It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia...

Is anyone else a fan of It's always sunny?

I'm surprised that there isn't already a thread dedicated to this brilliant and hilarious show. It's funny, people have been waiting for so long for a sitcom to take Seinfeld's crown, but it just so happens that it's been here since 2005.

Season 13 isn't that good, though, probably because the cast are all doing movies and they have other projects, so they did season 13 half-heartedly.

If you like Seinfeld and Curb then you will definitely love It's always sunny. People have said that it's like "Seinfeld on Crack", so that's the biggest endorsement you can receive.

It's always sunny in Philadelphia - The best bits

27 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

American comedy series are not funny - FACT!

Anybody who finds The Big Bang Theory funny needs a boot in the baws!

I'd respectfully disagree.  While it's everyone's cup of tea, Friends has some of the best sitcom writing ever.  Throw in shows like Seinfeld, Frasier, Cheers, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Everybody Loves Raymond and there's plenty of well written, funny comedy shows from across the pond.  Certainly better than a lot of the homegrown pish we have here in recent years like Mrs Brown, Citizen Khan, Miranda, Scot Squad and Mountain Goats to name a few!

35 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

They are vastly different shows.

Its always sunny is brilliant, agreed season 13 wasn’t very good and it’s probably time to quit. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Any time I've ever seen it I've always enjoyed it.  Problem is it's not shown in the UK or when it is, it's at some stupid time on some stupid channel way down the EPG.

Have you got access to the "Vice" channel? They show four episodes back-to-back on Friday's at 9. 

I first got into the show in March and I immediately got hooked. Managed to get seasons 1-8 for a tenner.

2 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

That's a broad statement. Seinfeld, Curb your Enthusiasm, It's always sunny, Cheers, Frasier, etc, were all great shows. It's funny how people say that they don't like US sitcoms, without knowing that the people who write US sitcoms are usually the ones that go on to write the movies that they love.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I'd respectfully disagree.  While it's everyone's cup of tea, Friends has some of the best sitcom writing ever.  Throw in shows like Seinfeld, Frasier, Cheers, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Everybody Loves Raymond and there's plenty of well written, funny comedy shows from across the pond.  Certainly better than a lot of the homegrown pish we have here in recent years like Mrs Brown, Citizen Khan, Miranda, Scot Squad and Mountain Goats to name a few!

Spot on. I can't remember the last great UK sitcom. Probably Red Dwarf/Only Fools, and that was a long time ago.

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

They are vastly different shows.

Its always sunny is brilliant, agreed season 13 wasn’t very good and it’s probably time to quit. 

It's just a shame that it's not on a well known UK channel. It doesn't receive the attention that it deserves.

"The guy tries desperately hard to win an award" sums up its universal unrecognized state. Why it hasn't on multiple Emmys just shows to underline that only banal and bland sitcoms win big. Hell, the one award that It's always sunny did win they weren't even invited to the ceremony.

Season 13 was a strange one. They brought in different writers and the actors just didn't seem to be that enthused to be there. It was one big steaming mess. They're signed up for one more season... I'm not looking forward to it.

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Friends? Are you fucking kidding? I’d rather suck off each of the Union Bears than watch that shite. 

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Friends? Are you fucking kidding? I’d rather suck off each of the Union Bears than watch that shite. 

Have you watched it lately? To say that it's aged is being kind.

The others that I've mentioned haven't aged a bit, even Cheers.

Trust me, if you can't stand Friends type sitcoms then you must watch It's Always Sunny as it's as anti-Friends as you could ever see. 

Watching 5 narcissistic sociopaths is a lot funnier than watching 6 do-gooders.  

25 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

If you think Friends and it’s like was shite wait until the next generation sitcoms, friends now is probably transphobic, homophobic, full of fat shaming and should come with trigger warnings. 

I actually watched a fair bit of it recently during a bit of lull when nothing was on. Aprt from the vast majority of it being utterly atrocious, the amount of gay jokes is quite remarkable.

6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond? Come on you.

6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

You have to wonder what utter dross was rejected if these lot got commissioned.

Dishonourable mention goes to "Not going out", too. A sitcom where every other line is a set-up followed by a punch line. It's insurable. If I watch an entire episode I'm liable to kill anyone who comes within 50 yards of me.

Edited by Chripper

3 minutes ago, Chripper said:

You have to wonder what utter dross was rejected if these lot got commissioned.

Dishonourable mention goes to "Not going out", too. A sitcom where every other line is a set-up followed by a punch line. It's insurable. If I watch an entire episode I'm liable to kill anyone who comes within 50 yards of me.

Some of the worst TV programmes that ever been shown on any channel in any country since the dawn of time. Scot Squad and Mountain Goat in particular are so bad, TV for complete fucking idiots.

