curtailed his career.

Darren Fletcher only ever played a handful of good games for Scotland..and for most part wouldn’t be fit to lace Barry Ferguson’s or Scott Broons jock strap.

1 hour ago, allyc said:

Darren Fletcher only ever played a handful of good games for Scotland..and for most part wouldn’t be fit to lace Barry Ferguson’s or Scott Broons jock strap.

Darren Fletcher was better than Ferguson and Brown combined.

Plus he never retired or embarrassed his country, so that puts him ahead in my book. 

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

Actually, I'm glad you said that. Pirlo started his career with Brescia and Inter Milan as an attacking midfielder, it was AC Milan that pushed him into an anchorman position.... to dazzling results.

The football knowledge of some people in this place is strange. They think that players are unable to play in more than one position.

Not really. Taking an established player at one position and moving him to another is still relatively uncommon. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but a young Pirlo at attacking mid wasn’t setting the league on fire I don’t think. 

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Not really. Taking an established player at one position and moving him to another is still relatively uncommon. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but a young Pirlo at attacking mid wasn’t setting the league on fire I don’t think. 

Kimmich? Alaba?

He was instrumental in Brescia winning Serie B. He did well enough that he got a move to Inter Milan. He did struggle at Inter Milan, though.

How many games have Kimmich and Alaba actually played at anchorman? What are the circumstances?

The fact that they've both been played in that position leads me to believe it's probably situational and far from ideal, as opposed to Kovac seeing something in either player that stands out that either of them is an outstanding candidate to be an anchorman.

12 hours ago, allyc said:

It was the players around him who were not fit to lace his boots that were the issue with Fletcher.

2 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

How many games have Kimmich and Alaba actually played at anchorman? What are the circumstances?

The fact that they've both been played in that position leads me to believe it's probably situational and far from ideal, as opposed to Kovac seeing something in either player that stands out that either of them is an outstanding candidate to be an anchorman.

Kimmich has played anchorman for Germany in their last 6 matches (He plays more as a fullback for Bayern), and it's pretty much the same with Alaba. Circumstances? They're both class players (who are brilliant as fullbacks), so they can pretty much play anywhere. I remember the last Euro Championships when Kimmich was pretty much the stand out at right back for Germany, his marauding runs were a trademark. But the took that energy and put it into midfield.

I think Robertson is every bit the player that Kimmich is (which is a compliment) and putting that energy and quality into midfield would be a piece of genius.

55 minutes ago, @neaver82 said:

It was the players around him who were not fit to lace his boots that were the issue with Fletcher.

Definitely.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Gus McPherson played in goals for Killie twice.

Never really understood why we never moved him from right back to goalkeeper to be honest.

Yes, because Gus McPherson played for Liverpool. he played in the EPL, he played in the European Cup final, he got lauded from top managers in the game, he had a £72.1 million price tag, he captained Scotland, Liverpool fans chanted his name in every single match, people claimed that McPherson could've played for Barcelona.

Apart from that that Robertson and McPherson were identical.

Seriously, mate, if all you can do is enter threads and be sarcastic, you have way too much time on your hands. That goes for everyone who ever posted on a posting board. Try to form constructive points in your head and then post them. Sarcasm is the lowest for of wit, anyone can do it.

Edited by Chripper

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Yes, because Gus McPherson played for Liverpool. he played in the EPL, he played in the European Cup final, he got lauded from top managers in the game, he had a £72.1 million price tag, he captained Scotland, Liverpool fans chanted his name in every single match, people claimed that McPherson could've played for Barcelona.

Seriously, mate, if all you can do is enter threads and be sarcastic, you have way too much time on your hands. That goes for everyone who ever posted on a posting board. Try to form constructive points in your head and then post them. Sarcasm is the lowest for of wit, anyone can do it.

Aren't your first two paragraphs sarcastic here? Did I miss the joke?

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Never noticed Liverpool fans chanting his name as a centre mid, nor him playing all these games as a centre mid.

He's worth £72m as a centre mid to you say? News to me.

If you think Robertson should be moved from the position he is rated at £72m playing, get's lauded off top mangers playing. played in the European Cup Final playing,, then batter in.

You're off your head and no matter how many times you say it, it's mental.

As I said, stick to Football Manger and being a condescending prat.

I'm only being sarcastic as that's exactly as you do when folk disagree with your pie in the sky formations. Bit like when you guaranteed we'd qualify if we switched to a back 3.

Absolutely zero to base that on except the thoughts in your head.

I've been sarcastic in two football threads with you 1) when you suggested merging teams to creat super teams and 2) when you suggested playing our best player out of position.

Both mental yet you've convinced yourself they are good ideas.

The other one I was sarcastic with you, was when you went on a massive rant on Scotty's Christmas thread with your usual "look at me" posts.

And I'm the one with too much time on my hands, you're the one checking up formations from every league in Europe ya weirdo!