No Confidence Vote? - Politics - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

No Confidence Vote?

Clyde1998

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46416591

Labour are suggesting that they'll call a no confidence vote in the Government if the Brexit deal vote is lost by the Government.

"Under the Fixed Term Parliaments Act, if the government loses a vote on a motion of no confidence it has 14 days to pass a second confidence motion, or Parliament is dissolved and a general election is called."

I reckon this could backfire and swing MPs behind the Government deal.

Looks like the media are doing their best to push May's deal through with guff like this

The Tories are still ahead in the polls suggesting Labour are unelectable

Their only hope would be a split parliament and for them to have a confidence and supply with the SNP to get them into power

We have seen how the suggestion of that affects the English electorate

If i am a Tory Brexiteer i'd be confident of retaining power after a new General Election with a new leader because there is no way the Tories will go into a GE without one

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Looks like the media are doing their best to push May's deal through with guff like this

The Tories are still ahead in the polls suggesting Labour are unelectable

Their only hope would be a split parliament and for them to have a confidence and supply with the SNP to get them into power

We have seen how the suggestion of that affects the English electorate

If i am a Tory Brexiteer i'd be confident of retaining power after a new General Election with a new leader because there is no way the Tories will go into a GE without one

I see McDonnell has ruled out any pact - he seems confident of winning election outright, though as you say, polls still show Tories ahead. 

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-scotland/labour-rules-out-any-deal-on-new-scottish-independence-vote-the-times-idUKKCN1O038E

3 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46416591

Labour are suggesting that they'll call a no confidence vote in the Government if the Brexit deal vote is lost by the Government.

"Under the Fixed Term Parliaments Act, if the government loses a vote on a motion of no confidence it has 14 days to pass a second confidence motion, or Parliament is dissolved and a general election is called."

I reckon this could backfire and swing MPs behind the Government deal.

That very well could be what Labour are secretly hoping for. Would you want to run the country in this shit storm? 

This announcement makes them look like they unhappy and are trying to do something, then allows them to blame the Tories for the mess that ensues.   

A new PM highly likely.

A GE highly unlikely.

A Scottish PM? Possible! A certain Mr G definitely wants the job...

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

They don't want an election.

:lol:

So....

Will the 100 Tories who had no confidence in her last week, suddenly find confidence in her?

Will the DUP who had no confidence in her or her deal last week, suddenly find confidence in her?

And what about the Ross Thomsons, who see fishy threats and blood red lines in the Irish sea?

Edited by exile

12 minutes ago, exile said:

:lol:

So....

Will the 100 Tories who had no confidence in her last week, suddenly find confidence in her?

Will the DUP who had no confidence in her or her deal last week, suddenly find confidence in her?

And what about the Ross Thomsons, who see fishy threats and blood red lines in the Irish sea?

My point being that if they wanted a general election, they'd go ahead with a confidence vote in the Government, which is binding, rather than the Prime Minister, which is non-binding. It'll be interesting to see what those Tory MPs do though, as this is a public vote and would be more of a statement than a private vote against her.

Edited by Clyde1998

2 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

My point being that if they wanted a general election, they'd go ahead with a confidence vote in the Government, which is binding, rather than the Prime Minister, which is non-binding. It'll be interesting to see what those Tory MPs do though, as this is a public vote and would be more of a statement than a private vote against her.

Yes I get that. I was laughing because for weeks if not months, their favoured solution to everything is to have an election. So the idea that they might not want one would be just another crazy twist... 

5 minutes ago, jailender said:

Apparently, due to the fixed term government law which was passed before this Parliament, it would require a 2/3 majority to put into motion dissolving Parliament, and causing a GE.

That's true, but a simple majority is all that's required in a confidence vote to bring down a government and if no alternative government can be formed in 14 days, a general election is automatically triggered. So you can get an election without the 2/3rds majority.

17 hours ago, exile said:

Can't remember where I read it but I read somewhere that when it comes to a confidence vote, Tory party rules state that any Tory MP who votes against the government, or even abstians without permission will automatically have the whip withdrawn, which in turn means that they will not be allowed to stand as a Tory candidate at the next election. Not sure if this is absolutely correct though?

When it comes to matters of personal finance, many MP's principles can be severely tested.

I'm hoping this one isn't a secret ballot?

Edited by Orraloon