Hotels in Astana - Kazakhstan v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hotels in Astana

saintsparky

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Booked Grand Park Esil, with all the reviews on Tripadvisor mentioning its great location.

Not bad price as well.

There seem to be two areas , where your hotel is and the area just  south west of the river , it's a sprawling big city might need a few taxis for this one

10 minutes ago, tattiescone69 said:

There seem to be two areas , where your hotel is and the area just  south west of the river , it's a sprawling big city might need a few taxis for this one

Sounds like your typical Soviet provincial city.... sprawling as far as the eye can see, with probably two or three area's that are considered lively, but not considered the city centers (reading it reminds me of Minsk in a way).

My hotel seems to be what is in "old" Astana, but seems to be a pattern with a lot of bars and restaurants in a area just south of this area.

Astana only adopted as capital a couple of decades ago, for reasons of regional politics I understand. Most of it is modern but very spread out.

You will need taxis to get about but get your hotel to organise if you value things like seatbelts

I was there for work recently and stayed in the Radisson on the river bank. High standard, low price. Things very cheap out there as average wages are low.

Be prepared for the cold, the wind off the Steppe cuts through.

Finally, people are really friendly, you can try lots of local stuff such as fermented horse or camel milk.

On 12/5/2018 at 9:19 PM, GLOSTA said:

Finally, people are really friendly, you can try lots of local stuff such as fermented horse or camel milk.

What about the polis? Reading a few things online that they are corrupt and it’s been known that they’ve used threatening tourists with the clink as a way to extort money from them

Edited by DoonTheSlope

Cheers Glosta. Booked us in at the Radisson - working out about £40 each per night in a twin - after spending £££ on flights thought an extra few £ on hotel OK. Sounds a good hotel for that price - do you need taxis from there to the nightlife ?

Also cheers on the temperature tip. Checked the average in March - negative 2 degrees, That's the average high ! negative 16 average low ! Wowwwww !!!! Steppes colder than Stepps !!!!  

Polis: Apart from the airport I don't recall seeing many, but I was indoors a lot and got shuttled place to place. Lots of them at airport. 

Nightlife: I was taken to organised events, but certainly bars and eateries nearby. Not quite set up like western Europe that I saw as pretty spread out and I would think cabs to get to everything.

one thing that struck me was forms for everything and everyone who could possibly be given a form needed to be given one to get anything from a  drink, a meal, a towel for the gym etc.