First 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First 11

Malcolm

Who would your first choice be.... assuming everyone fit.... for the next game....

mcgregor

tierney.     Souttar.     McKenna.   Robertson

McGregor McGinn   Armstrong

Forrest.          Fletcher     Fraser

Same starting 11 as the last 2 games except O Donnell for Paterson.

They have all earned the right to start..  (except Paterson.) 

cannae see how can you drop Christie for Mcginn......

Edited by stocky

13 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Who would your first choice be.... assuming everyone fit.... for the next game....

mcgregor

tierney.     Souttar.     McKenna.   Robertson

McGregor McGinn   Armstrong

Forrest.          Fletcher     Fraser

1. Depends on who we are playing.

2. Depends who is in form in March.

My starting point would be the XI that started the last 2 matches and then see if anyone has done enough to force their way in.

Gordon, Tierney, Souttar, Berra, Mulgrew and Griffiths would all be considered. 

3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

1. Depends on who we are playing.

2. Depends who is in form in March.

My starting point would be the XI that started the last 2 matches and then see if anyone has done enough to force their way in.

Gordon, Tierney, Souttar, Berra, Mulgrew and Griffiths would all be considered. 

No mcginn?

Pretty much the same 11 as started the last 2 matches except Tierney at RB instead of Paterson. 

As Mick says though it would depend on who we are playing. The 11 that started against Albania and Israel would probably be far too attacking and the central defence too inexperienced if we were playing France or Spain or any Pot 1 team.

Depending on who we were playng, I would probably put Souttar in instead of Bates as well but wouldn’t have a problem if Bates kept his spot.

Griffiths, if fit, in form and without his head up his arse would need to be considered. As would Cairney. 

I think we have to realise in the 4-3-3 that our centre forward is there as a foil for the 2 wee wingers; don't necessarily expect him to score.

If we are up against it and we are playing more like a 4-5-1 then maybe a poacher like Griffiths would be better otherwise I'd stick with Fletch.

Otherwise, Tierney at RB is obvious to me and depending on the opposition a choice between McGinn and Armstrong.

It's amazing the difference four months can make. Think about the players who played great in these last two matches that we wouldn't have been fussed at all about back in July (Christie, Fletcher, Bates, even possibly Fraser). 

Best case scenario is they all keep up their good form AND we get another four or five coming through that we're not thinking about just now. The more the merrier! 

Who knows, maybe come March Oli Burke will be tearing up the Championship again, or Leigh Griffiths will be top scorer in the Scottish Premiership, or Tom Cairney will have signed for Man City, or Callum Paterson will be top scorer in the EPL hahaha. 

Tierney at right back for me.

McGinn offers us that harassing element to his game that maybe would have prevented one, if not both the Israel goals on Tuesday. Difficult to leave any of the midfield out as they all played their part.

Fletcher has the jersey now. Can Griffiths be as effective in that role? Can he even be arsed?

Aye depends who we are playing but system wise I think we’d need a really good reason to move away from a 4231 / 433 formation. 

We’re guilty on here of judging players after 1 or 2 games, O’Donnell is a good example, same with Bates if he has a bad game next time. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

McGregor

Tierney - McKenna –Souttar - Robertson

Mcgregor/Mcginn – Armstrong

Fraser       Christie/Mcgregor          Forrest

Griffiths/Fletcher      

A few variations of our strongest 11. Good to have options.

2 hours ago, g@un said:

Tierney at right back for me.

McGinn offers us that harassing element to his game that maybe would have prevented one, if not both the Israel goals on Tuesday. Difficult to leave any of the midfield out as they all played their part.

Fletcher has the jersey now. Can Griffiths be as effective in that role? Can he even be arsed?

Except that McGinn, in his recent games, has a bad habit of giving away cheap possessions. Appreciate his other qualities though. As for Griffiths, can he hold the ball up like a good lone striker? Because we seem to be set up now for just the one, whether in a 4.3.3. or a 4-5-1.

3 hours ago, 1ANDYP said:

O'Donnell had a nightmare in the Israel game. As bad if not worse than Paterson was. Has to be Tierney at right back. 

He did aye, but as a wing-back. Robertson looked just as lost on the left. 

I’m sure O’Donnell will be a lot more solid in a back four.

