Forrest - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forrest

GaryWood34

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We can talk systems and formations until we’re blue in the face but John McGinn will be a big player for us over the next 10 years. As will McGregor. 

Don't doubt it, he'll be in or around the squad his whole career most likely. I just wouldn't want the starting 11 to rely on him, like how Scott Brown became vital.

If we're going to go with a model of one sitter and one forward running defensive mid, then McGregor and Armstrong have shown they can do it. Shinnie, McTominay and Fleck can probably do the sitting role comfortably. Cairney, Bannan, McGinn likely competing for the more forward role?

The problem maybe becomes.. who can come in for Christie? Which is a bizarre ting to say so soon into his international career. Paterson, GMS, Bannan maybe?

We could also really do with Morgan and Burke getting regular games as backup out wide too.

16 hours ago, kumnio said:

Theres really no point coming all righteous because he has had two good games. He has been dreadful at best in most games, if he can stay at this level, no one will be complaining about it.

exactly, we all want him to do well and are glad he has had a couple of good games, he needs to continue it though.

16 hours ago, kumnio said:

27 years old

24 mainly dreadful appearances

7 year Scotland career

0 (zero) goals scored

You think thats too early to make a judgement then?

Correct

14 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Honestly, you are talking (mostly) rubbish.  Forrest has had plenty games playing in his ideal position on the right.  As many have said he has been very poor.  I think I mentioned in a post a few weeks back that Forrest is a good player when your team is doing well.

i am delighted that Forrest has played a blinder these last two games.  I hope that we can say the same when we come up against some quality opposition.

100%  agree, its a step in the right direction and I am delighted hes started to prove himself when we have needed it badly

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Don't doubt it, he'll be in or around the squad his whole career most likely. I just wouldn't want the starting 11 to rely on him, like how Scott Brown became vital.

If we're going to go with a model of one sitter and one forward running defensive mid, then McGregor and Armstrong have shown they can do it. Shinnie, McTominay and Fleck can probably do the sitting role comfortably. Cairney, Bannan, McGinn likely competing for the more forward role?

The problem maybe becomes.. who can come in for Christie? Which is a bizarre ting to say so soon into his international career. Paterson, GMS, Bannan maybe?

We could also really do with Morgan and Burke getting regular games as backup out wide too.

McGinn could do the defensive role if called upon for us (and it’s where he’ll find most success as he moves up the levels of club football).  The best parts of his game are tackling and shielding the ball with his immense arse. 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Fletcher holding up the ball and laying it off to Fraser, Christie, Forrest and Armstrong is an amazing prospect for us. I wish we had another game this year to see this again

I think it's worth saying that Fletcher was really the unsung hero of the last two games. When he was called up I think we were all pretty much not interested, and I was seeing him starting up front as on of our biggest weaknesses. Boy did he prove me wrong. His unbelievable work rate and effort to create opportunities for our attacking midfield quartet was vital. He doesn't need to score any goals really, I've just now realised that's not what he was on the park to do. Hats off to you Steven! 

3 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I think it's worth saying that Fletcher was really the unsung hero of the last two games. When he was called up I think we were all pretty much not interested, and I was seeing him starting up front as on of our biggest weaknesses. Boy did he prove me wrong. His unbelievable work rate and effort to create opportunities for our attacking midfield quartet was vital. He doesn't need to score any goals really, I've just now realised that's not what he was on the park to do. Hats off to you Steven! 

Yes and it was great to see him getting a standing ovation when he went off last night and great to hear Forrest's name getting chanted. It ensures the players know they will be rewarded if they put the graft in.

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes and it was great to see him getting a standing ovation when he went off last night and great to hear Forrest's name getting chanted. It ensures the players know they will be rewarded if they put the graft in.

Yeah, that was really great  to hear. One of the biggest cheers of the night. he deserved it. he was literally all over the place. I'm sure I saw him pop up and win a defensive header in the centre half position at one point!

Didn't the Daily Record run a feature about how James McFadden - after scoring that goal - celebrated by his maw giving him a roll n square sausage or something like that. 

So... isn't about time they did an interview feature with Forrest on his favoured choice of 'piece', or favoured kebab or Greggs pie perhaps? Or is it 'hoggies' these days?

Anyone know how many of Forrest's caps have come from him coming on as a sub? I know people like to point out the 24 caps without a goal, but how many of those did he actually start? I think he had a few starts under Strachan, but can't really remember before that.

56 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Anyone know how many of Forrest's caps have come from him coming on as a sub? I know people like to point out the 24 caps without a goal, but how many of those did he actually start? I think he had a few starts under Strachan, but can't really remember before that.

16 starts and 10 as sub.

Completed the full game on 6 occasions.

19 hours ago, exile said:

Didn't the Daily Record run a feature about how James McFadden - after scoring that goal - celebrated by his maw giving him a roll n square sausage or something like that. 

His Maw used to make my breakfast everytime I was in Glasgow.

6 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Aye right! You trying to tell us aw you’ve pumped Faddy’s maw?!? 😏

He bought his parents the greasy spoon cafe just doon fae Geordie Square. We used to go in the morning of each Scotland gemme when he played. 😂

They both worked cooking the scran.

Edited by Ormond

On 11/21/2018 at 9:51 AM, er yir macaroon said:

McGinn could do the defensive role if called upon for us (and it’s where he’ll find most success as he moves up the levels of club football).  The best parts of his game are tackling and shielding the ball with his immense arse. 

Did you mean big or are you just very fond of it?

On 11/21/2018 at 12:22 PM, SWMM82 said:

I will be the first to admit that statistically Forrest’s record before Saturday was very poor, but I still believe that has been symptomatic of the poor Scotland teams he has been part of.

Since Faddy we have never really had that talisman, that stand out performer, especially in an attacking sense. We certainly haven’t had a player who has stepped up in a massive game when the chips are down and single handedly fired us to a major finals or play off.....until last night.

It is no coincidence that when we play with more dynamism from middle to front, that we see a different player. 

I just fear that as soon as he has an off game, or a less effective game, the snipers will be back giving it, “Forrest back to his usual pish!”.

He has been a joy to watch, in fact a lot of Scotland’s attacking play as a whole, has been great to watch the last couple of games. Embrace it!

True that although griffs two worldie free kicks were the definition of talismanic tbh.