Iron Horse - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

48 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I was in the Sarry Heid a few months back before a gig?

No sure where Kerry's is but add Kelly's to another list of shiteholes haha!

Whistling Kirk is actually a decent enough boozer all things considered. Used to live round corner from it on St Andrews Square - doesn't attract the same dregs as the Gallowgate does. I was actually in it after the last Old Firm game meeting a mate from school who was over from Alaska for the game (wasn't my choice of venue!)

Kerry's is further up the Gallowgate, on the same row of buildings as the Bellgrove hotel, so probably tells you all you need to know about it. Can remember being in there after we got the league trophy one time and a cunt got slashed in the toilet and they were still serving and the band were still playing while the ambulance people were in the toilets with him. Obviously wasn't seen as too out the ordinary.

7 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Kerry's is further up the Gallowgate, on the same row of buildings as the Bellgrove hotel, so probably tells you all you need to know about it. Can remember being in there after we got the league trophy one time and a cunt got slashed in the toilet and they were still serving and the band were still playing while the ambulance people were in the toilets with him. Obviously wasn't seen as too out the ordinary.

Is that not that Brendan's Bar place?

Past few times we've played Celtic we've just drank in St Lukes which is night and day from the surrounding pubs.  My ex's uncle used to play in the Emerald and I'd sometimes go there with her on a Sunday/After Celtic-Killie games as her papa drank there. I never got any hassle although everyone knew I was a Killie fan but fuck drinking in there on a non match day if your face wasn't known! it's shut down now too.

50 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Is that not that Brendan's Bar place?

Past few times we've played Celtic we've just drank in St Lukes which is night and day from the surrounding pubs.  My ex's uncle used to play in the Emerald and I'd sometimes go there with her on a Sunday/After Celtic-Killie games as her papa drank there. I never got any hassle although everyone knew I was a Killie fan but fuck drinking in there on a non match day if your face wasn't known! it's shut down now too.

Aye Brendan's was the last name it had. It always closes and opens again every few months with a different name. Shitehole.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I was in the Sarry Heid a few months back before a gig?

No sure where Kerry's is but add Kelly's to another list of shiteholes haha!

Whistling Kirk is actually a decent enough boozer all things considered. Used to live round corner from it on St Andrews Square - doesn't attract the same dregs as the Gallowgate does. I was actually in it after the last Old Firm game meeting a mate from school who was over from Alaska for the game (wasn't my choice of venue!)

I’d suggest you need to take a look at the boozers you frequent. Some startling admissions.

Pikey bastard.

19 hours ago, 1ANDYP said:

Grant arms  must be the worst in the city centre. A few up at saltmarket just as bad. Don't like to see pubs shutting though.

Been in Grant Arms twice I think, both times it was reeking of farts.

There used to be a Rangers shop just along from it next to Arches, cannae mind it's name. Long closed down. It was a dump too.

The Grant Arms is one of those places that just looks in no way appealing.  It's the type of place that if you were going to shit yourself you'd just walk by it and go home wearing a bin bag.  A bit like that really ropey looking boozer that used sit on Broomloan Road between Ibrox and Govan Underground.  I've always had a rule to never go in a pub with no windows!

Just now, Fairbairn said:

The Grant Arms is one of those places that just looks in no way appealing.  It's the type of place that if you were going to shit yourself you'd just walk by it and go home wearing a bin bag.  A bit like that really ropey looking boozer that used sit on Broomloan Road between Ibrox and Govan Underground.  I've always had a rule to never go in a pub with no windows!

Speaking of which, I went in the Stanley Bar during a subcrawl years ago. Oooft.

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Speaking of which, I went in the Stanley Bar during a subcrawl years ago. Oooft.

Where's that? 

Ropiest bar I was in was up the Gallowgate on a day Scotland were playing.  We'd been in a really shit pub in Merchant City and decided to move on at HT and couldn't get in anywhere.  Ended up in this boozer just off High Street and I don't know what the occasion was but all the punters were wearing T Shirts commemorating Michael O'Someoneorother, some Irish rebel hero.  It was made quite clear very early on we weren't welcome so it we necked our drinks and moved on to one a couple of doors down which was under some railway arches, had karaoke on while the game was and was easily the mankiest, pish stained boozer I've ever been in! (and I grew up in Linwood/Paisley!!)

Quick check on Google maps tells me it was The Toolbooth and The Spirit!

Edited by Fairbairn

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

In fact, I don't think there's any Rangers boozers in city centre anymore, closest much be the Lord Nelson?

Seems to be more and more Celtic ones opening up. St Vincents, Kittys, Grace's, Malones, Irish Rover etc.

That's because us uppity taigs run the fucking show now ronnyroars.gif

5 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Where's that? 

Ropiest bar I was in was up the Gallowgate on a day Scotland were playing.  We'd been in a really shit pub in Merchant City and decided to move on at HT and couldn't get in anywhere.  Ended up in this boozer just off High Street and I don't know what the occasion was but all the punters were wearing T Shirts commemorating Michael O'Someoneorother, some Irish rebel hero.  It was made quite clear very early on we weren't welcome so it we necked our drinks and moved on to one a couple of doors down which was under some railway arches, had karaoke on while the game was and was easily the mankiest, pish stained boozer I've ever been in! (and I grew up in Linwood/Paisley!!)

Mcuhill's? Surprised to hear that as it's usually frequented by gimps wearing boat shoes and skinny jeans

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Been in Grant Arms twice I think, both times it was reeking of farts.

There used to be a Rangers shop just along from it next to Arches, cannae mind it's name. Long closed down. It was a dump too.

Was it called the Argyle ?

On 11/23/2018 at 4:59 PM, Ormond said:

Agree to a certain extent but the continued booting of the working masses into line has to be at least tried to be held back a bit somewhere. 

I don't like it as a pub but can understand why a few folks have an affection for the place. However the corner it sits on is awful and stands out like a sore thumb. That whole corner needs to be redeveloped in line with the surroundings. Nothing to stop the Iron Horse as a unit moving to another location. The town has loads of what you could class as working class/old men's pubs and many are not without character. it is kind of ironic though given the amount of "local pubs" there are in the city centre at a time when Glasgow is crying out for more city centre residential developments to balance against the (welcome) spate of office developments.