An optimistic article about the future the Scotland team - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

An optimistic article about the future the Scotland team

mrniaboc

I found this blog post quite interesting and optimistic. The point about the players now being of an age where they have never experienced witnessing a successful Scotland side is fascinating. Maybe that does make them less burdened? https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/11/20/how-a-generation-raised-on-failure-can-drive-scottish-football-forward-again/

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Amazing what a couple of victories against Israel and Albania can do for confidence. We need to settle down and remember we have seen false dawn's before. If we can continue with good results in the qualifying campaign then we can maybe start to talk about progress being made. 

I think the nice thing I liked about it is that you don't really know what a false dawn is if you've never seen the Sun. I'm not getting over-excited just because we beat a couple of weak teams. I'm always excited when a crop of new players are coming through. I understand that most of them won't fulfill the massive potential we all wish they would, but the interesting thing for me is that they may not feel that weight of expectation like the rest who have come through in the last 20 years, because these ones never experienced the highs.

18 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Amazing what a couple of victories against Israel and Albania can do for confidence. We need to settle down and remember we have seen false dawn's before. If we can continue with good results in the qualifying campaign then we can maybe start to talk about progress being made. 

I certainly agree that we shouldn’t get carried away but I think people have the right to be optimistic based on the fact that we are as close as we’ve been to qualifying for a major tournament since 2003 (did we really have a chance against the Netherlands?).

If we can qualify for Euro 2020 (preferably next year but via the playoffs would do) and give a good account of ourselves it would go a long way to erasing the painful memories of the last 20 years and hopefully kickstart a renaissance which might see us at a World Cup again. 

Qualifying for 2020 would give the whole country a boost and would hopefully give the players the confidence that they can compete at this level and beat teams a bit better than Albania and Israel. 

For me the exciting thing is that we scored some good goals from good moves, by mainly younger pacey players, not just grinding out draws or narrow wins over your Lithuanias or Liechtensteins. And as said before, we seem to have more than one exciting creative player at a time. 

That doesn't mean we're suddenly world-beaters but at least it gives hope and makes going to games more enjoyable. 

If we had to drop a level (in a sense) to start in League C, in order to get some results and momentum back, so be it. The alternative would have been to have scraped into League B as one of the weaker teams and promptly get relegated, doing no-one's confidence any good.

2 minutes ago, exile said:

For me the exciting thing is that we scored some good goals from good moves, by mainly younger pacey players, not just grinding out draws or narrow wins over your Lithuanias or Liechtensteins. And as said before, we seem to have more than one exciting creative player at a time. 

That doesn't mean we're suddenly world-beaters but at least it gives hope and makes going to games more enjoyable. 

If we had to drop a level (in a sense) to start in League C, in order to get some results and momentum back, so be it. The alternative would have been to have scraped into League B as one of the weaker teams and promptly get relegated, doing no-one's confidence any good.

We’ve got pace throughout the team. It should mean we have a chance of winning games without needing to have long sequences of inch perfect passes to score a goal. We have quick enough centre halves to hold a higher line, meaning our players aren’t always miles apart. Our quick attackers mean the opposition has to think twice about overloading their players on attacks. Pace and technique changes the whole outlook for us. 

19 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

I think the nice thing I liked about it is that you don't really know what a false dawn is if you've never seen the Sun. I'm not getting over-excited just because we beat a couple of weak teams. I'm always excited when a crop of new players are coming through. I understand that most of them won't fulfill the massive potential we all wish they would, but the interesting thing for me is that they may not feel that weight of expectation like the rest who have come through in the last 20 years, because these ones never experienced the highs.

Good quote.

I don't see any positives. If the performance schools start producing players who are composed while under pressure and are able to control and pass a ball then I'll change my tune.

I suppose McLeish playing Forrest inside and giving him more freedom has been a positive, and who knows, maybe Forrest will do a Bale and fire us into the Euros. Fingers crossed.

On 11/26/2018 at 6:53 PM, Third Lanark said:

Burke is the real engima. Unable to dislodge Matt Phillips at West Brom. Feruz can be safely written off. Wonedr how Harper is doing after a bright start.

Burke is the freak kid in primary school who hits puberty in primary school first. Dominates the football pitch against smaller boys of same age.  

2 hours ago, Alan said:

Burke is the freak kid in primary school who hits puberty in primary school first. Dominates the football pitch against smaller boys of same age.  

Didn't he also dominate the big boys in the Championship for a while? 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That's the hype, it wasn't for a while it was for half a dozen games.  Personally think he will be a player in a couple of years if he can stay fit long enough.

All I meant was he has showed he can actually do it against the big boys. I really hope he can show us that again soon.