Your first Scotland match - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your first Scotland match

mrniaboc

3 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

I remember that game well. Wasn't at it though. Must have been great to be there! 

I was at that and Colin Calderwood got my Scotland flag at the end.

Probably my best game of the olden days was the WC play off against Australia. I think it was 78,000, with Cooper and MacAvennie scoring (great flick on from Dalglish). 

My first was against I think Romania about1978 I can't remember much about this game though. Watch I do remember is how disappointed I was with Hampden. What a shithole shale terracing and the smell from the toilets. People just pished against the back walls. The atmosphere was brilliant. From getting off the bus on I think it was aitkinhead road and hearing the pipe band by the time I got into the ground I was absolutely buzzing.i still get a buzz before a game but not like then.

Ian

My first match was a 0-0 draw with Croatia towards the end of the qualifying campaign for the 2002 world cup. Billy Dodds had a goal disallowed for offside.

Started watching the games during the Euro 96 qualifying campaign but none of my mates at the time were interested in going through to them.

16 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

My first ever away game for Scotland was at Ninian Park, Cardiff September 1985. We had just secured a draw with Wales which meant we qualified for the 1986 World Cup. I was 18 years old. My memories were lots of trouble between supporters in the stadium, this was the era of the football casuals, leaving the stadium elated then arriving back at Glasgow Central with the news billboards announcing the death of Jock Stein. I had no idea what happened. So happiness with the result turned to shock at the death of Stein.

My granddad died the same night, my dad was meant to be down in Wales for the game.

17 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

My first ever away game for Scotland was at Ninian Park, Cardiff September 1985. We had just secured a draw with Wales which meant we qualified for the 1986 World Cup. I was 18 years old. My memories were lots of trouble between supporters in the stadium, this was the era of the football casuals, leaving the stadium elated then arriving back at Glasgow Central with the news billboards announcing the death of Jock Stein. I had no idea what happened. So happiness with the result turned to shock at the death of Stein.

Good post & I share so many memories from that night, I saw quite a lot of trouble outside the ground but cant' remember any inside the ground (we where behind the goals Davie Cooper scored his penalty) ??

5 hours ago, hoofitharder said:

My first was against I think Romania about1978 I can't remember much about this game though. Watch I do remember is how disappointed I was with Hampden. What a shithole shale terracing and the smell from the toilets. People just pished against the back walls. The atmosphere was brilliant. From getting off the bus on I think it was aitkinhead road and hearing the pipe band by the time I got into the ground I was absolutely buzzing.i still get a buzz before a game but not like then.

Ian

Not at that game, but you've captured the atmosphere for me back then.   Massed band, rain, floodlights.   An inch o' pish around the toilets :lol:

For my earlier big crowds, I could hardly see the games as I was a couple of inches short of seeing over the bunnets.   I can remember being really scared in the crush a couple of times at the exits too.   A little older, and going with a pal instead of my dad, someone knicked his tartan tammy while at the terracing exit and someone tried to pickpocket me.    So packed you couldn't turn round to see who.

16 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Not at that game, but you've captured the atmosphere for me back then.   Massed band, rain, floodlights.   An inch o' pish around the toilets :lol:

For my earlier big crowds, I could hardly see the games as I was a couple of inches short of seeing over the bunnets.   I can remember being really scared in the crush a couple of times at the exits too.   A little older, and going with a pal instead of my dad, someone knicked his tartan tammy while at the terracing exit and someone tried to pickpocket me.    So packed you couldn't turn round to see who.

I was seventeen but I am short and it was quite scary in the crush. One thing that fascinated me was almost tribal it all seemed. I never got used to  how much drink there was in the ground I remember a game I am sure it was against Argentina and it was really warm and there seemed to be stacks of trays of time of beer and folk didn't even go to the toilet they just burst the top of the can and pished in it and put it on the ground and carried on to the next can. You are right about the pickpockets whilst I was queuing I once saw a guy with his hand in another guys pocket folk started shouting and the pickpockets started getting a ranking lucky for him the polis came over. For Wembley 79 my mum sewed my ticket into the inside pocket of my jacket has it was a bigger trying to get it out.

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

50 years ago this month.

WC 70 Quaifier: Scotland 2 (Law, Bremner) Austria 1

Team: Simpson, Gemmell, McCreadie, Bremner, McKinnon, Greig, Johnstone, Law (Gilzean), Hughes, Cooke, Lennox

Respect! 

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

My granddad died the same night, my dad was meant to be down in Wales for the game.

Sorry. 

Edited by Scotty CTA

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

Berti's first game was the 5-0 in Paris...

trezeguet_winds_caldwell_up.jpe

Hahaha classic. That's probably my favourite Hampden moment. You know it was a big goal when you end up 15 rows forward at  the end of the celebration. My mate was at the toilet and he came back like "Did I miss anything?".

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

A circle would be formed with faces pointing outward and a pisher would pish. 

Thank god for progress. People used to pish into beer cans as well and they would often go flying after a goal. 

Nobody should come home from a football match reeking of pish. 

47 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure when, but it was against England and you were allowed to pish in the east stand. Think thats were the working classes stood, the toffs were always in the North stand.

Exchange the word ‘toffs’ for ‘oil industry workers’ and ‘East’ for ‘West’ and not much has changed today. 😄

16 minutes ago, Chripper said:

My first match was the Euro 96 Qualifier at Hampdem against Russia (1994). Made a beeline for Glasgow with my pal when School finished.

John McGinley scored.

I could've swore that we won 1:0, but upon checking, it was 1:1.

I think you'll find it was Scott Booth who scored. He was a fine run of scoring form at the time.

Do ever get anything right?;)

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think you'll find it was Scott Booth who scored. He was a fine run of scoring form at the time.

Do ever get anything right?;)

Oops. Did I say Russia?

I meant Sweden. And it wasn't 94, It was 96. Ahh... memories of "We're going to Wembley, que sera sera.."

Do I get anything right? Yes. I did say that I was positive that it was 1:0... and it was. ;)