Your first Scotland match - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your first Scotland match

mrniaboc

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Scotland 2 Holland 1

23 March 1982

I was 14 and a half

My older cousin had one of those half size snooker tables and took pleasure in gubbing me at it

He was that confident of success to make it more interesting he said he would take me to the game in the car if i beat him

I lost but he took me anyway

The official attendance was 71,848 but over 80,000 was closer - for a friendly 

It was the first time we had played them since Argentina and Jim Bett had been the first Rangers player to be selected for the national team in yonks which boosted the crowd 

Was pay in at the gate and was up the Rangers end - which still had ash terracing

230382-international-friendly-scotland-v

230382-international-friendly-scotland-v

Took my wee brother to this game ( his first game) I was 16 he was 9. After the game at a busy mount Florida my brother was pulled onto the train and I didn't get on. Shitting myself all the way to central on the next train only to find my brother patiently waiting for me. So he was sworn to secrecy and our auld dears never found out.

9 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Post match celebrations were a bit different in those days.

Innocent times.

Nowadays it's straight off the park for a quick interview with Luke.

Celebrations with the paying customers has long been taken off the menu..........

People complain when teams do it nowadays. Particularly Aberdeen and Rangers fans.

Edited by Scotland Ever More

1 hour ago, Scotland Ever More said:

People complain when teams do it nowadays. Particularly Aberdeen and Rangers fans.

Also Celtic ones, but only if it’s Logan doing it 😜

Anyway, first Hampden game was Norway (0-1) Faddy sent off for handball on the line. 

First game was possibly South Africa at Pittodrie, can’t remember exactly. 

Edited by dandydunn

1 hour ago, wheres the pies said:

Scotland-England game 1976 2-1 was ten at the time my maw and my father took me who where big Scotland fans back then attendance was 85.000 don mason and king kenny scoring the goals Dalglish put the ball through Shiltons legs 🤣

Not that we necessarily care about the names of opposition players but wasn't it Ray Clemence?

But with 85 000 there, when Dalglish scored there must have been a Hampden Roar?

56 minutes ago, exile said:

Not that we necessarily care about the names of opposition players but wasn't it Ray Clemence?

But with 85 000 there, when Dalglish scored there must have been a Hampden Roar?

My apologies your are quite correct it was Ray Clemence it must be auld age 😁

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Not in the post I replied to. You'd changed your mind to Sweden in 96. 

Are you sure it was Scotland you went to see?;)

Not really.

Maybe you should be more aware of your surroundings.

My initial post said Russia in the qualification to '96. I realized that I got the scorer/score wrong, so I erroneously thought that my first match was against Sweden, but it turns out that I was correct after all, the only thing that I was wrong about was the score/scorer.

Do you want me to keep writing this down for you? Because I've written it twice and you aren't getting it.

Or do you want to bring in some lawyers?

Edited by Chripper

21 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Not really.

Maybe you should be more aware of your surroundings.

My initial post said Russia in the qualification to '96. I realized that I got the scorer/score wrong, so I erroneously thought that my first match was against Sweden, but it turns out that I was correct after all, the only thing that I was wrong about was the score/scorer.

Do you want me to keep writing this down for you? Because I've written it twice and you aren't getting it.

Or do you want to bring in some lawyers?

What game was it again?

Just testing to see if he always needs to have the last word.

7 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

My apologies your are quite correct it was Ray Clemence it must be auld age 😁

In fact growing up and not paying too much attention, it's just about all I knew or ever needed to know about Clemence. 😉

14 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/tbt-scotland-3-1-czechoslovakia-1977/

Was some game for  for my first match. Was 13 and travelled through from Fife with a friend and his old man. A school night if I recall correctly. The crowd was massive 

Aye, you picked a good one to start with. IMO that is the best performance ever from any Scotland team. 

On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 2:25 PM, mrniaboc said:

Hahaha classic. That's probably my favourite Hampden moment. You know it was a big goal when you end up 15 rows forward at  the end of the celebration. My mate was at the toilet and he came back like "Did I miss anything?".

He certainly did...