Player ratings over international break - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Player ratings over international break

Burj_Alba

As a wee bit of time at work thought it would be time to give a view on players performances over the international break.

McGregor A – 8 Nothing to do in Albania but some seem to think he was at fault in Israel’s first last night. Disagree and no chance with second. Worth his weight in gold for the last minute save. definite No 1 going forward.

Patterson – 6 Thought he did well in possession but a bomb scare defensively in Albania. Not directly at fault with any of the goals last night but gave me the heebie jeebies every time a ball came down his flank.

Robertson – 8 Stayed back a lot more than he does for Liverpool ( relying on Van Dijk rather than McKenna ?? ) but when he did go forward looked a threat. Good future partnership with Fraser on the left hand side.

Bates – 7 Did OK in the penalty box and won a few aerial duals. Could have given away a penalty late in the game last night but overall a good few days. Also was asleep with ball over the top for McGregor’s save. Promising but work in progress.

McKenna – 8 won everything that came his way and looked majestic in Albania. Loved his walk out of defence with the ball in injury time Ala Alan Hansen. Hope he kicks on from here and establishes himself at a higher level. Confident he will.

Forrest – 10 Sir, I apologise and rescind every criticism of the past few years. Brilliant goals ( all five of them) and also had a few attempted assists ( Fletcher’s header in second half ) Would be ironic if he really kicked on at international level under McLeish. Extra point for the enthusiasm and confidence shows. What would have happened if The Albanian goalie saved his first goal on Saturday?

McGregor C – 8 Harshly criticized for the first goal last night but he will need to add that to his game if he is to keep that position. Looked confident and solid on the ball and could have scored in both games.

Armstrong – 9 back to his best and lovely touches on the ball and always looking for the run or the pass. Strange that he is the most senior of the midfielders but hope he can keep fit for both Scotland and Southampton.

Christie – 9 Apart from Forrest in a Messi mask, the find of the international break. Superb fitness and finesse on the ball. Great assists. Best part of the double header was the outrageous dummy which set up McTominey to hit the bar the other night

Fletcher – 9 Always thought he lacked confidence when playing for Scotland but looked like he really enjoyed the role and took on responsibility for the younger players in midfield. Held the ball up superbly in both games. Never thought would hear him getting such a reception when subbed last night. Great few days.

Fraser – 9 Brilliant in both games. Any notion that he didn’t want to play for us is totally dead in the water. Great assist last night for Forrest’s third goal. Hopefully see the best of him at his peak.

McTominey – 6 should have scored in Albania but nowhere near enough time last night.

Phillips, Shinnie, others hard to give a rating but should commitment when they came on

McLeish – 8 Much maligned before and thought circumstances forced his hand ( i.e left back problem, last man standing in central defence, young dynamic midfield because of the withdrawals ) . Interesting what he will do if players like Snodgrass, Ritchie and Griffiths decided they want to be part of it again.

6 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

As a wee bit of time at work thought it would be time to give a view on players performances over the international break.

McGregor A – 8 Nothing to do in Albania but some seem to think he was at fault in Israel’s first last night. Disagree and no chance with second. Worth his weight in gold for the last minute save. definite No 1 going forward.

PATERSON – 6 Thought he did well in possession but a bomb scare defensively in Albania. Not directly at fault with any of the goals last night but gave me the heebie jeebies every time a ball came down his flank.

Robertson – 8 Stayed back a lot more than he does for Liverpool ( relying on Van Dijk rather than McKenna ?? ) but when he did go forward looked a threat. Good future partnership with Fraser on the left hand side.

Bates – 7 Did OK in the penalty box and won a few aerial duals. Could have given away a penalty late in the game last night but overall a good few days. Also was asleep with ball over the top for McGregor’s save. Promising but work in progress.

McKenna – 8 won everything that came his way and looked majestic in Albania. Loved his walk out of defence with the ball in injury time Ala Alan Hansen. Hope he kicks on from here and establishes himself at a higher level. Confident he will.

Forrest – 10 Sir, I apologise and rescind every criticism of the past few years. Brilliant goals ( all five of them) and also had a few attempted assists ( Fletcher’s header in second half ) Would be ironic if he really kicked on at international level under McLeish. Extra point for the enthusiasm and confidence shows. What would have happened if The Albanian goalie saved his first goal on Saturday?

