Weather - Ball Freezingly Cold - Kazakhstan v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Weather - Ball Freezingly Cold

Brummie Hibs

2 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Just looked up the weather averages for March in Astana - bloody hell!

Average temp -7°C

High -2°C

Low -12°C

It looks as if the ground has a roof, which should keep thing fairly warm inside the stadium, so hopefully there's no risk of the game being postponed.

How cold was it in Norway when it was snowing a few years back? Might be quite comparable to that.

3 hours ago, saintsparky said:

Just read on Wiki that Astana is second coldest capital city in the world. River is frozen over from Dec to Apr...

Looks like it's a long sleeve t-shirt for the game.

Anyone up for some Ice Hockey? 🏒🥅

32 minutes ago, Padre Andrew said:

Son was working in Kazakhstan a few months ago. Reckoned although  it's low temperatures it's such a dry cold it doesn't feel so bad.

Anyone know for sure?

That sounds plausible, I know that dry heat is usually more tolerable than humid heat. I'm assuming that having less water vapour in the air will make it feel warmer, in the same way that air at 30°C feels warmer than 30°C water. I could be completely wrong though.

36 minutes ago, Padre Andrew said:

Son was working in Kazakhstan a few months ago. Reckoned although  it's low temperatures it's such a dry cold it doesn't feel so bad.

Anyone know for sure?

Freeze-drying should mean you come home looking as fresh as when you leave :chillpill:

6 hours ago, saintsparky said:

Just read on Wiki that Astana is second coldest capital city in the world. River is frozen over from Dec to Apr...

Looks like it's a long sleeve t-shirt for the game.

So, it’s just Chicago then?

Can I just advise anybody to lamp the lipstick on their mooth before they come? I learned the hard way where I live. We think Scotland is cold and we are just being daft. We have a wet Winter in Scotland. A dry Winter is as cold as fuck and has been something I have been stupidly trying to tell cunts where I live is no worries. 😂

On 12/6/2018 at 9:21 PM, Padre Andrew said:

Anyone know for sure?

I have been in Ukraine when it’s been -18C and it’s actually been rather pleasant (felt worse here when it’s been +2C and chill cuts you to the bone), but as Astana is at the foot of the Steppe Mountains, there will be a wind that will make you feel the cold

On 12/7/2018 at 2:21 AM, Padre Andrew said:

Anyone know for sure?

I've spent the last 3 winters in Kazakhstan, it's definitely a different type of cold than back home, its very dry indeed, -26 is the lowest I've seen the temperature drop to although I remember that day they said with the wind chill it felt like -36..... crazy

I've got a Kazakh girlfriend, she finds +6 degrees on a lovely November's day in Scotland colder than -15 in Kazakhstan!😂

Everyone will be fine in March in Astana 😁😁😁👍👍

15 minutes ago, SY Cove said:

I've spent the last 3 winters in Kazakhstan, it's definitely a different type of cold than back home, its very dry indeed, -26 is the lowest I've seen the temperature drop to although I remember that day they said with the wind chill it felt like -36..... crazy

I've got a Kazakh girlfriend, she finds +6 degrees on a lovely November's day in Scotland colder than -15 in Kazakhstan!😂

Everyone will be fine in March in Astana 😁😁😁👍👍

Astana 😮 I’ve booked flights to Almaty 🙄

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 2:53 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

The weathers warming up now judging by the iPhone app

Its only -4/5 during the day so should be above 0 by the time we head over, still ranging from -6 to -13 at nights but give it another 3 weeks it should be copeable

Doddle. Everyone goes on about the wind chill factor making it worse, but who cares when you've got the old trusty beer jacket factor on your side? 

Minus -11 at the moment, according to the Astana Times website.

I arrive next Friday and it is predicted to be -11, -12 and -13 next FRI, SAT and SUN nights.

I was in Serbia (in tbe snow) but where has been the coldest away match? That Norway friendly, I imagine; Moose, was it?.

Bit worried about the baws