Your first Scotland match - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your first Scotland match

mrniaboc

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Was this the game where that prick Trezeguet was giving it big licks to Caldwell at the end?

Caldwell got his revenge not long after. 

Stade de France friendly 2002.   Bertie's first game.   Took me a while to find the year as it took more than 4 years for Caldwell's Revenge.

Scotland 1-1 Poland, May 1990. Hampden, Italia’90 warm up game. Mo Johnston and a Gary Gillespie og. I was 14. 

And in a funny twist of fate, I married a Polish lassie, we had a wee laddie, his first game was Scotland 2-2 Poland at Hampden in 2015, aged 4, while wearing a Poland top and kilt. Then we went to Russia 2018 to follow Poland, they were utter shite, pumped oot after two games, wee man was devastated and after a video of the Colombia fans cheering him up went viral we were invited back to Russia for the WC Final courtesy of FIFA 😃

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

Was this the game where that prick Trezeguet was giving it big licks to Caldwell at the end?

Caldwell got his revenge not long after. 

Nah, the Trezeguet thing was in Bertie’s first match in 2002 (Paris 5-0). 

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Scotland 1-1 Poland, May 1990. Hampden, Italia’90 warm up game. Mo Johnston and a Gary Gillespie og. I was 14. 

And in a funny twist of fate, I married a Polish lassie, we had a wee laddie, his first game was Scotland 2-2 Poland at Hampden in 2015, aged 4, while wearing a Poland top and kilt. Then we went to Russia 2018 to follow Poland, they were utter shite, pumped oot after two games, wee man was devastated and after a video of the Colombia fans cheering him up went viral we were invited back to Russia for the WC Final courtesy of FIFA 😃

Snap. 

Well not the polish wife part, or watching Poland at a WC or going to the WC final courtesy of FIFA 😂

3 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Scotland v Latvia at Celtic Park in 1997. Kevin Gallagher and Gordon Durie both scored in a 2-0 win that secured our place at France 98.

I’m sure we were waiting on a result involving the Faroese not to lose by x-number of goals to go through as best placed second team

Its all been doon hill ever since

My first scotland game. Hooked ever since

4 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

The France friendly in March 2000. We lost 2-0. Was 14 so a fairly late starter compared to others. Bought the tickets from Celtic park ticket office, no idea why they were being sold there tbh.

France were world champions, and went on to win the Euros. Think the scorers were Henry and Wiltord but I could have just made that up tbh. 

I'm sure Paul Dickov scored in the first minute but it was ruled out for handball 

Can't remember for sure but the first one I have a clear memory of was Kenny's 100th cap against Romania in 1986 as ma old boy got us tickets in the posh seats for some reason.

We pumped them 3-0 and I just thought that was the way of the world, felt like we could match up to anyone at that point.

Team was:

Andy Goram
Maurice Malpas
Willie Miller
David Narey
Richard Gough
Roy Aitken
Eamonn Bannon
Graeme Souness
Gordon Strachan
Kenny Dalglish (captain)
Graeme Sharp

So many class players and Charlie Nic was on the bench.

Not just my first Scotland game but my first EVER live game, old man never started taking me to St Mirren games till the following season.

Brazil at Hampden 1973, lost 1-0 to a Derek Johnstone own goal.

Around 80,000 there, the only thing I really remember was being terrified by the crush trying to get on the train after the game, 

6 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

Scotland 1-1 Norway, the night we qualified for Italia 90. Had been in the Victoria infirmary getting my tonsils out and my old man sneaked me to the game as soon as I got out without telling anyone. Picked up a throat infection which got me another two weeks off school as well!

Haha that's brilliant! 

5 hours ago, SteveMcD said:

May 1976, a 3-0 win against Northern Ireland in the Home Championships. Was only 8 years old, so don't remember too much, but do remember the almost wall to wall Lion Rampant flags getting waved.

Awesome. Those videos of the old stadium with all the rampant flags waving always stir up some good emotions in me! Wish I could have been there. 

6 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Scotland v Latvia at Celtic Park in 1997. Kevin Gallagher and Gordon Durie both scored in a 2-0 win that secured our place at France 98.

I’m sure we were waiting on a result involving the Faroese not to lose by x-number of goals to go through as best placed second team

Its all been doon hill ever since

I remember that game well. Wasn't at it though. Must have been great to be there! 

5 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

First home match. Northern Ireland in the home internationals 1-1. Just checked the stats and there was a crowd of 78, 444 and the goal scorers were John Wark and Billy Hamilton. Remember telling my dad i was going to my pals house and went to the game. Got captured when we ran out of money to get home and reversed a charge to call my pals mum to ask her to come and pick is up, she stuck me in to my old man.

1981 just noticed it was a world cup qualifier.

J

Hahaha absolutely busted! Nice one. 

9/9/1981 v Sweden, 2-0 through Jordan and Robertson. 82k there which felt like 100k. Went back to my Grans in Newton Mearns and watched the highlights before driving home to Berwick so god knows what time we got home especially seeing my Dad got stopped for speeding at Dunbar.

3 hours ago, McTeeko said:

What a fantastic story! Amazing stuff. 

7 minutes ago, macy37 said:

9/9/1981 v Sweden, 2-0 through Jordan and Robertson. 82k there which felt like 100k. Went back to my Grans in Newton Mearns and watched the highlights before driving home to Berwick so god knows what time we got home especially seeing my Dad got stopped for speeding at Dunbar.

I'd loved to have been at Hampden with that many inside it, at least just once. The noise must have been of the charts! 

Great stories and memories everyone. Thanks for sharing. I'm actually surprised as I thought I'd be one of the later starters on here, but a few of you were about the same time or after. 

It seems most of us had a really positive first outing too. Maybe that helps sow the seeds? 

Hopefully there were a few young lads and lassies there on Tuesday night that will one day be talking about their first game, where they saw Scotland win 3-2 thanks to a Jamsey Forrest hatrick on a dismal, cold night in Glasgow.