How to get to San Marino - Page 3 - San Marino v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How to get to San Marino

5 hours ago, KirstyO said:

Sorry to butt in! Hopefully someone can help... Flying Edinburgh-Milan, getting in to Milan at 09.45 on Saturday and flying out of Milan at 14.45 on Monday afternoon. Would I be best getting to Rimini by train? Also, can someone point point me in the direction of where most folk will be gathering over the weekend? Female solo-traveller here, who will need some tartan army company!😅

Kirsty quite a few getting the train back up to Milan early Monday morning for that flight I believe. Most folks staying in Rimini I guess as 1800 are on the buses. I booked my train on www.rome2rio.com

3 hours ago, DavyP said:

Kirsty quite a few getting the train back up to Milan early Monday morning for that flight I believe. Most folks staying in Rimini I guess as 1800 are on the buses. I booked my train on www.rome2rio.com

Brilliant, thanks Davy.

They could make a fly on the documentary about the fans going from Astana to Rimini detailing the trials and tribulations that surrounds following Scotland after yet another Tbilisiesque debacle trying to battle their way through 5 time zones to just to catch the San Marino game and call it 31 hour party people

Edited by DoonTheSlope

17 hours ago, KirstyO said:

Sorry to butt in! Hopefully someone can help... Flying Edinburgh-Milan, getting in to Milan at 09.45 on Saturday and flying out of Milan at 14.45 on Monday afternoon. Would I be best getting to Rimini by train? Also, can someone point point me in the direction of where most folk will be gathering over the weekend? Female solo-traveller here, who will need some tartan army company!😅

We’re on that flight back to Edinburgh too, staying in Rimini Sunday night and 06.15 train to Milan via Bologna to catch the flight, booked train tickets from Milan - Rimini and back on Trenitalia website

Anyone just turning up at Bologna train station and jumping on a train to Rimini. Don’t fancy the 2.5 hour train but the 1hr 30 seems alright.

Holding off booking bacause I have no idea the transfer from Bologna airport to Train Station and don’t trust thenplane to be on time.

Is there a substantial saving to be made? I can definately pick a return train, but am nervous about booking the outward train.

J

2 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Anyone just turning up at Bologna train station and jumping on a train to Rimini. Don’t fancy the 2.5 hour train but the 1hr 30 seems alright.

Holding off booking bacause I have no idea the transfer from Bologna airport to Train Station and don’t trust thenplane to be on time.

Is there a substantial saving to be made? I can definately pick a return train, but am nervous about booking the outward train.

J

Got the same plan as you BH.   Booked the return trains as we have a plane to catch, but not Bologna to Rimini for same reason as yourself.

Bus transfers between the airport and Bologna station seem to be by these folks and are frequent...

https://aerobus.bo.it/en

You can buy their tickets on line, but no longer see the point as you still need to go to a machine when you get there if I understood correctly.

4 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

They could make a fly on the documentary about the fans going from Astana to Rimini detailing the trials and tribulations that surrounds following Scotland after yet another Tbilisiesque debacle trying to battle their way through 5 time zones to just to catch the San Marino game and call it 31 hour party people

They could make a 10 minute show featuring you and it'd feel like it lasted 31 hours. 

4 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

J

I've booked the bus from the airport to Rimini. It's 17 euros and takes 90 mins. Saves any hassle getting from the airport to the train station and shouldn't take any longer, although i think there's only one bus every 2 hours or so. 

6 hours ago, bisland boy said:

We’re on that flight back to Edinburgh too, staying in Rimini Sunday night and 06.15 train to Milan via Bologna to catch the flight, booked train tickets from Milan - Rimini and back on Trenitalia website

That’s the one I’ve been looking at. Thanks!

13 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

J

Airport to train station is about 15 mins max in a taxi, not much more in a bus. May be a queue for taxi's depending on how many arrivals at same time. If there are 4 of you get a taxi as its cheaper than 4x bus fares.

The regional train prices won't increase, will be €9.85 on the day, take 90 mins or thereabouts. Not seen any trains taking 2.5 hours. Anything that's Inter City or Freccia.... could increase in price. Some of these save you 30 mins on the journey, some save you 15 mins. 

1 hour ago, BinosWest said:

Getting into Milan Malpensa around 11pm on Thursday on a flight from Edinburgh. Anyone know how best to get to the city centre at this time? Saw there are buses/trains but unsure if they run that late at night?

The Malpensa Express has trains to Centrale at 20 past midnight and also to Cadorna station at 23.50 and 20 past midnight. There is a last service at 1.21am but think thats a bus into the city. 

24 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

The Malpensa Express has trains to Centrale at 20 past midnight and also to Cadorna station at 23.50 and 20 past midnight. There is a last service at 1.21am but think thats a bus into the city. 

Should be able to make the 20 past midnight train then. Staying not too far from Centrale so that would be perfect. Any idea if we'd have to book that train or could we just wonder up?

21 minutes ago, BinosWest said:

Should be able to make the 20 past midnight train then. Staying not too far from Centrale so that would be perfect. Any idea if we'd have to book that train or could we just wonder up?

You can book if you want via somewhere like Trainline but won't be any cheaper than buying when you get there. €13 one way.

20 hours ago, BinosWest said:

Getting into Milan Malpensa around 11pm on Thursday on a flight from Edinburgh. Anyone know how best to get to the city centre at this time? Saw there are buses/trains but unsure if they run that late at night?

There will be a train and/or coach service that will take you into the center of Milan. Easy to do and buy from ticket office there

16 hours ago, Mitre said:

Bologna train station was a bit dodgy when I was last there for San Marino in 2000. Loads of smack heads about so be on guard.

Stayed in Bologna twice last year over 2 weekends including just across the road from station one time. Station is nothing like that nowadays. Its one of the quieter stations at night time that I have seen in Italy. During the day its busy but absolutely no safety issues at all.

Bus transfer from Bologna Airport to Rimini station is good, direct service, but buses not huge, only 32 seaters so advisable to book. Takes 1 and a half hours. Only stops once on way, 1st stop in Rimini is at the hospital, then the station. We'd booked the 4pm bus on Wednesday but just made the 2pm, and as he had room, he let us on. Cost 70 euros return, back on Tuesday. https://www.shuttleriminibologna.it/en/

Edited by Scotty3000
Added link to website for bus transfer

I'm doing:

Copenhagen (14:30) -> Frankfurt (17:10) -> Bologna (18:25) -> Stazione Centrale (~20:13 - Train) -> Rimini (21:50) -> San Marino (Not sure, Maybe by taxi?)

If anyone is on any of those legs, feel free to let me know :)

First time at a proper away game (outside the UK) and first time I'm just on my own :)