Vintage Radio Drama - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Vintage Radio Drama

Does anyone on here listen to old radio broadcasts on YouTube? Seems to be mainly American productions from the 1940s/50s but I'm in the habit now of listening before I fall asleep each night. I started off with Box 13 and Nightbeat because I remembered them being on Radio 5 when I was growing up. I have heard all those episodes though as there aren't that many of each show. Now onto Suspense which is a bit hit and miss - when it's good it's very good but a few of the episodes are disappointing.

So if anyone else has similar tastes any other broadcasts I should look up? 

Yes ! 

I have tried to listen to as many scary/creepy ones as i can but there are other good dramas too

Sherlock Holmes Versus Dracula is one of my favourites especially if you are au fait with Bram Stoker's novel 

There are lots of Sherlock Holmes - The Clive Merrison episodes are good 

Ghost Hunt is a fabulous episode from the Suspense radio shows - it's a found footage type of chiller

The House in Cypress Canyon is another classic frightener 

The House at World's End by Stephen Sheridan is a very good BBC scary Christmas story too

Radio 4 extra plays a lot of the classic comedy's like Yes Minister and Dad's Army 

It also had Dad's army spin offs such as It stick's out half a mile and Parsley Sidings 

I also listened to numerous episodes of My Friend Irma which was a 40s and 50s smash US radio show ..some were still quite funny 

Edited by Ally Bongo

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

Does anyone on here listen to old radio broadcasts on YouTube? Seems to be mainly American productions from the 1940s/50s but I'm in the habit now of listening before I fall asleep each night. I started off with Box 13 and Nightbeat because I remembered them being on Radio 5 when I was growing up. I have heard all those episodes though as there aren't that many of each show. Now onto Suspense which is a bit hit and miss - when it's good it's very good but a few of the episodes are disappointing.

So if anyone else has similar tastes any other broadcasts I should look up? 

Listen to old radio shoes at night.

It's been the old xfm stephen merchant ricky gervais and Karl pilkington lately.

I'm terrible with names will have to go back and look at what i listened to.

"The Black Museum" (originally aired 1951-1952) narrated by Orson Welles is great listening.

Case histories of the most infamous murders committed in the UK up to that point.

Every episode can be listened to for free here:

https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Black_Museum_Singles

The late John Mortimer also once presented an excellent series for BBC Radio some years ago where famous criminal trials were re-enacted, Radio 4 occasionally repeat the odd episode but it's hard to find at the moment. I'll see if I can find any links to it.

Edited by ErsatzThistle