Andew Robertson - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andew Robertson

Chripper

2 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

I don't have a horse in this race, but it doesn't sound as different as you clearly think it does.

No. It definitely is different.

"When will he grow up..." - Meaning "It could be this year, or next year or ten years from now"

"Why hasn't he grown up..." - Meaning why hasn't he grown up yet?!"

There's a nuance there. ;)

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He'd be off his head to go to either.

I thought we were wanting our players playing at the top level. Neither of those sides are, or will be anywhere near Cl places, nor will they regularly be in Europe.

Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Man City or Liverpool would be a good move,.

I don't know. Andy Robertson has to pay his dues with Hull for a few years in order to get a big move to a top 6 club.

It might be a wee bit different with Tierney, what with him being with the team he supports and playing in Europe, etc.

Whatever happens, it'll be interesting to see. 

28 minutes ago, Chripper said:

No. It definitely is different.

"When will he grow up..." - Meaning "It could be this year, or next year or ten years from now"

"Why hasn't he grown up..." - Meaning why hasn't he grown up yet?!"

There's a nuance there. ;)

I mean, I can read. I can see there is a difference. I'm just telling you that on the face of it, it doesn't sound as different as you think it does.

Example, seeing as it seems to be needed. If you turned round to a youngster (anywhere between 18 and 24) and said "When will you grow up?" and "Why haven't you grown up?", both would be taken fairly negatively, despite your honest intentions.

As I say, they don't sound as different as you think they do.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

I don't know. Andy Robertson has to pay his dues with Hull for a few years in order to get a big move to a top 6 club.

It might be a wee bit different with Tierney, what with him being with the team he supports and playing in Europe, etc.

Whatever happens, it'll be interesting to see. 

Tierney, quite rightly IMO won't move to a mid/bottom end EPL side.

That's not proving yourself at the highest level, that's just chasing the cash. Christ, Calum Paterson is playing at that level so the standard can't be that high!

1 hour ago, Tartan_McCole said:

I mean, I can read. I can see there is a difference. I'm just telling you that on the face of it, it doesn't sound as different as you think it does.

Example, seeing as it seems to be needed. If you turned round to a youngster (anywhere between 18 and 24) and said "When will you grow up?" and "Why haven't you grown up?", both would be taken fairly negatively, despite your honest intentions.

As I say, they don't sound as different as you think they do.

You make a good point. :)

24 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Not really, no.

Are you sure? We had the conversation about merging teams last week. 

So, are you going to bring it up every time I post?

22 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

That's not proving yourself at the highest level, that's just chasing the cash. Christ, Calum Paterson is playing at that level so the standard can't be that high!

It's about climbing the ladder. Of the Scots in the EPL: Robertson climbed the ladder, Fraser might, but Paterson won't go any further, nor will McArthur or Snodgrass.

Tierney probably won't need a move like the aforementioned, as he's with a (currently) more successful club than they were.

Edited by Chripper

I like to drop this in occasionally in these debates but I'd choose Tierney as my left back anyway. Now. Even before he joins a 'top club'. I know I'm on my own. I love the old idea of the best Scottish players playing in Scotland and never having to leave. I equally love seeing them play across the world.

11 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I like to drop this in occasionally in these debates but I'd choose Tierney as my left back anyway. Now. Even before he joins a 'top club'. I know I'm on my own. I love the old idea of the best Scottish players playing in Scotland and never having to leave. I equally love seeing them play across the world.

No. You're definitely not on your own with that one. Tierney is a fantastic player so I'd play him as the left (wing) back.

I'm probably on my own on this one, but I'd play Robertson as an anchorman. I've watched him closely for the last couple of years and he's developing into a bit of a snarler with a bit of bite, also, he's very good at ball retention. I'd certainly trust him in midfield more than I would McGinn. If anything, I'd play McGinn in a more advanced role as he has a tendency to fluff a pass... do that deep in midfield and you're going to concede.

