Andew Robertson - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andew Robertson

Chripper

4 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Haha I meant your misspelling of his username.

Oh. To be completely honest with you, I couldn't tell his proper name if I tried, as I don't know it. I just usually glance as the names here, so everyone one bleeds into the one for me. 

I know that it had macaroon in the name. And an e. That's about it. 

20 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Why?

I just think that he would thrive in the middle of midfield. Liverpool play in a fluid way and he found himself in the anchorman position for a period on Tuesday and he made one cracking interception that lead the fans to chant his name, en mass. Generally, how many fans chant the name of a fullback? I think being at Liverpool his awareness, his ball retention and his general football intelligence has hit the roof.

If you play for this Liverpool team then you must be versatile: he sometimes swaps positions on the left midfield with Milner, he sometimes fills in when the central midfield has been emptied. 

He has the same engine as John McGinn but he has far more quality on the ball, as well vastly more intelligence off the ball. You don't play for the team who is 1st in the EPL if you're careless on the ball and/or lackadaisical.

If he moved into an anchorman position for Scotland then yes, we would miss his attacking attributes, but that's where Tierney comes in. Irrespective of Tierney, I'd still think about playing Robertson in the anchorman role.

Edited by Chripper

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

I just think that he would thrive in the middle of midfield. Liverpool play in a fluid way and he found himself in the anchorman position for a period on Tuesday and he made one cracking interception that lead the fans to chant his name, en mass. Generally, how many fans chant the name of a fullback? I think being at Liverpool his awareness, his ball retention and his general football intelligence has hit the roof.

If you play for this Liverpool team then you must be versatile: he sometimes swaps positions on the left midfield with Milner, he sometimes fills in when the central midfield has been emptied. 

He has the same engine as John McGinn but he has far more quality on the ball, as well vastly more intelligence off the ball. You don't play for the team who is 1st in the EPL if you're careless on the ball and/or lackadaisical.

If he moved into an anchorman position for Scotland then yes, we would miss his attacking attributes, but that's where Tierney comes in. Irrespective of Tierney, I'd still think about playing Robertson in the anchorman role.

I'm not having that and I very much doubt Klopp will either.

He'll be the Liverpool left back for the next 5+ years.

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm not having that and I very much doubt Klopp will either.

He'll be the Liverpool left back for the next 5+ years.

Well, that's your prerogative. Personally I think he would take to it like a duck to water. Plus it might give Tony Gallacher a chance to break into the team.

In his relatively short career he's been a left winger, left back, left midfielder. He's shown that he's versatile. He could certainly shine as an anchorman. I'd definitely trust him more than John McGinn in that position.

Dangerous thing to say. Celtic and Scotland fans said that John Kennedy would be center back for 10+ years, look how that turned out.

20 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Well, that's your prerogative. Personally I think he would take to it like a duck to water. Plus it might give Tony Gallacher a chance to break into the team.

In his relatively short career he's been a left winger, left back, left midfielder. He's shown that he's versatile. He could certainly shine as an anchorman. I'd definitely trust him more than John McGinn in that position.

Dangerous thing to say. Celtic and Scotland fans said that John Kennedy would be center back for 10+ years, look how that turned out.

I don't think using the point that he's only ever played on the left hand side all his career so he's versatile enough to play centre midfield is quite the compelling point you might think it is.

We've had this argument (discussion? :lol:) before so I'm not trying to sway you away from your opinion, but that point just tickled me.

Just now, Tartan_McCole said:

I don't think using the point that he's only ever played on the left hand side all his career so he's versatile enough to play centre midfield is quite the compelling point you might think it is.

We've had this argument (discussion? :lol:) before so I'm not trying to sway you away from your opinion, but that point just tickled me.

Actually, did you read my prior posts? I did note that he filled in the middle for relative long spells against Napoli (also against Arsenal) and looks classy in doing so. But he didn't spend long enough in the middle area for me to cite it In my previous post, but I can assure you, he could definitely play in the middle of midfield and in the middle of defence. :)

We have? I don't remember, sorry.

15 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Actually, did you read my prior posts? I did note that he filled in the middle for relative long spells against Napoli (also against Arsenal) and looks classy in doing so. But he didn't spend long enough in the middle area for me to cite it In my previous post, but I can assure you, he could definitely play in the middle of midfield and in the middle of defence. :)

We have? I don't remember, sorry.