There have been a few decent ones recently in the shape of This Country and People Just Do Nothing. The first three series of People Just Do Nothing are sublime.

4 hours ago, Chripper said:

It's just a shame that it's not on a well known UK channel. It doesn't receive the attention that it deserves.

"The guy tries desperately hard to win an award" sums up its universal unrecognized state. Why it hasn't on multiple Emmys just shows to underline that only banal and bland sitcoms win big. Hell, the one award that It's always sunny did win they weren't even invited to the ceremony.

Season 13 was a strange one. They brought in different writers and the actors just didn't seem to be that enthused to be there. It was one big steaming mess. They're signed up for one more season... I'm not looking forward to it.

The award / bar episode was them at their best. Apparently the “one black guy” in the bar was a homage to the wire, another show ignored by the awards. 

1 hour ago, Mox said:

Some of the worst TV programmes that ever been shown on any channel in any country since the dawn of time. Scot Squad and Mountain Goat in particular are so bad, TV for complete fucking idiots.

There have been a few decent ones recently in the shape of This Country and People Just Do Nothing. The first three series of People Just Do Nothing are sublime.

People knock US sitcoms but at least they have a formula that works occasionally. The days of Red Dwarf (when It had both creators on board), Steptoe and Son, Only fools, Blackadder, etc, are long gone.

People should also check out "Siblings", it was on BBC Three. It took a lot from It's always sunny, even the music. Think of and English Dee and Dennis and you have "Siblings".

31 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The award / bar episode was them at their best. Apparently the “one black guy” in the bar was a homage to the wire, another show ignored by the awards. 

The blaring colours, the popular music, the happy people living happy lives being all happy with everything, and then there's the cute waitress and the nice guy bartender who "will-they, won't-they" :lol:

On 11/27/2018 at 5:22 PM, Chripper said:

Spot on. I can't remember the last great UK sitcom. Probably Red Dwarf/Only Fools, and that was a long time ago.

One of my favourite British sitcoms was Set of Six with Rowland Rivron. He plays sextuplets, each strange in their own way. It is absolutely genius. The supergrass and tramp episodes (Kathy Burke plays his drunk girlfriend in the latter) are outstanding TV. Virtually nobody watched it, but on YouTube if you get a chance. 

Cant say I found the ‘ best bits’ link funny so probably not for me, but might need to watch them within the context the full episodes right enough to appreciate it. 

I love Cheers, Blackadder, Frasier etc, would even go as far as to say Frasier was my favourite sitcom of all time. However I also find large parts of Scot Squad funny and the earlier series of  Not Going  Out, though predictable , often makes me snigger. 

Not sure if this combination makes me an elitist viewer or a fucking idiot . IMO to call someone a fucking idiot for liking a particular TV show makes them the fucking idiot. 

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, Stapes said:

One of my favourite British sitcoms was Set of Six with Rowland Rivron. He plays sextuplets, each strange in their own way. It is absolutely genius. The supergrass and tramp episodes (Kathy Burke plays his drunk girlfriend in the latter) are outstanding TV. Virtually nobody watched it, but on YouTube if you get a chance. 

Never seen it. Not sure if I like the cast, though.

21 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Cant say I found the ‘ best bits’ link funny so probably not for me, but might need to watch them within the context the full episodes right enough to appreciate it. 

I love Cheers, Blackadder, Frasier etc, would even go as far as to say Frasier was my favourite sitcom of all time. However I also find large parts of Scot Squad funny and the earlier series of  Not Going  Out, though predictable , often makes me snigger. 

Not sure if this combination makes me an elitist viewer or a fucking idiot . IMO to call someone a fucking idiot for liking a particular TV show makes them the fucking idiot. 

Yeah, I think you would have to watch an entire episode to really get it. Generally, it's about 5 unlikeable and narssistic people who are pretty much living in their own world, and that's exactly what their bar is. 

Cheers, Blackadder and Frasier were class, still are, actually.

Nah. Not an idiot. People like what they like.

42 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Never seen it. Not sure if I like the cast, though.

Yeah, I think you would have to watch an entire episode to really get it. Generally, it's about 5 unlikeable and narssistic people who are pretty much living in their own world, and that's exactly what their bar is. 

Cheers, Blackadder and Frasier were class, still are, actually.

Nah. Not an idiot. People like what they like.

👍 

Will give it a try when I have waded through Game of Thrones.  

19 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

👍

Will give it a try when I have waded through Game of Thrones.  

Good stuff.

It's always sunny isn't particularly archy, so you can start watching it from any episode of any season. You might want to watch it from the start, though.

• 1 month later...