50 minutes ago, Chripper said:

No. You're definitely not on your own with that one. Tierney is a fantastic player so I'd play him as the left (wing) back.

I'm probably on my own on this one, but I'd play Robertson as an anchorman. I've watched him closely for the last couple of years and he's developing into a bit of a snarler with a bit of bite, also, he's very good at ball retention. I'd certainly trust him in midfield more than I would McGinn. If anything, I'd play McGinn in a more advanced role as he has a tendency to fluff a pass... do that deep in midfield and you're going to concede.

I wouldn't be changing the

McGregor Armstrong

Forrest Christie Fraser

midfield

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

You make a good point. :)

Are you sure? We had the conversation about merging teams last week. 

So, are you going to bring it up every time I post?

It's about climbing the ladder. Of the Scots in the EPL: Robertson climbed the ladder, Fraser might, but Paterson won't go any further, nor will McArthur or Snodgrass.

Tierney probably won't need a move like the aforementioned, as he's with a (currently) more successful club than they were.

Patterson is not much over 24 and this is his first season in the EPL. To say he won't go any further is a bit of a bold statement, Not saying he will but to say he won't is a bit arrogant.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Good Point  he would however play against better players on a weekly basis. 

He could go to A mid/lower team for a year of two and do a Van Dyke 

Do you think the same about Armstrong?  is he just chasing cash?     

I do like your Paterson point, made me chuckle....

11 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Liverpool fans on Twitter on meltdown about how good Andy has been tonight

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He’s been very very good. 

Should have 2 assists to his name. 

As ever he’s been very good going forward but I think he’s been pretty ropey defensively. 

I just think his stock is so high with Liverpool fans at the moment (and rightly so) that they are incapable of seeing him do any wrong 

3 minutes ago, Marky said:

As ever he’s been very good going forward but I think he’s been pretty ropey defensively. 

I just think his stock is so high with Liverpool fans at the moment (and rightly so) that they are incapable of seeing him do any wrong 

Aye he got caught out by a good pass just as I posted that 

21 minutes ago, Marky said:

‘Ropey’? Very harsh. MOM by a long way. He’s turning into some player

23 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

‘Ropey’? Very harsh. MOM by a long way. He’s turning into some player

MotM? Really?

I’ll confess I missed the first 15 mins of both halves so unless he was particularly incredible in that half hour then I wouldn’t have had him anywhere near MotM. 

Akso don’t think ropey is harsh. I’m not suggesting he’s consistently poor or anything like it. On the contrary, for the most part he’s very good. Ropey to me suggests that two or three times in a match he’ll be positionally poor or lose concentration. Often at that level that can be enough to lose you the game. Tonight it didn’t, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t ropey tonight. I wasn’t saying Robertson is a ropey defender as a rule. But I think he was tonight. Hence why I was surprised people were saying the Liverpool fans were raving about him. 

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Paterson is only a brace away from equalling Lukaku, Lacazette, and Mane this season...

8 hours ago, Chripper said:

See? Someone trying  to score a point. :lol:

Fail.

My post was "When will he grow up..." not "Why hasn't he grown up...". See the difference? :)

Try again, though. I see that you've replaced Eire macaroon as my stalker.

:)

This is top level troll work.

13 hours ago, stocky said:

Good Point  he would however play against better players on a weekly basis. 

He could go to A mid/lower team for a year of two and do a Van Dyke 

Do you think the same about Armstrong?  is he just chasing cash?     

I do like your Paterson point, made me chuckle....

Armstrong is 27. Armstrong wasn't playing for the club he grew up supporting. Armstrong is nowhere near as a good a player as KT is and Southampton was probably as good a club as he'd get the EPL.

As I said earlier, KT will still be 23, coming up on 24 if/when Celtic do 10IAR. If he leaves at that age he'll not even be at his peak.

I want him playing at the highest level but him not leaving Celtic at this stage isn't lack of ambition IMO. Wanting to be part of history (he'll be captain by then) isn't lack of ambition.

Even though I'd love to see a club stop 10IAR!