Andew Robertson - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andew Robertson

Chripper

10 hours ago, Chripper said:

False equivalency as my contention is that a defender could move to a defensive midfield position.

Whereas your (hopefully sarcastic quip, either that or you're late for an AA meeting) suggestion is that a winger could double as a center back, is.... cute.

Swing and a miss by the guy who has more than 4 thousand posts and only 22 rep points. 

Jim Baxter? Winger?:blink:

15 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

He'd probably have a lot more than 22 likes if he was. There's Rangers fans here, right?

Probably. Why?

Gotta be honest, I have no idea who supports who, nor do I care very much.

48 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Jim Baxter? Winger?:blink:

Yep.

Just now, Tartan_McCole said:

Was suggesting that he'd get more likes from Rangers fans for any Nazi related posts. I suppose if you have to explain a joke then it's not overly funny to begin with!

:lol:

I'll give you points for effort... but not actual points, I'm not just giving them away. :P

18 hours ago, Chripper said:

False equivalency as my contention is that a defender could move to a defensive midfield position.

Whereas your (hopefully sarcastic quip, either that or you're late for an AA meeting) suggestion is that a winger could double as a center back, is.... cute.

Swing and a miss by the guy who has more than 4 thousand posts and only 22 rep points. 

At a guess I would say that that close to 4000 of those post were prior to the  rep points and "laughing at" and "confused" emoji's should count as a negative unless the poster was making a joke. Knocks you back a bit.

22 hours ago, Chripper said:

I’m not really sure what your dig at the end even means, but anyway, I’ll put it another way.  Andy Robertson is a world class left back but given his strengths are driving forward into space, he’s unlikely to be a world class holding midfielder, a position whose key requirements are an ability to hold your ground and not get caught up the park. 

With Robertson left back we have a world class player in the team.  With Robertson in at defensive midfield we probably don’t. 

12 hours ago, adamntg said:

Do I have to get a gun!?

I know it's hard to believe that somebody, who claims to know about Scottish football, doesn't know who Jim Baxter was, but I don't think he deserves to be shot for it. That would be taking things a wee bit too far.:lol:

13 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Baxter wasn’t a winger.  He played left half, and occasionally inside forward.   Hopefully you are not confusing the left half position with winger.

So, he played on the left and sometimes inside forward?

Yes, those are literally miles away from being a winger.

12 hours ago, adamntg said:

I’m not really sure what your dig at the end even means, but anyway, I’ll put it another way.  Andy Robertson is a world class left back but given his strengths are driving forward into space, he’s unlikely to be a world class holding midfielder, a position whose key requirements are an ability to hold your ground and not get caught up the park. 

With Robertson left back we have a world class player in the team.  With Robertson in at defensive midfield we probably don’t. 

Do you know who Kimmich is? He's the German equivalent of Andy Robertson (maybe even better), who scores more goals than Robertson, sets up as well or maybe more and bombs down the right, he's been moved in the anchoman role and he's thriving. Chances that he'll be the German anchorman for the next 7+ years.

To play In the anchorman role you need an engine, you need to have fire in your belly and competitiveness and you have to have good ball retentive skills. Robertson ticks all the boxes. McGregor might be able to play the role in Scotland, but international football is a few steps up. Celtic would be mad to let Scott Brown go.

Lucky for us we have Tierney.

48 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I know it's hard to believe that somebody, who claims to know about Scottish football, doesn't know who Jim Baxter was, but I don't think he deserves to be shot for it. That would be taking things a wee bit too far.:lol:

Yeah. I know. How could I claim to be a Scotland (and football fan) when I know nothing about football. I saw "Baxter" and I instantly thought of soup. I know that it sounds strange but when I think of soup the next thing that I think of chicken wings, why? Well, if you cook a dozen chicken wings in a pan, add a can of Baxter's (tomato, usually) soul, add either taco mix (I'll give you my own recipe if you want) or curry powder (any will do, as they usually contain pretty much the same spices: Paprika, Onion powder, Garlic powder, Cumin, Mustard seeds, Chilli powder, Salt, Sugar, nutmeg... am I forgetting anything? No. I don't think so.) Two or three tablespoons will do. If you want to add a little bit of extra richness to the dish then I would recommend a cup or two of coconut milk.

Anyway. Cook all that up in a pan with a lid for 20-25 minutes, add roughly cut opinions (One brown and one red), cook some brown rice (or if you work out, like me, use Quinoa as it's loaded with protein) I assume that you know how to cook rice, right? (add double the quantity of water. Example: If you use one cup rice then add two cups of water). Oh, remember to first steep the rice in water prior to cooking, as it heals to clean them.

So yes. This is the recipe to "Baxter's Wingers"

All my football knowledge comes to recipes and dishes. You should try my Spaghetti Balotelli, Cesar Salah, Chicken with Aguero sauce or Beef Lukaku. Delicious.

:)

Edited by Chripper

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Would Lahm have been moved to defensive midfield by Guardiola partly because he was older and couldn’t get up and down the right like he used to?

Enter Alan Hutton

I often thought that Hutton should have been tried out in midfield by one of the clubs he played for. He had a great engine on him, decent in the air And he was one of the first Scottish players to learn how to win free kicks by falling over. He could have been the white Makelele.

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I often thought that Hutton should have been tried out in midfield by one of the clubs he played for. He had a great engine on him, decent in the air And he was one of the first Scottish players to learn how to win free kicks by falling over. He could have been the white Makelele.

He was so good they named the best Brazilian right back ever after him. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Would Lahm have been moved to defensive midfield by Guardiola partly because he was older and couldn’t get up and down the right like he used to?

Enter Alan Hutton

We're talking about a guy who spent his entire career with Bayern Munich, not Brechin. (Barring a loan spell)

So.... no.

And people are making jokes at my expense (Bullies need an audience) but one of the best left backs in the world (Robertson) started at Celtic's youth sides as a left winger, now he's a full back. It would appear that most people think of footballers as being linear and unable to play anywhere else, which is rather sweet when you think about it. The better a footballer is the more adaptability he has. Hell, Darren Fletcher played 50+ times as a right back at Manchester United.

Edited by Chripper

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

We're talking about a guy who spent his entire career with Bayern Munich, not Brechin.

So.... no.

And people are making jokes at my expense (Bullies need an audience) but one of the best left backs in the world (Robertson) started at Celtic's youth sides as a left winger, now he's a full back. It would appear that most people think of footballers as being linear and unable to play anywhere else, which is rather sweet when you think about it. The better a footballer is the more adaptability he has. Hell, Darren Fletcher played 50+ times as a right back at Manchester United.

Age affects all players, Bayern or Brechin. Matthaus was an attacking mid then sweeper as he got older. Sure Lahm would have been in his 30’s when he changed positions. 

Cant speak for anyone else but I’m not saying players can’t play in different positions, happens all the time. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt