Forrest - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forrest

GaryWood34

Long overdue but he's been absolutely outstanding these last two games. He's been frustrating in the past in the internationals but relatively consistent for Celtic the last couple of years.

The work rate, composure and confidence have been fantastic. A few games ago he'd have dragged these sorts of chances miles wide - reckon the smaller, more technical players in and around him are suiting his game more than the bigger guys.

1 hour ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Should have been in the team for Haifa, but better late than never.

To be fair, he has been completely mince in his 20+ previous appearances, I don’t think anybody could’ve anticipated his performances over the last week.

He was excellent last night, not just the goals, his general play was good too.

I will be the first to admit that statistically Forrest’s record before Saturday was very poor, but I still believe that has been symptomatic of the poor Scotland teams he has been part of.

Since Faddy we have never really had that talisman, that stand out performer, especially in an attacking sense. We certainly haven’t had a player who has stepped up in a massive game when the chips are down and single handedly fired us to a major finals or play off.....until last night.

It is no coincidence that when we play with more dynamism from middle to front, that we see a different player. 

I just fear that as soon as he has an off game, or a less effective game, the snipers will be back giving it, “Forrest back to his usual pish!”.

He has been a joy to watch, in fact a lot of Scotland’s attacking play as a whole, has been great to watch the last couple of games. Embrace it!

27 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

To be fair, he has been completely mince in his 20+ previous appearances, I don’t think anybody could’ve anticipated his performances over the last week.

He was excellent last night, not just the goals, his general play was good too.

Completely mince is pushing it slightly, however I can see why people were reluctant. He was a player well in form though, and that's not even taking into consideration the goals he scored at St Johnstone a few days prior. Makes you wonder if McLeish would have played him everyone was fit and available.

Hindsight and all that.

4 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Completely mince is pushing it slightly, however I can see why people were reluctant. He was a player well in form though, and that's not even taking into consideration the goals he scored at St Johnstone a few days prior. Makes you wonder if McLeish would have played him everyone was fit and available.

Hindsight and all that.

I think McLeish is quite loyal to players, which can obviously be a weakness, but I can understand him looking to guys who have never let him down, regardless of club form.

On that same basis, Forrest is now 1st name on the team sheet, and rightly so, even if his club form dips.

1 minute ago, andyD said:

I think i called him a c*nt more times in the game last night than in any game where he's played badly.
In an encouraging way of course. :D

Where I come from, the word c**t is a term of endearment.

eg

He‘s a good c**t

or

He‘s no a bad c**t

26 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Hindsight and all that.

Its definitely debatable whether McLiesh would play him but he had a decision to make in Haifa  as he had a player in Forrest who has been outstanding for celtic but never carried that form across to the national side. Based on that he didn't play Forrest. He'ss been forced to do so, Forrest has pulled his socks  up and showed the Scotland support what we've wanted to see for 25 caps, he showed us the player we see tearing defences apart week in week out. Its excellent news for Scotland

3 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

I think McLeish has found answer to our goalscoring problem. Simply  play players who have surname beginning with F.

Fletcher holding up the ball and laying it off to Fraser, Christie, Forrest and Armstrong is an amazing prospect for us. I wish we had another game this year to see this again

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Fletcher holding up the ball and laying it off to Fraser, Christie, Forrest and Armstrong is an amazing prospect for us. I wish we had another game this year to see this again

It is. My only concern is we weren’t nearly as good at winning back possession without McGinn. Currently I have no solution to this problem. Callum McGregor will keep getting better in his new role whilst Brown is injured. I can see Armstrong getting a run of games for Southampton and Christie will keep getting physically stronger for the next few years. 

16 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

March isn’t that far away really. 

I’m actually really looking forward to the qualifiers for the first time in a while. 

I’m not getting carried away based on winning a group we should have won but there are signs of improvement and we have a young group of players that can create chances and score goals. 

Edited by Texas Pete

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It is. My only concern is we weren’t nearly as good at winning back possession without McGinn. Currently I have no solution to this problem. Callum McGregor will keep getting better in his new role whilst Brown is injured. I can see Armstrong getting a run of games for Southampton and Christie will keep getting physically stronger for the next few years. 

Surely the solution is to play McGinn?

McGinn gives the ball away far too easily but he will improve. Particularly if Villa get promoted (unlikely this year although they are not that far away from the playoff positions) or if he moves to a club in the EPL. 

McGinn and McGregor can both play, and be effective, in the same team in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

McGinn gives the ball away far too easily but he will improve. Particularly if Villa get promoted (unlikely this year although they are not that far away from the playoff positions) or if he moves to a club in the EPL. 

McGinn and McGregor can both play, and be effective, in the same team in my opinion. 

Not sure about this. McGinn has his good points and his bad points. What we lack as a team is a bit of defensive organisation. Not surprising really as the core 4 (2 centerbacks and 2 defensive mids) have barely played together. I'd rather we had an organisational solution to the lack of closing down rather than just relying on playing a guy who will do it in a somewhat haphazard way. Refining the system so that anyone can slot in there seems the best way to me.

2 minutes ago, andyD said:

Not sure about this. McGinn has his good points and his bad points. What we lack as a team is a bit of defensive organisation. Not surprising really as the core 4 (2 centerbacks and 2 defensive mids) have barely played together. I'd rather we had an organisational solution to the lack of closing down rather than just relying on playing a guy who will do it in a somewhat haphazard way. Refining the system so that anyone can slot in there seems the best way to me.

We can talk systems and formations until we’re blue in the face but John McGinn will be a big player for us over the next 10 years. As will McGregor. 

49 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Who do you drop?