eBay question - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

eBay question

OK. Here's the situation.

I've been on eBay since 2005. I have 600+ feedback points, and I think I'm on 98% for the calendar year.

I just received an email from eBay telling me that I'm now allowed to sell anymore. They're still allowing me to buy... so big of them. By these measures you'd think I would have 100 negative feedback points, but no, I have ONE negative feedback point. And that was because Hermes failed to deliver on the day that we agreed.

If I change my details on my account and the close my account, would I be able to sneak under the radar and open up a new account without the a-holes finding out that it's me?

Seems like a lot of people are in the same boat.

It would appear that eBay are putting the squeeze on people who sell on eBay, they're pretty much telling people to sell more or you'll be banned from selling.

Dicks.

Does anyone know of any good eBay alternatives, if the worst comes to the worst?

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

Although commonly used, it isn't correct.

'Worse comes to worst' shows progression, while your version would be a non-sensical impossibility.

Wow, thanks very much for your insight. Thank you.

I'll do that. 

What's the worst that could happen, right? :)

4 hours ago, Chripper said:

Seems like a lot of people are in the same boat.

It would appear that eBay are putting the squeeze on people who sell on eBay, they're pretty much telling people to sell more or you'll be banned from selling.

Dicks.

Does anyone know of any good eBay alternatives, if the worst comes to the worst?

Surely that will reduce the number of people using the site and would almost certainly reduce the amount of second hand items avaliable for sale - which can be quite useful in certain situations.

19 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Surely that will reduce the number of people using the site and would almost certainly reduce the amount of second hand items avaliable for sale - which can be quite useful in certain situations.

Their thinking is probably to make the selling process a lot more streamlined. The increase of people selling items will off-set and eventually overtake the amount of people who get banned from eBay.

It's cynical on their parts by basically culling off the casual seller.

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Ive never had an email to say that and I’ve sold 1 golf club head cover in about 10 years. 

Maybe that's the thing, though, the more you sell the more you're judged.

eBay introduced a standard dashboard a while back, if you fall below it then you're in jeopardy of being sanctioned.

I've got one negative feedback in the past 12 months and now I'm banned from selling. It's insane.

I hardly ever use eBay nowadays. It long-since seems to have stopped being what it was & almost anything I'm looking for the first however many hits are all in China with several weeks delivery or other big sellers...based on what folk are saying, that probably means they are prioritising big sellers in listings.

Gumtree works a lot better for me.

I find Gumtree useful, but the utter morons you seem to encounter are beyond belief.

Gumtree moron: “is the item still for sale”

me: “yes, are you interested”

Gumtree moron: ...............

Are they just checking it’s still for sale?

Or

For sale, bed frame

MATRESS NOT INCLUDED

Gumtree moron: “does it come with the matress?”

Or folk who make derisory offers and then start asking for you to deliver to them etc.

At least eBay has some rules and the users generally have manners.

19 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I hardly ever use eBay nowadays. It long-since seems to have stopped being what it was & almost anything I'm looking for the first however many hits are all in China with several weeks delivery or other big sellers...based on what folk are saying, that probably means they are prioritising big sellers in listings.

Gumtree works a lot better for me.

Thanks for that. I've never used Gumtree as it always seemed to be a wee bit more rogue and unstructured than eBay.

But I'll give it a look. :)

But yes, I think eBay are trying to emulate Amazon in that way and make it a lot more professional. Which means the casual seller will get booted for the seller who sells 1,000 items on a weekly basis.

14 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I find Gumtree useful, but the utter morons you seem to encounter are beyond belief.

Or

For sale, bed frame

MATRESS NOT INCLUDED

Or folk who make derisory offers and then start asking for you to deliver to them etc.

:lol: 

17 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Or

For sale, bed frame

MATRESS NOT INCLUDED

I never did get that mattress!