Andew Robertson - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andew Robertson

Chripper

A study by analysts the CIES Football Observatory places the former Queen’s Park and Dundee United defender third in a list of players from the English, French, German, Spanish and Italian top-flight leagues whose value has gone sky-high since the beginning of the season.

Robertson is now worth a reported £72.1 Million. 

I know that, in essence, this means very little, but at least we can say that we now have a player who is venturing into "world class" territory. I wonder when Kieran Tierney will finally grow up and join a top league.

Proud to have Andy Robertson as our captain.

A lad who genuinely seems to love playing for his country and is actually a good player into the bargain.

Klopp has said that Robertson is one of the hardest trainers at LFC.

He explained that the reason for Robertson's initial lack of games was that they thought he could be much more fitter and had some of the finer points of defensive play still to get right so they spent a couple of months training him up further. A lot of young players these days Klopp said would take the huff but Robertson rose the challenge and became a much better player as a result. 

After his slow start I was convinced that the Liverpool board had bought Robertson and Klopp didn't want him. :lol:

17 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Proud to have Andy Robertson as our captain.

A lad who genuinely seems to love playing for his country and is actually a good player into the bargain.

Klopp has said that Robertson is one of the hardest trainers at LFC.

He explained that the reason for Robertson's initial lack of games was that they thought he could be much more fitter and had some of the finer points of defensive play still to get right so they spent a couple of months training him up further. A lot of young players these days Klopp said would take the huff but Robertson rose the challenge and became a much better player as a result. 

After his slow start I was convinced that the Liverpool board had bought Robertson and Klopp didn't want him. :lol:

The lad isn't just an example for any young footballer that gets rejected by a football club, he's also an example for anyone who gets rejected in life. The rise of Robertson is incredible, from being rejected by Celtic, then playing part time for Queens Park and stacking shelves, to Dundee United and then on to Liverpool and shining for them and for Scotland.

It's quite remarkable.

The Liverpool fans were skeptical about buying a Scottish player from Hull, but he's now a folk hero at Liverpool.

He's a model pro and I truly hope that his professionalism will rub off on his fellow Scottish internationals, both young and old.

6 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Why does KT need to “grow up”?

To test himself against better players and bigger teams.

He'll playing against free transfers, etc, week in and week out. Sooner or later there'll be a breaking point where he feels the need to test himself against better players.

Only Celtic fans will want him to remain in Scotland.

9 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Tierney is 21 and played nearly 200 games for club and country. Telling him to grow up is a bit harsh when he’s achieved a lot for a player of his age. 

He seems pretty level headed so would expect him to play at a higher level soon. 

Nah, I didn't tell him to grow up, I said I wonder when he will.

:)

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

Why does KT need to “grow up”?

Yeah, really bizarre. If he wants to spend his career at Celtic I can't see why that should be held against him if he continues to grow. I think he'd benefit a great deal by playing amongst the top teams in Europe but it's an understandable decision.

That said, If he did travel I think we'd quickly reopen the debate about our best left back

13 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Bizarre angle to have a dig at Tierney but carry on 

Who's having a dig at Tierney? 

Maybe you should re-read what I wrote.

"Age doesn't bring maturity." is a broad statement about human beings, in general. And it's a true statement. If age brought maturity and intelligence then the "elders" would be at the pinnacle of theology and science, etc.  Now, if I said that "Tierney doesn't mature with age" then you would certainly have a leg to stand on, but I didn't, so you don't

3 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Will KT improve if he moves on? It’s a big if. 

Hes a class act as it is.

Definitely.

Just look at Robertson, he's come on leaps and bounds in such a short space of time.

43 minutes ago, runningtings said:

And to think you want Andy to play as a left wing back in your 3-5-2 formation...

Actually, I want him as an anchorman. 

Pay attention.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Tierney is very capable as a back up to robertson. He doesn’t need to move.

So, you don't want any of our players to play in an elite league?

Fair enough.

Personally, I want as many Scottish players as possible to be playing either in Italy, Spain, Portugal, England, Germany or France. But that's just me.

14 hours ago, Chripper said:

Who's having a dig at Tierney? 

Maybe you should re-read what I wrote.

"Age doesn't bring maturity." is a broad statement about human beings, in general. And it's a true statement. If age brought maturity and intelligence then the "elders" would be at the pinnacle of theology and science, etc.  Now, if I said that "Tierney doesn't mature with age" then you would certainly have a leg to stand on, but I didn't, so you don't

I wonder when Kieran Tierney will finally grow up and join a top league.”

Thats not a dig?

8 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I wonder when Kieran Tierney will finally grow up and join a top league.”

Thats not a dig?

Not really. It was a rhetorical question of when/if Kieran Tierney will decide to pit himself against prime football players.

If I phrased it like: "I don't think Kieran Tierney is capable of playing in a top league", or "I'm starting to doubt that Kieran Tierney is emotionally capable of going up against elite footballers on a weekly basis", those would be a dig.

18 hours ago, Chripper said:

A study by analysts the CIES Football Observatory places the former Queen’s Park and Dundee United defender third in a list of players from the English, French, German, Spanish and Italian top-flight leagues whose value has gone sky-high since the beginning of the season.

Robertson is now worth a reported £72.1 Million. 

I know that, in essence, this means very little, but at least we can say that we now have a player who is venturing into "world class" territory. I wonder when Kieran Tierney will finally grow up and join a top league.

Robertson has come on massively in the past few years - already played in a Champions League final. Tierney is younger; it would be nice to see him play in one of the top leagues, but if he can continue to grow at Celtic then I'm happy with that.

7 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Robertson has come on massively in the past few years - already played in a Champions League final. Tierney is younger; it would be nice to see him play in one of the top leagues, but if he can continue to grow at Celtic then I'm happy with that.

I think the only way Tierney is going to unlock his potential is by playing against top players, on a weekly basis. I think, as much as he loves Celtic, there's going to be a breaking point in his career when he decides that he's bored of playing against free transfers. Maybe not, though, look at Paul McStay.

I haven't really been here long, but I'm starting to think that generally this is a place for petty point scoring.

For example, I said: "I wonder when Kieran Tierney will finally grow up and join a top league", this was viewed as a dig at the kid. When in actual fact it was an obvious question of when in his career will he decide that he's bored of playing against English Championship standard players and want to play against the cream of the crop. 

I also said" "Age doesn't bring maturity", which is true, and was aimed at the human condition. Again, this was thought of as a dig at the lad.

Hell, there's still one person trying to score points off my preference towards three-at-the-back. :lol:

Yeah... not many points will ever be scored off me. God loves a trier, though. :)