I mean, I don't doubt he floated about the central area of midfield at times, and I also don't doubt that he's covered at centre half to bail out a central defender on occasion. Those are just general things footballers all over the park do.

You say you've watched him extensively enough though, and I have not (outwith Scotland games and high profile Liverpool games), so I'm happy to take your opinion on it. I don't see the need for it myself, but if it gets looked into in the future by either Klopp or McLeish (or whoever replaces either) and works out then fair play to you.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Lot's of ifs and buts in there.

He's one of the best left backs in Europe just now. I would be amazed if Klopp starts messing about with that any time soon. The chance of Gallagher making it at Liverpool are slim, not many players come through the ranks there and being first team players.

John Kennedy would have been but for injury. Can't legislate for injuries. He could have probably played midfield too. Not many Scotland or Celtic fans were suggesting that though as he was a class apart at Centre Half. A bit like Robertson.

I don't see the obsession with trying to find him another position. When was the last time we had a genuine world class player?

For what it's worth I thought Robertson struggled in midfield for us and is far, far better as a full back.

6 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

I mean, I don't doubt he floated about the central area of midfield at times, and I also don't doubt that he's covered at centre half to bail out a central defender on occasion. Those are just general things footballers all over the park do.

You say you've watched him extensively enough though, and I have not (outwith Scotland games and high profile Liverpool games), so I'm happy to take your opinion on it. I don't see the need for it myself, but if it gets looked into in the future by either Klopp or McLeish (or whoever replaces either) and works out then fair play to you.

Liverpool play in a fluid way that several players rotate during the 90 minutes, similar to Barcelona and Manchester City. I think this is why it took Robertson a while to break into the first team, he had to adapt to way that Klopp demanded of his players. This has enhanced Robertson's football intelligence, so much so that I'm sure he's exceeded Klopp's expectations. I can definitely see him replacing wither Milner or Henderson.

He's turned into a leader and I think he would excel in the engine room. Klopp knows what he's doing (understatement) so he knows best, but I'd love to see him shifted in the middle. Not saying that he'd be like Gattuso but they do share the same enthusiasm. Both would run through a brick wall. Remember against Man City when Robertson sprinted and closed down five different players? He reminded me of a pre-illness Darren Fletcher.

12 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Lot's of ifs and buts in there.

He's one of the best left backs in Europe just now. I would be amazed if Klopp starts messing about with that any time soon. The chance of Gallagher making it at Liverpool are slim, not many players come through the ranks there and being first team players.

John Kennedy would have been but for injury. Can't legislate for injuries. He could have probably played midfield too. Not many Scotland or Celtic fans were suggesting that though as he was a class apart at Centre Half. A bit like Robertson.

I don't see the obsession with trying to find him another position. When was the last time we had a genuine world class player?

For what it's worth I thought Robertson struggled in midfield for us and is far, far better as a full back.

I know.

I know, plus Moreno isn't really a left back to be trusted so It kinda reduces the chances of it happening. Hopefully Robertson takes Gallacher under his wing and his the good habits rub off. 

I know. It's a shame that (from a purely selfish point of view, as personally he must've been crushed) we were robbed on a youngster who really could've been a star. 

Barring illness, Darren Fletcher would've been world class. Apart from that, it's been a while. I know that some don't agree, but Lambert was world class, in my opinion.

Fair enough. It would be interesting to see him in the middle of midfield and Tierney at left wingback.

18 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Makes me wonder why we never played Jim Baxter at centre half.  He’d have been great at it. 

False equivalency as my contention is that a defender could move to a defensive midfield position.

Whereas your (hopefully sarcastic quip, either that or you're late for an AA meeting) suggestion is that a winger could double as a center back, is.... cute.

Swing and a miss by the guy who has more than 4 thousand posts and only 22 rep points. 

Edited by Chripper

8 hours ago, Chripper said:

False equivalency as my contention is that a defender could move to a defensive midfield position.

Whereas your (hopefully sarcastic quip, either that or you're late for an AA meeting) suggestion is that a winger could double as a center back, is.... cute.

Swing and a miss by the guy who has more than 4 thousand posts and only 22 rep points. 

Rep points :lol: Oh, you got him good there!