McGregor C – 8 Harshly criticized for the first goal last night but he will need to add that to his game if he is to keep that position. Looked confident and solid on the ball and could have scored in both games.

Armstrong – 9 back to his best and lovely touches on the ball and always looking for the run or the pass. Strange that he is the most senior of the midfielders but hope he can keep fit for both Scotland and Southampton.

Christie – 9 Apart from Forrest in a Messi mask, the find of the international break. Superb fitness and finesse on the ball. Great assists. Best part of the double header was the outrageous dummy which set up McTominey to hit the bar the other night

Fletcher – 9 Always thought he lacked confidence when playing for Scotland but looked like he really enjoyed the role and took on responsibility for the younger players in midfield. Held the ball up superbly in both games. Never thought would hear him getting such a reception when subbed last night. Great few days.

Fraser – 9 Brilliant in both games. Any notion that he didn’t want to play for us is totally dead in the water. Great assist last night for Forrest’s third goal. Hopefully see the best of him at his peak.

McTominey – 6 should have scored in Albania but nowhere near enough time last night.

Phillips, Shinnie, others hard to give a rating but should commitment when they came on

McLeish – 8 Much maligned before and thought circumstances forced his hand ( i.e left back problem, last man standing in central defence, young dynamic midfield because of the withdrawals ) . Interesting what he will do if players like Snodgrass, Ritchie and Griffiths decided they want to be part of it again.

19 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Patterson – 6 Thought he did well in possession but a bomb scare defensively in Albania. Not directly at fault with any of the goals last night but gave me the heebie jeebies every time a ball came down his flank.

I agree with most of this but what does concern me is a shortage of goals from our strikers. We scored 10 goals in the Nations League and only two were scored by our centre forwards and one of those was a penalty. 5 of them were scored by one person.

I thought Fletcher played very well in Albania and last night but it would have been good to see him score from open play.

We can’t rely on Forest to score in every game. Or can we........? 😂

2 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

It's the correct spelling of our Scottish surname.

If you went through this board correcting all the ’McLiesh’, ‘McTonimay’, ‘Forest’ and ‘Teirney’ spelling mistakes you’d be a pretty busy (and sad) man. 

Incidentally, Patterson is also a Scottish name. It just isn’t Callum’s. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

If you went through this board correcting all the ’McLiesh’, ‘McTonimay’, ‘Forest’ and ‘Teirney’ spelling mistakes you’d be a pretty busy (and sad) man.  

Of course, but I've never done that.

(Just did it with the name Callum and I share.)

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Incidentally, Patterson is also a Scottish name. It just isn’t Callum’s. 

Thanks for the lesson.

'Pater' is Latin for 'Father'.

It's where we get the word (for example) 'paternal' from.

(Paterson... Son of the Father.)

'Patterson', 'Pattison', etc. are bastardisations of the original name that stuck due to illiteracy. 

1 minute ago, Scotty CTA said:

Of course, but I've never done that.

(Just did it with the name Callum and I share.)

Thanks for the lesson.

'Pater' is Latin for 'Father'.

It's where we get the word (for example) 'paternal' from.

(Paterson... Son of the Father.)

'Patterson', 'Pattison', etc. are bastardisations of the original name that stuck due to illiteracy. 

Son of the Father must be the most redundant surname in history. Congratulations on having it. 😂

In all seriousness though, I have been told that both names have a different origin (although I’m sure you’re correct in that some Pattersons used to be Paterson).  

Patterson is from southern Scotland/northern England and is a derivation of Pattinson which means son of Pate (sometimes spelled Patt). 

In fairness I am only going on what I have been told by a mate whose surname is Patterson so he could be talking absolute bollocks. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Son of the Father must be the most redundant surname in history. Congratulations on having it. 😂

My favourite (and pretty much only) German phrase is 'ich habe einen geburtstag'.

It translates as "I have a birthday".

For some reason it's funnier to me than to the Germans trying to figure out what I must have meant.

Everyone here in North America constantly spells our name incorrectly.

It causes problems on forms, finding files, etc. 

You can verbally emphasise "one 't' " and they still put two.

You can send them correct written word or e-mail spelling, and they still put two t's.

(Just my pet peeve, anyway... thank you to 'BA' for taking the time to list his thoughts on the individual player performances.)