Your first Scotland match - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your first Scotland match

mrniaboc

13 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Oops. Did I say Russia?

I meant Sweden. And it wasn't 94, It was 96. Ahh... memories of "We're going to Wembley, que sera sera.."

Do I get anything right? Yes. I did say that I was positive that it was 1:0... and it was. ;)

FIrst and last game my wife went to. Kept asking silly things like"why haven't they scored yet" and "when are they going to score" 

15 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Oops. Did I say Russia?

I meant Sweden. And it wasn't 94, It was 96. Ahh... memories of "We're going to Wembley, que sera sera.."

Do I get anything right? Yes. I did say that I was positive that it was 1:0... and it was. ;)

The 1-0 against Sweden where John McGinlay scored was qualifying for the 98 World Cup. 

It was also at Ibrox. 

27 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The 1-0 against Sweden where John McGinlay scored was qualifying for the 98 World Cup. 

It was also at Ibrox. 

Ta for that.

OK. Then it would appear that my memory isn't as addled as it would appear. I knew it was Russia. Just got the scorer wrong.

It was Russia after all, for some reason, though, I thought it was John McGinley. I still remember the goal like it was yesterday, we sprung their offside trap with a throwball by McAllister and McGinley/Booth had acres of room to close on the keeper and slot it away.

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Ta for that.

OK. Then it would appear that my memory isn't as addled as it would appear. I knew it was Russia. Just got the scorer wrong.

It was Russia after all, for some reason, though, I thought it was John McGinley. I still remember the goal like it was yesterday, we sprung their offside trap with a throwball by McAllister and McGinley/Booth had acres of room to close on the keeper and slot it away.

It was definitely Booth that scored against Russia and McGinlay that scored against Sweden. Both goals were quite similar(ish) so that’s probably why you’re confusing the two. 

Russia pumped everyone in that group except us who they drew with twice. 

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It was definitely Booth that scored against Russia and McGinlay that scored against Sweden. Both goals were quite similar(ish) so that’s probably why you’re confusing the two. 

Russia pumped everyone in that group except us who they drew with twice. 

Yeah, most likely. Just there I watched the McGinley goals against Sweden, and they were definitely kinda similar, apart from Booth getting a wee bit more room. And it was 1:0 against Sweden. So it would appear that my memory is fractured. I remember being gutted that McGinley done so much (with that goal, mainly) to get us to France 98 and yet he wasn't included in the squad. Gutted as you could see how much he loved playing for Scotland.

Yeah, I remember how good they were. Which just goes to show how far 3 at the back can take you. ;) In fairness, our midfield back then would absolutely own our current crop of midfielders.

If memory serves me I think we qualified as we were the runner-up with the most points. I don't think we entered a play-off for Euro 96. Could be wrong, though.

Edited by Chripper

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Oops. Did I say Russia?

What were you going to Wembley for? The tennis?;) That was a qualifier for France 98.

So the only bit you got right, you decided to change so that was as wrong the rest of the post.:lol:

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

What were you going to Wembley for? The tennis?;) That was a qualifier for France 98.

So the only bit you got right, you decided to change so that was as wrong the rest of the post.:lol:

The match against Russia was for Euro 96. :)

Actually, the only part that I got wrong was the scorer and the shoreline. The opposition I got right, the year I got correct and the qualification campaign I was spot-on. 

Better luck next time.

Edited by Chripper

On 11/22/2018 at 8:25 PM, Rich NATA said:

Sweden at Ibrox in 1996

'The Jim Leighton Match'

1-0 win for us, but Sweden absolutely battered us that night......... Leighton was outstanding.

Image result for leighton sweden

That NIGHT?

It was a Sunday afternoon kick-off.

I got the Underground back to the west end afterwards and that went off at 1800 on a Sunday in those days.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

FIrst and last game my wife went to. Kept asking silly things like"why haven't they scored yet" and "when are they going to score" 

:lol:

I remember the match very well.. which is why I mashed it into "my first game". That and the similar goals.

Jim Leighton was absolutely world class that day. Absolute legend.

Edited by Chripper

3 hours ago, Flure said:

Scotland 1 V 0 Italy

Hampden Park

Suitably trumped by you Mr Flure!

I tip my hat!

One question I have about that game is about the strip Scotland wore that night; it had a hoop across the breast a la Motherwell of the era.

Was it ever worn again in a game?

52 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I tip my hat!

One question I have about that game is about the strip Scotland wore that night; it had a hoop across the breast a la Motherwell of the era.

Vuktivano

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

I tip my hat!

:cheers3:

GD6792457.jpg

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

Superb stuff GJ!!

So it was the Italians who were wearing the faux Motherwell strip.

Thanks for that.

Cheers, but I thought I would get pulled up for some dodgy photo-shoppin'.   Photo has been touched up and looks a bit unreal 😄

Scotland Italy 26 years ago this November, at Ibrox. 33,000. No goals, but probably seen as a decent result at the time.

The main thing I remember was people said Alan McLaren (then of Hearts) had Roberto Baggio in his back pocket (still meriting a headline 24 years later). And a vague memory that Gordon Durie went close... 

5 minutes ago, exile said:

Scotland Italy 26 years ago this November, at Ibrox. 33,000. No goals, but probably seen as a decent result at the time.

The main thing I remember was people said Alan McLaren (then of Hearts) had Roberto Baggio in his back pocket (still meriting a headline 24 years later). And a vague memory that Gordon Durie went close... 

That’s a terrible attendance for such a big match. Especially considering we had been to the European championships earlier that year and didn’t make a colossal arse of ourselves. 

That was a horrible group but we still had a chance if qualifying at that point. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

That’s a terrible attendance for such a big match. Especially considering we had been to the European championships earlier that year and didn’t make a colossal arse of ourselves. 

That was a horrible group but we still had a chance if qualifying at that point. 

Yes surprising with hindsight though still better than this week's must-win promotion-winning league finale! 

Scotland 2 Holland 1

23 March 1982

I was 14 and a half

My older cousin had one of those half size snooker tables and took pleasure in gubbing me at it

He was that confident of success to make it more interesting he said he would take me to the game in the car if i beat him

I lost but he took me anyway

The official attendance was 71,848 but over 80,000 was closer - for a friendly 

It was the first time we had played them since Argentina and Jim Bett had been the first Rangers player to be selected for the national team in yonks which boosted the crowd 

Was pay in at the gate and was up the Rangers end - which still had ash terracing

230382-international-friendly-scotland-v

Edited by Ally Bongo

18 minutes ago, exile said:

Yes surprising with hindsight though still better than this week's must-win promotion-winning league finale! 

True but if we had been playing Italy in a competitive match on Tuesday there would have been more or less a full house.  

Could people have been a bit blasé about qualifying in the early 90s maybe?

11 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It was the first time we had played them since Argentina and Jim Bett had been the first Rangers player to be selected for the national team in yonks which boosted the crowd 

Hamilton boy though Ally ;)   Mrs Grim was in his class at school.   I'm sure he and his brother ran rings round me on the school park too once.   (Though I was aye the last to get picked, so doesn't say much.)

45 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Hamilton boy though Ally ;)   Mrs Grim was in his class at school.   I'm sure he and his brother ran rings round me on the school park too once.   (Though I was aye the last to get picked, so doesn't say much.)

Did he go to Earnock?

I went to high school with his niece. Big gal.

My brother went to school with his nephew.

Edited by Chripper