4 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

I like the look of Bates and would have instead of Souttar

Bates worries me a little. He was fine in the last 2 games but I have a feeling his arse would collapse if Mbappe or someone was running at him (mind you, whose wouldn’t!). 

Souttar isn’t much more experienced in fairness and I think I’m still judging Bates on his time at Ibrox but he still makes me nervous. Hopefully he’ll prove me wrong if he keeps his place. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Bates worries me a little. He was fine in the last 2 games but I have a feeling his arse would collapse if Mbappe or someone was running at him (mind you, whose wouldn’t!). 

Souttar isn’t much more experienced in fairness and I think I’m still judging Bates on his time at Ibrox but he still makes me nervous. Hopefully he’ll prove me wrong if he keeps his place. 

I was watching him in Albania, and I liked the way he was organising the defence - he showed leadership.

All our current and potential central defenders are far from being world class  - we all recognise that. However, I thought Bates showed a little bit more in terms of being able to organise and lead a defence. 

2 hours ago, bigfingers said:

McGregor

Tierney - McKenna –Souttar - Robertson

Mcgregor/Mcginn – Armstrong

Fraser       Christie/Mcgregor          Forrest

Griffiths/Fletcher      

A few variations of our strongest 11. Good to have options.

Apart from playing Fraser and Forrest on the wrong positions, I’d have to agree.  😂

Should Souttar walk straight back into the starting 11 though? Bates didn’t do anything wrong and could be playing in the Bundesliga next season. His inexperience does worry me a bit though. It’s a tough one.

Cairney is also a possibility (assuming he ever gets fit and actually wants to play for us).

1 minute ago, Brummie Hibs said:

I was watching him in Albania, and I liked the way he was organising the defence - he showed leadership.

All our current and potential central defenders are far from being world class  - we all recognise that. However, I thought Bates showed a little bit more in terms of being able to organise and lead a defence. 

I did like what I saw as well but our defence wasn’t really tested that much. 

I’m not sure how he’d react to playing against a very good attacking side. Mind you, I’m not sure how Souttar would react either. 

McLeish might go for the experience of Mulgrew or maybe even Berra against tougher opposition next year. Not necessarily my first choice but we’ll see what happens. 

55 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I did like what I saw as well but our defence wasn’t really tested that much. 

I’m not sure how he’d react to playing against a very good attacking side. Mind you, I’m not sure how Souttar would react either. 

McLeish might go for the experience of Mulgrew or maybe even Berra against tougher opposition next year. Not necessarily my first choice but we’ll see what happens. 

Your the second person to mention Berra, do you want to continue with all our past failures? The youngsters we have are all at the same level as Berra is now, we need to get their cap totals into double figures as soon as possible and recalling the likes of Berra hinders that.  Older players should only be in the squad if you intend starting them and if Berra is there I might become an addition to the statistics of the declining Scotland support

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Your the second person to mention Berra, do you want to continue with all our past failures? The youngsters we have are all at the same level as Berra is now, we need to get their cap totals into double figures as soon as possible and recalling the likes of Berra hinders that.  Older players should only be in the squad if you intend starting them and if Berra is there I might become an addition to the statistics of the declining Scotland support

No. If you read my post again I was stating what I thought McLeish might do based on the fact our central defence is so inexperienced and not what I wanted him to do. 

A lot of people were slating McLeish for bringing back Naismith and then Fletcher though and they both worked out OK so if he does bring Berra back I certainly won’t be spitting the dummy and refusing to go back to Hampden. 

If fit, Mulgrew will probably be in the next squad. If Mulgrew is injured then I wouldn’t be surprised if Berra was in the squad for his experience (again, if he’s fit. I’m not sure when he’s due back). Only having an older player in the squad if they are going to start seems like a rule that you have just made up. 

Been saying it for years, our over reliance on experience is holding us back big style Berra is not as good as mulgrew and hasn't been involved with the new younger players.so why bring him back, I would sooner give the experience of being away for a week to some one who will need it in the future.  Naismith and fletcher were in the squad to play, not just for the sake of it.

McGregor

Bates.     Souttar.     McKenna.  

Phillips                                                                        Tierney

McGregor        Robertson

Forrest.                     Fraser

Fletcher.