Huawei - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

27 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Seem to be doing a fine job of rubbing the yanks up the wrong way. Also ' It's based in Shenzhen, Guangdong and is owned by 80,000 of its 180,000 employees.', they should make more of this in their advertising.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46465438

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46471904

Huawei products for me then.

That's what that is. There is one here in Ottawa. Big building. I drive by it in way to work everyday. 😁

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Great phones at half the cost of Iphones

Probably why they are going after them

Just got the P20 after years of Sony and it compares favourably. 

Also comes with considerably fewer bloatware products. 

And any Android phone is better than an iPhone,o other than for some very specific purposes. 

• 5 months later...

There’s an interesting article on the BBC today showing how several US companies who make components for the Chinese are being hit by the Government actions. It reminded me a lot of a book I read back in the 80s called ‘Vodka-Cola’ which showed the huge inter-dependence that the US & USSR economies had on each other. Part of the argument was that the economic relationship was an infinitely better deterrent against WW3 than any number of nuclear weapons. 

Edited by Huddersfield

Personally, I think this is the US trying to protect Apple. They can see this growing threat from Huawei to Apple and so have tried scuppering it. First by banning them from sale in the US and now forcing Google to cut their services to Huawei masquerading it as Huawei products being spyware for the Chinese government. Spyware is on every phone in one way or another not just Huawei.

Its amazing that the Americans are frightened of spying in phones..

Mind you its ok for the NSA to do it to their own citizens.. 

This move may mean the Chinese look to making their own internals and in the mists of time you will find the American micro processor market non existant. 

59 minutes ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

Its amazing that the Americans are frightened of spying in phones..

Mind you its ok for the NSA to do it to their own citizens.. 

This move may mean the Chinese look to making their own internals and in the mists of time you will find the American micro processor market non existant. 

Well the talk now is you may end up with a split in the mobile market where certain mobiles only work in certain countries. The US market and beyond sticking with Android powered devices using mainly US components but will not work properly in the Far East and Huawei and other Chinese companies producing their own innards which will only work on their networks and OS.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Personally, I think this is the US trying to protect Apple. They can see this growing threat from Huawei to Apple and so have tried scuppering it. First by banning them from sale in the US and now forcing Google to cut their services to Huawei masquerading it as Huawei products being spyware for the Chinese government. Spyware is on every phone in one way or another not just Huawei.

True - plus if the Chinese supply the smartphones then America / UK cant spy on their own citizens 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from all flak that US is getting here ; should check out the reprisals that Canada and couple of its citizens are facing ; in a barely disguised tit for tat row re the chief exec ( owners daughter i think ) being detained in vancouver with potential for extradition to US

Canada should also ban their phones in my view

17 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Aside from all flak that US is getting here ; should check out the reprisals that Canada and couple of its citizens are facing ; in a barely disguised tit for tat row re the chief exec ( owners daughter i think ) being detained in vancouver with potential for extradition to US

Canada should also ban their phones in my view

I'm sure that there are other countries that would be only too keen to have these jobs, " he company has been in operation in Canada since 2008, and currently employs about 960 people in this country – about 600 in research and development." Alternatively maybe your government could grow a set and tell the yanks to GTF.

49 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

I'm sure that there are other countries that would be only too keen to have these jobs, " he company has been in operation in Canada since 2008, and currently employs about 960 people in this country – about 600 in research and development." Alternatively maybe your government could grow a set and tell the yanks to GTF.

Yeah for sure the PM needs to grow a set ( in all areas ) but extradition treaty would trump all that

ask the canola farmers what they think of the 960 jobs in Canada , and family of 2 businessmen in China locked up for “spying” straight after initial incident

i know this doesnt fit in with anti US / establishment / the west rhetoric though

20 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Yeah for sure the PM needs to grow a set ( in all areas ) but extradition treaty would trump all that

ask the canola farmers what they think of the 960 jobs in Canada , and family of 2 businessmen in China locked up for “spying” straight after initial incident

i know this doesnt fit in with anti US / establishment / the west rhetoric though

I'm guessing arresting high up executives at the behest of the USA doesn't encourage a good trading relationship, or spying under the cover of some charity organisation. Don't wait on your government banning Huawei, just stop buying and using Chinese made goods now. I'll PM you my address so you can send me your handwritten reply by regular mail.

Edited by Eisegerwind

6 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

I'm guessing arresting high up executives at the behest of the USA doesn't encourage a good trading relationship, or spying under the cover of some charity organisation. Don't wait on your government banning Huawei, just stop buying and using Chinese made goods now. I'll PM you my address so you can send me your handwritten reply by regular mail.

Are you suggesting the 2 Canadians were spying then 

8 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

I've no idea whether they were spying or not and I'm not suggesting they were, it's the Chinese government that's suggesting they were.

You were guessing they were though ?per your previous post

i was just trying to understand where you got the info on the cover of a charity organization 

3 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

You were guessing they were though ?per your previous post

i was just trying to understand where you got the info on the cover of a charity organization 

No, the 'guess' was that the two incidents I mentioned would sour trading relations. These are the ones that were working for Crisis Group, think is registered s a charitable entity, yes?  Oh, and Meng Wanzhou also has a family, pretty sure they'd not like to see their mother/sister/daughter/wife Guantanamo Bay bound.

2 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

No, the 'guess' was that the two incidents I mentioned would sour trading relations. These are the ones that were working for Crisis Group, think is registered s a charitable entity, yes?  Oh, and Meng Wanzhou also has a family, pretty sure they'd not like to see their mother/sister/daughter/wife Guantanamo Bay bound.

Shes out on bail with a fashionable ankle bracelet ; water boarding is a bit of a leap

1 minute ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Well shes got it way better than the 2 Canadians in a Chinese jail for several months on vague charges 

the timing alone of the arrest of those 2 is laughable 

Any more vague than the charges against Meng Wanzhou? So you're sure that Guantanamo Bay and water boarding are not on the agenda? Lets just say the Chinese authorities had those 2 under surveillence for a while but were just keeping an eye on them, then the Canadian government do the dirty work for the USA so the Chinese  start playing hardball.

7 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Any more vague than the charges against Meng Wanzhou? So you're sure that Guantanamo Bay and water boarding are not on the agenda? Lets just say the Chinese authorities had those 2 under surveillence for a while but were just keeping an eye on them, then the Canadian government do the dirty work for the USA so the Chinese  start playing hardball.

Canadians spying in Canada ; to what end?