French Protests - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Been watching the protests in France over the past couple of weeks. Got me wondering why the French react to tax rises etc the way they do and we (UK) just sit and accept 10 years of austerity without the scenes we see in Paris (not condoning the violence). Personally i think we have suffered more under this Tory government.

11 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Been watching the protests in France over the past couple of weeks. Got me wondering why the French react to tax rises etc the way they do and we (UK) just sit and accept 10 years of austerity without the scenes we see in Paris (not condoning the violence). Personally i think we have suffered more under this Tory government.

My first thought is that we did have protests, over fuel prices, in 2000, possibly the most serious unrest of this sort in the last 20 years, and they took care to avoid doing that again. 

Also, it depends who is doing the suffering. It's relatively easy for a few truck drivers to blockade some roads and cause chaos. Or for celebs to voice a fashionable cause, for that matter. Also, easier for students to organise collectively and protest with energy and perhaps less to lose. Compared to say, part time home workers, more isolated and dependent on their employers. And many of the most vulnerable who suffer under governments - the sick, the frail etc - are not in a position to take to the streets.   

7 minutes ago, exile said:

My first thought is that we did have protests, over fuel prices, in 2000, possibly the most serious unrest of this sort in the last 20 years, and they took care to avoid doing that again. 

Also, it depends who is doing the suffering. It's relatively easy for a few truck drivers to blockade some roads and cause chaos. Or for celebs to voice a fashionable cause, for that matter. Also, easier for students to organise collectively and protest with energy and perhaps less to lose. Compared to say, part time home workers, more isolated and dependent on their employers. And many of the most vulnerable who suffer under governments - the sick, the frail etc - are not in a position to take to the streets.   

Yes, understand what you are saying. I wonder if the Brexiteers will go down the French route if it doesn't happen the way they expected? Wouldn't surprise me if it got nasty.

10 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Yes, understand what you are saying. I wonder if the Brexiteers will go down the French route if it doesn't happen the way they expected? Wouldn't surprise me if it got nasty.

I'd say it already is nasty. People on the streets today with Nazi salutes and a hangman's gallows and noose for Theresa May for 'betraying' Brexit. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-betrayal-march-tommy-robinson-leads-supporters-including-man-carrying-noose-at-probrexit-a4012521.html

I wasn't going to mention it as part of Brexit debate because it's not about the merits of leave/remain, it's more about the organisations directly involved in the marching, who are if anything damaging UKIP and Brexit allies. 

Edited by exile

2 hours ago, exile said:

People on the streets today  

Sorry to return briefly to London but it seems there are claims and counter claims from both sides (march and anti march) as to what happened; both sides calling each other fascists and racists and accusing the other side of violence. Can't be certain of where and when the reported salutes took place.

Some claims the Brexit march was relatively small (and outnumbered by anti march protestors), drawing conclusion that the politicians' fears of potential threat of violence overstated (....to answer the original question). Overall, relatively low level disturbance and the level of arrest comparable to a football match...    

Back to France...

Edited by exile

What you are seeing France is the exact same thing that caused BREXIT. People are fucked off with the EU and the direction it has been taken. Britain is simmering while France has kicked off, God bless them, they still have some nuts. Brits are massively domesticated people (and none more than Scots now). I think they are probably shitting themselves that this spreads to the UK. Over 1,700 people arrested in France in the last day or two and over 1,200 remanded I read. That is a sign of how concerned they are. It seems to me this is being underreported by the BBC. Personally I would love to see people here go mental but I just don't think it will happen. I think the EU has some real problems ahead. I could see a currency break up of sorts happening and if that happens it could cascade. 

This is actually real nationalism you are seeing here and bizarrely the SNP are completely tone deaf to it and indeed marching in completely the opposite direction to it.

Edited by thplinth

4 minutes ago, thplinth said:

What you are seeing France is the exact same thing that caused BREXIT. People are fucked off with the EU and the direction it has been taken. Britain is simmering while France has kicked off, God bless them, they still have some nuts. Brits are massively domesticated people (and none more than Scots now). I think they are probably shitting themselves that this spreads to the UK. Over 1,700 people arrested in France in the last day or two and over 1,200 remanded I read. That is a sign of how concerned they are. It seems to me this is being underreported by the BBC. Personally I would love to see people here go mental but I just don't think it will happen. I think the EU has some real problems ahead. I could see a currency break up of sorts happening and if that happens it could cascade. 

This is actually real nationalism you are seeing here and bizarrely the SNP are completely tone deaf to it and indeed marching in completely the opposite direction to it.

The initial protests were nothing to do with the EU - it was a matter of French domestic policy. It's now turned into is a free-for-all - kind of like the riots in England a few years back, which ended up having nothing to do with the original premise. I think people's annoyance with the EU has nothing to do with what's happening in France.

It started off cause of a new taxation on fuel, however it was sort of the straw that broke the camels back with regards to how they view the "1%" establishment, government.

They're asking for a re-distribution of wealth.

It's absolutely a protest about the political elite.

I feel behooved to point out that everyone has shat the bed debating thplinth and the only agency they can seem to muster is to "like" posts that contradict him. It's perhaps the saddest shit ever.

2 hours ago, phart said:

It started off cause of a new taxation on fuel, however it was sort of the straw that broke the camels back with regards to how they view the "1%" establishment, government.

I feel behooved to point out that everyone has shat the bed debating thplinth and the only agency they can seem to muster is to "like" posts that contradict him. It's perhaps the saddest shit ever.

What debate? 

• 4 weeks later...

I like the French. They have not been totally domesticated like the Brits (and especially the megasubmissive Scots).

Check out this amusing footage. Cunt in the black jacket...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=9UAqF_1546705908

With music...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=C0A0c_1546706355

On 12/10/2018 at 8:04 PM, phart said:

And you two circle wanking each other at every turn isn't?